Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Select AWD comfort/tech pkg
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
I know this has been discussed but I could not find an answer. When I use the departure time to precondition my battery, I know it heats the cabin. Does it do this whether you leave the heat on or not? Also does it keep topped off the 12v battery as well as the traction battery? thanks to all
Sponsored

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I know this has been discussed but I could not find an answer. When I use the departure time to precondition my battery, I know it heats the cabin. Does it do this whether you leave the heat on or not? Also does it keep topped off the 12v battery as well as the traction battery? thanks to all
Yes; the car will condition the battery to its ideal temperature regardless of what you do with the cabin heat. That system is independent. (This only happens during preconditioning, or while the car is running, but not during remote start).

Regarding the 12v charging, you might want to check up on this thread. Yes, if it's operating normally, the car should be keeping your 12v topped off even while it sits (if it dips below 40% SoC), and while running or while the car is on, it's ALWAYS charging it.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/down-for-the-count.13252/

OP
OP

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Select AWD comfort/tech pkg
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
Yes; the car will condition the battery to its ideal temperature regardless of what you do with the cabin heat. That system is independent. (This only happens during preconditioning, or while the car is running, but not during remote start).

Regarding the 12v charging, you might want to check up on this thread. Yes, if it's operating normally, the car should be keeping your 12v topped off even while it sits (if it dips below 40% SoC), and while running or while the car is on, it's ALWAYS charging it.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/down-for-the-count.13252/
Thank you. I would assume from what you are saying that when you set for reconditioning, that it would top off the 12v battery if needed.

rzanzerkia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Acura TL, 2016 MB GLE350, 2021 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
I only have my car for 3 days.
But it's been very cold here (20s) in the northeast.
When I was in the car messing around with controls...
I got notification on the small screen "Due to Cold temperature, plug-in your car" (not exact words).
That leads me to believe it helps to plug in the car (NOTE: It didn't say anything about charging the car).
Has anyone else seen this message?

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Thank you. I would assume from what you are saying that when you set for reconditioning, that it would top off the 12v battery if needed.
I can't say for sure if the 12v is charged while preconditioning, but it would definitely stand to reason.

noway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Software developer
Country flag
The preconditioning, at least in remote start, may turn on the front windscreen (where fitted) and rear windscreen electrical heating cables, which will draw up towards 1kW of load on the 12V battery (no, there is no 400V running inside the windscreen, it is all 12V). If it did not charge the 12V battery it would fail pretty fast, probably within about 10 minutes of running.

SigSauer

First Name
Mark David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Preiumn in DMG, AWD, ER and 1928 Model A Ford
Occupation
Retired Sales Representative
Country flag
Not sure what I should do when winter hits and it's really cold. Should the car be charged every day?

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
Not sure what I should do when winter hits and it's really cold. Should the car be charged every day?
If I lived in an area where it got cold I would plug in whenever feasible.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
If it's convenient, I'd plug it in every night.

Set your upper charge limit at a level you feel comfortable with. I've got mine set to 85% at the moment, which is more than enough for me with my daily needs. Choose whatever you feel is appropriate.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
First off car must be plugged in to precondition battery. Second the car reverts to its last climate setting or 72 degrees depending on how you set up remote start. The reason it is recommended to plug in is that the car will use shore power to condition HV battery as needed while parked. Finally the HVB is used to maintain the LVB. Preconditioning, I believe, does not charge the LVB. This is my basic understanding but I have been wrong before!

ocr_salty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
Should warm the big battery to the optimum temperature…when it works. Set mine yesterday befor me a long journey and it didn’t precondition, was plugged in and everything.

SigSauer

First Name
Mark David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Preiumn in DMG, AWD, ER and 1928 Model A Ford
Occupation
Retired Sales Representative
Country flag
If I lived in an area where it got cold I would plug in whenever feasible.
Thanks, We have a charging station in our garage. Which will help.
Sponsored