Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT
Occupation
Certified
Country flag
Hello, not sure if this is been covered. This will be my first winter with the EV, I do preconditioning and the departure times when my car is plugged into the wall. Unfortunately at my work I do not have access to even a regular 110v outlet. Would it make sense to plan a departure time in cold weather without being plugged into the wall? Besides making the cabin cozier would there be a benefit to preheating the battery while unplugged?
Sponsored

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
People have gone back and forth in threads on this for a while. Generally the consensus is either “no, it won’t make much of a difference as far as the battery goes” to “yeah, you should do it anyway if you can because it’s better to let the car warm the battery without also having the additional stress of trying to move the car at the same time.”

So no good answer, but I’m personally of the latter thinking. If you choose this, make sure to allow it to precondition when not connected to power as it’s a separate switch.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Try it without and see. Regen and power will be limited if the pack is cold. You’ll also have less range with a cold pack. But if you have plenty to get home it’s probably OK. The pack will need to heat up before charging can occur.

If you are slamming a lot of regen on the way home then I might recommend preconditioning more.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Waste of time. Just do a remote start.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Batteries do not precondition if the car is not plugged in. Also not sure if they will precondition plugged into a Lvl 1 charger. Just autostart as @RickMachE suggests.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Batteries do not precondition if the car is not plugged in. Also not sure if they will precondition plugged into a Lvl 1 charger. Just autostart as @RickMachE suggests.
They will not precondition on 110v.
Sponsored