Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I installed my hatch cover on Saturday. I encountered some issues.

1) the front end by the seats was a very tight fit end to end. It took a fair amount of force to get it into the slots in the pieces added there.
2) there is a gap of about 2.5 inches between the roller piece and the seats. I can look down into this gap (with a flashlight) from the small rear triangle windows, and see a fair amount of that area. I am thinking of getting a piece of foam and pushing it into this gap, possibly gluing it to the roller housing to keep it in place. Here I am looking in the little window:

Ford Mustang Mach-E AOSK Mach E Retractable Cargo Cover frontga

3) the pieces that hold the pulled out end of the roller also left a peekable gap in the back end with my first attempt, and the next day one of them came off. I heated the back pieces and walls with a hair dryer on the second try, and I wedged a piece of wood in there overnight. (traces of that piece of cedar wood show on the left side in the picture below). I could see on the tape where it was barely stuck on the first time, just on the upper side of the wall seam.

I moved them back further, about 1.5 inches past the seam on the side wall. Before moving them back, I could look down in the back window and there was a gap there that I could see down into. After moving them back, the gap was pretty much closed, but at that point the roller was pulled out as far as it would go to be able to attach that. I looked from the back end and I see that the end pieces have a lot of room on each end, it is barely long enough to stay there if pushed to one side. It only has about 1/16 inch left before it would come out.

Ford Mustang Mach-E AOSK Mach E Retractable Cargo Cover normal-gap2
Ford Mustang Mach-E AOSK Mach E Retractable Cargo Cover normal-gap1

These are good under normal use, but there is almost enough room to push it out on one side by accident. It would not hurt to have these a bit longer, but there is not a lot of clearance on the sides when pulling it out.

Ford Mustang Mach-E AOSK Mach E Retractable Cargo Cover push-to-side-ga

Overall this is better than the OEM cloth piece, but there is room for improvement in the design

Last edited:

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
I installed my hatch cover on Saturday. I encountered some issues.

1) the front end by the seats was a very tight fit end to end. It took a fair amount of force to get it into the slots in the pieces added there.
2) there is a gap of about 2.5 inches between the roller piece and the seats. I can look down into this gap (with a flashlight) from the small rear triangle windows, and see a fair amount of that area. I am thinking of getting a piece of foam and pushing it into this gap, possibly gluing it to the roller housing to keep it in place. Here I am looking in the little window:

3) the pieces that hold the pulled out end of the roller also left a peekable gap in the back end with my first attempt, and the next day one of them came off. I heated the back pieces and walls with a hair dryer on the second try, and I wedged a piece of wood in there overnight. (traces of that piece of cedar wood show on the left side in the picture below). I could see on the tape where it was barely stuck on the first time, just on the upper side of the wall seam.

I moved them back further, about 1.5 inches past the seam on the side wall. Before moving them back, I could look down in the back window and there was a gap there that I could see down into. After moving them back, the gap was pretty much closed, but at that point the roller was pulled out as far as it would go to be able to attach that. I looked from the back end and I see that the end pieces have a lot of room on each end, it is barely long enough to stay there if pushed to one side. It only has about 1/16 inch left before it would come out.

These are good under normal use, but there is almost enough room to push it out on one side by accident. It would not hurt to have these a bit longer, but there is not a lot of clearance on the sides when pulling it out.

Overall this is better than the OEM cloth piece, but there is room for improvement in the design. I heated the back pieces and walls with a hair dryer on the second try, and I wedged a piece of wood in there overnight. (traces of that piece of cedar wood show on the left side in the picture). I could see on the tape where it was barely stuck on the first time, just on the upper side of the wall seam.
That's a sizable gap from the cover and the seat. Not really digging that.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
My cover keeps coming off, it pulls too hard and the taped on pieces in the back come off. I'm not happy with the design of this cover and I have decided to return it. I'm not going to put screws in to hold them on.

Mari76

First Name
Mari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E FE, 2013 Ford Explorer Limited
Country flag
My cover keeps coming off, it pulls too hard and the taped on pieces in the back come off. I'm not happy with the design of this cover and I have decided to return it. I'm not going to put screws in to hold them on.
I’m having the same issues with mine. I really like it but can’t get the adhesive pieces to stick. I think I’m gonna have to return mine.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
we actually have a mesh net designed for that, but for an unknown reason the cargo area of US version MME doesn't have the anchor points as those in CN version and EU version.
There is another idea for AOSK: Forward cargo anchors. ??

lbj

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ER Infinite Blue Metallic
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
What I'd be a lot more interested in is some sort of trunk organizer system. Something adjustable that can hook into the existing anchor points to keep stuff from sliding around the back.
I put this cargo organizer (https://www.weathertech.com/cargotech/) on my Amazon wish list for Christmas and have been very happy with it. YMMV

Bratapfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RWD SR
Country flag
@AOSK or anyone else here: what length of screws do you recommend to fix the two front holders? The two holders close to the seats work fine with the stickers provided however those to fix the cover once pulled do only hold when the trunk is covered. When not in use, they fall off regularly.

I Wonder what length of screws can be used without damaging anything behind that plastic piece? Any best practices?