Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
To get smoother starts, just turn Auto-Hold off.
Lack of auto-hold in the US-version of ID.4 was one of my biggest complaints (HUD and auto-hold are available in the European versions). I'm not disabling it.

On the exit of my HOA, there is an incline and the ID.4 would roll back on this busy crossroad into cars behind me. I should try this on the Mach-E.

Ford should make the auto-hold and parking brake smoother. As a first try it is fine.

Here's a comment on Mach-E 1PD that I 100% agree with.

Sponsored

Last edited:

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Lack of auto-hold in the US-version of ID.4 was one of my biggest complaints (HUD and auto-hold are available in the European versions).
There was a lot of good stuff lacking in the US ID.4 - Heads up display, 360 degree surround view cameras, adaptive suspension, progressive steering - all available in Europe, but not in US. That's why I did not get the ID.4. I would have bought the European version.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
There was a lot of good stuff lacking in the US ID.4 - Heads up display, 360 degree surround view cameras, adaptive suspension, progressive steering - all available in Europe, but not in US. That's why I did not get the ID.4. I would have bought the European version.
Also, the Europeans are on a later version of software (2.3) that has numerous bugs fixes and makes the infotainment faster (supposedly). And the US hasn't received this update months later.

Because there's no HUD (it slides up and down into the dashboard) in the US version, behind the driver's dashboard is a giant wasted empty space.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
I'm likely in the minority, but all I drove was the Mach-E. When it first came out my wife (a pure car girl) and I both looked at each other and said "Holy sh*t, I want that car...". To be honest I was pretty nervous to test it as we were ready for disappointment - years ago we finally test drove our "dream car" - a Volvo Cross Country - and absolutely hated it! Disappointment ensued. But not this time. Immediate smiles as we pulled out from the dealership - the looks, the ride, the feel, the fact that it didn't feel like a golf cart. We drove it again the next week-end to be 100% sure and that was it. No point in wasting our time driving anything else...this is it.

Now just waiting for the '22s to arrive in....April? May? June? Dunno, but I'm happy to wait :)

miata

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
miata, towncar, highlander
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Pure anecdotal info only, but VWs go about 10 years and start having electrical issues. And they can be darn hard to trouble shoot. (I'd love to be corrected with real data however.) And granted the average new car buyer keeps his cars <10yrs, but it does speak to a product's design quality standards. In other words, Old Fords sell New Fords, or at least they do in my mind. (To say nothing of Toyotas!)

But one undeniable thing about the id4 is the charge port location. If you're plugging in every night, the average person is bound to eventually try to drive off with the thing still plugged in. MME's port location forces you to see that cable before you step in the car.

Now I suspect a major benefit of the CP & PP pins is to make it easy for the thing to disable driving off while connected, and surely VW has figured that out, but who wants to constantly have to get out, utter bad things about your failing memory, and then get back in at the start of an otherwise Blessed New Day?

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
But one undeniable thing about the id4 is the charge port location. If you're plugging in every night, the average person is bound to eventually try to drive off with the thing still plugged in. MME's port location forces you to see that cable before you step in the car.
All modern EVs do not allow you to drive with the cable connected. Maybe some older ones do?

Both the ID.4 and Mach-E have the port on the wrong side for (non-side facing) Superchargers also. When Superchargers open up in Europe, these two cars might not be allowed.

miata

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Not sure you can drive comfortably in an id4 with your arm out the window...definitely a deal-breaker for me. A cool-looking car is nice and all but I need to look cool too. :)

B25Nut

First Name
Charlee
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bsi-inc.com
Vehicles
2021 Premium MME 4EX Star White, 2019 Acura RDX,
Occupation
BSI Sales and Technical Manager
Country flag
"Lack of auto-hold in the US-version of ID.4 was one of my biggest complaints (HUD and auto-hold are available in the European versions). I'm not disabling it."

Turning Auto-Hold off only eliminates the function when the Mach-E is level. The MME will still not move if you are on an incline until you press the accelerator with the Auto-Hold off.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Both the ID.4 and Mach-E have the port on the wrong side for (non-side facing) Superchargers also. When Superchargers open up in Europe, these two cars might not be allowed.
For the rookie in the room - can you explain please?

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
For the rookie in the room - can you explain please?
Superchargers have very short cables (and thinner than the giant EA cables) and expect the car to have the port on the driver’s side rear (except for the side mounted chargers). It’s so short you often to have fully back into the parking spot until the wheels touch the concrete block.

This article visually explains the config

https://insideevs.com/news/545500/nontesla-evs-blocks-tesla-superchargers/

5bee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Automotive
Country flag
I have an ID.4 and like it. Is it sporty? No, it is not. Am I trading it for an MME? Very likely, yes. Nonetheless, I think it's a good car that will meet the needs of a majority of people, so I think that makes it an important EV. The form factor is closer to the CUV segment than the MME, so I expect there's more universal appeal in how the ID.4 is perceived. That matters very little to me, of course, and so I'm happy to move on to something that I think I'll enjoy a bit better.

One thing I'll say is that I think the wheel/tire selection and ride comfort have been triangulated better in the ID.4 than in the MME.
I test drove the ID4 and although bought the MME, I really did like it. I keep hearing and using the term "appliance on wheels" but I didn't get that feeling when driving it. I thought it was a nice ride. My biggest dislike was reports of clunky interface, which ironically is what MME get criticized for. Regardless , I think people owe it to themselves to test driven one.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Saw a US-built pre-production ID.4 at an EA charger today (free Thanksgiving charging weekend and all). Had manufacturer plates but looked like a production model.

Spoke the driver and watched him charge.

At 80% SoC the US-built ID.4 was accepting 90 kW!!!! I was watching the EA station in awe while my Mach-E on the other side was getting 8-9 kW at 83% SoC. Ford is massively throttling us. Driver/engineer said they now can peak 160 kW charge.

I also listened for the battery cooling fans... on the ID.4 it was blowing like a leaf blower. The Kona EV and Mach-E next to it... silent. Both the Kona and Mach-E throttle charging at high SoC. I was seeing single digit kW when that car was at 90% SoC.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag

miata

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
... battery cooling fans... on the ID.4 it was blowing like a leaf blower. The Kona EV and Mach-E next to it... silent...
I think the MachE has liquid cooling for the batteries, although at lesser pressure than coolant in an ICE so supposedly much more reliable. Does the id4 NOT have liquid cooling at all? That could be a feature not a bug. After all, who really cares how noisy their car is outside?

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I think the MachE has liquid cooling for the batteries, although at lesser pressure than coolant in an ICE so supposedly much more reliable. Does the id4 NOT have liquid cooling at all? That could be a feature not a bug. After all, who really cares how noisy their car is outside?
It does. I think the compressor is working overtime to cool the batteries. Other EV techs have mentioned that it is a good cooling design (now with the battery coolant pump problem.. it might not be reliable but that's a different problem)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Another ID.4 vs Mach-E thread 1637808790543

Another data point that is even more impressive. ID.4 is a 400V car while the Mach-E is a 450V car which means to get to 160 kW (or even 90 kW)... the ID.4 is pushing more amps/current through and needs to cool the battery even more due to heat.

Nevermind. Somebody else mentioned 450V but now that I dug up the values. I don't know the nominal voltage of the Mach-e. Max voltage doesn't matter.

https://generationstrom.com/2019/11/18/ford-mustang-mach-e-hv-battery-reverse-engineered/

Ford Mustang Mach-E Another ID.4 vs Mach-E thread 1637808833934

Last edited: