Apple Maps Battery Preconditioning

acosmichippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Select Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
Also, does the car need 20 miles to precondition, or is it based on time from the start of navigation to a DCFC?
It entirely depends on the temperatures at the time, the colder it is the longer it'll take to precondition. Also it's not a binary issue - even if it only gets 50% of the way to the ideal battery temp that will still be a lot better than wherever it was initially on a cold day.
Sponsored

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
It entirely depends on the temperatures at the time, the colder it is the longer it'll take to precondition. Also it's not a binary issue - even if it only gets 50% of the way to the ideal battery temp that will still be a lot better than wherever it was initially on a cold day.
Not sure I understand. If someone has been driving for a couple hours on the highway, wouldn’t the battery be at optimal operating temperature regardless what the ambient temp is? Under this scenario, what is the preconditioning doing to battery’s temp (or other parameters)?

acosmichippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure I understand. If someone has been driving for a couple hours on the highway, wouldn’t the battery be at optimal operating temperature regardless what the ambient temp is? Under this scenario, what is the preconditioning doing to battery’s temp (or other parameters)?
I don't think the battery is at the ideal DCFC temp during normal operation (on cold days). That's what preconditioning is for.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
What is that ODBII system? Is that an attachment, software?
It is actually OBD-2 or On-Board Diagnostics-2. It is the standard connector and bus that manufacturers use to diagnose and maintain various vehicle systems. It’s been around for decades. đŸ˜ŠđŸ©

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I don't think the battery is at the ideal DCFC temp during normal operation (on cold days). That's what preconditioning is for.
Yep, depends on the loads imposed on the HV battery, the ambient temperature, humidity (which affects the rate of thermal transfer from the battery to the atmosphere), etc. đŸ˜ŠđŸ©

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We are talking past one another.

acosmichippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We are talking past one another.
I don't think so. earlier you said:

"If someone has been driving for a couple hours on the highway, wouldn’t the battery be at optimal operating temperature regardless what the ambient temp is?"

the simple answer to that question is "no".

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think so. earlier you said:

"If someone has been driving for a couple hours on the highway, wouldn’t the battery be at optimal operating temperature regardless what the ambient temp is?"

the simple answer to that question is "no".
Optimal temp for driving, not charging. I, of course, know that there's a difference between optimal driving and charging temps and getting to the latter is what pre-conditioning means. The premise that the battery is not at optimal driving temp because ambient temp is low doesn't make any sense. Why then do we have this terrible range in winter time? Full disclosure: I'm a mechanical guy, so might have slept through EE101 more soundly than I thought (terrible class, tbw).

acosmichippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The premise that the battery is not at optimal driving temp because ambient temp is low doesn't make any sense. Why then do we have this terrible range in winter time? Full disclosure: I'm a mechanical guy, so might have slept through EE101 more soundly than I thought (terrible class, tbw).
I was talking about DCFC temperature since that's what this topic is about. my understanding of preconditioning for DCFC is that it's mainly for improving the speed of the charge, not increasing the total range. Once your DCFC is done and the battery temp goes back down to its cold operating equilibrium the range will go back down as well.

theoretically you could keep the range high by constantly heating the battery, but that costs energy, which comes from the battery... you'd just be putting more cycles on the battery for little to no benefit.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
No, the battery does not heat up while driving. That’s a common misconception. In the winter it gets cold while driving.

If it’s less than 75°F outside, you should be using preconditioning to warm up the battery before arriving at a DCFC for optimal speeds. Same is true if it’s >95°F and it needs to cool.
Sponsored