Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Please take this with the understanding a large amount of humor.

I'm doing driving school with my wife this evening in the GT. She is petrified to drive this, but we have to do this. Some history: when she and I first met, I tried and tried to teach her how to drive a manual transmission, but came to realize that this just wasn't going to work. I believe that it was genetic as I experienced her father trying to drive a stick shift in Germany one time!

She drives over 25K miles a year in her job doing residential real estate appraisal, so it makes zero sense to me that she has such fear of the car. I've told her that this may be the easiest car to drive she has ever driven, but it's not easing her mind. We are going to switch to whisper mode, take it out of one-pedal driving and get started in a school parking lot. Any guidance? I have zero doubt once she drives the car, she will want to drive it a lot more. She is driving an Audi Q5 now, so is used to all wheel drive, etc.

Oh, and she has stated flat out - no video.

Keep us in your prayers!
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I hope you have not mashed the throttle while she’s in the car. That might be why she’s apprehensive. Make sure you play some nice soothing music for her at low volumes. 😊🐩

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would leave 1 pedal on. Limit speed if she panics. You can tell her to let off the pedal and the car will slow.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag

I'm doing driving school with my wife this evening in the GT. She is petrified to drive this, but we have to do this. Some history: when she and I first met, I tried and tried to teach her how to drive a manual transmission, but came to realize that this just wasn't going to work. I believe that it was genetic as I experienced her father trying to drive a stick shift in Germany one time!

She drives over 25K miles a year in her job doing residential real estate appraisal, so it makes zero sense to me that she has such fear of the car. I've told her that this may be the easiest car to drive she has ever driven, but it's not easing her mind. We are going to switch to whisper mode, take it out of one-pedal driving and get started in a school parking lot. Any guidance? I have zero doubt once she drives the car, she will want to drive it a lot more. She is driving an Audi Q5 now, so is used to all wheel drive, etc.

Keep us in your prayers!
Avoid parking lots with the parking blocks/chocks at the end of the parking spaces, painted lines only in case she has an “off” 😂. Seriously, I think it’s going to end up being much ado about nothing. Good luck 👍🏻

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
LOL
Giving driving lessons to the wife is kind of like a black man bringing barbecue to a Klan meeting. It’s just not going to end well.
Jes sayin

you might fire up the photo below before the “lesson”. Both of you

Jes sayin

https://images.app.goo.gl/jrnX6vfRxegfDsfK9

Last edited:

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Ford Flex. 2022 MME premium RWD ER o 1/26/22
Occupation
RN
Country flag

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I hope you have not mashed the throttle while she’s in the car.
Maybe Steve has the answer why, but it took a month before I could get my wife to drive my car. She flat out refused to use 1PD even though I think it is more intuitive. In Whisper and 1PD off, she was fine. She still doesn't like driving it (I can't figure out why) but I have gotten her to take it out alone. Baby steps!

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
LOL
Giving driving lessons to the wife is kind of like a black man bringing barbecue to a Klan meeting. It’s just not going to end well.
Jes sayin

you might fire up the photo below before the “lesson”. Both of you

Jes sayin

https://images.app.goo.gl/jrnX6vfRxegfDsfK9
I’m mostly entertained by your other posts, this one though, not so much. You probably need to edit or delete it. And I’m not referring to the 420 part.

SignMD

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e GTPE, 2023 BMW iX
Country flag
Maybe Steve has the answer why, but it took a month before I could get my wife to drive my car. She flat out refused to use 1PD even though I think it is more intuitive. In Whisper and 1PD off, she was fine. She still doesn't like driving it (I can't figure out why) but I have gotten her to take it out alone. Baby steps!
Took me a few days to get my wife to take her claws off her Macan when the Mach-e GTPE arrived two weeks ago...but told her I did want to keep the Porsche out of warranty (kinda made that up, I wanted the 12k equity). She's been driving the Mach-e for a week now and actual heard "love it" when she was taking to her sister about it. Think the magneride suspension helps soften things and I swapped out the Pirelli's for Vredestein all seasons so it rides much better. I had to order an Audi Q4 etron as part of the deal so she has the option to change to that when it arrives in 6-9 months...so time will tell what she ultimately chooses but she's liking the Mach-e so far

Last edited:

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
My wife loves her MME 4X. Flat out refuses to drive my GT-PE. I keep telling her it’s the same damn car unless you floor it. And even then sometimes the 4X is faster. But she resists as if the car is possessed.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
My wife loves her MME 4X. Flat out refuses to drive my GT-PE. I keep telling her it’s the same damn car unless you floor it. And even then sometimes the 4X is faster. But she resists as if the car is possessed.
But… The GT-PE has such a cushy ride… 🤪🐩

kkriskal

First Name
KK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT Cyber Orange
Country flag

Keep us in your prayers!
I recommend do Not use 1 Pedal to start with. This will get her the same feel as a regular car and once she is comfortable with the car, then you can experiment with the 1 pedal option. Just my opinion.

emersonsdad

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME CA R1
Country flag
😂 I took my 13 yr old to a school parking lot for his very 1st experience driving a car in the MME. I would never of done it in my truck. 1 pedal driving eased my mind in the whole ordeal because he could just take his foot off to come to a stop.
Sponsored