"Autopilot Doesn't Really Drive, Dummy"

Yoliber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TM3 SR+
Country flag
Well . . . I'm not waiting outside of my heated garage in an Ohio winter while I wait for the Mach E to pull out for me. I'll just get in in my nice warm garage before heading out thank you.
Actually with the smart summon you should be able to set a summon location from your mobile app. So you can sit in your car and tell it to leave the garage. That's if it works at least.

Personally I'll just use the right pedal.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
As an EE, I read and evaluate articles about autonomy in modern vehicles, and I know that as long as there are humans and unknown obstacles on public roads, we cannot trust the self-driving features completely. On private and special roads, the system can operate completey without human supervision.

Ford is presently testing autonomous valet parking with the garage specifically designed for that purpose. The driver parks the vehicle at one spot, vacates the vehicle of all occupants, and then the garage system works with the vehicle using V2I to guide and park it. Since there is no need to open a door, the vehicles are parked much closer, saving an average of 20% of space depending on the vehicle size and shape. The vehicle return is just as automated, where the garage system moves the vehicle to a delivery spot and the driver (and passengers) get in and take the vehicle out. The vehicle presently used for these test s the 2020 Escape. Read about it here: https://fordauthority.com/2020/08/autonomous-ford-escape-demo-vehicles-can-valet-park-themselves/

This system can be deployed on private property roads, and even in your own garage in the future. I see myself calling out my Mach-E and having it waiting for me with the A/C on. And after returning to my home, let it park itlsef in the garage, power off, and "refuel" itself with wireless chaging (either overhead or on the floor) getting ready for the next day I will need it.

But for public roads, we still need to sit in the driver's seat for now.
This is a cool story and really shows value of autonomous driving. This would be Level 4: no driver input, limited area of operation. I've re-posted this as a separate thread.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Well . . . I'm not waiting outside of my heated garage in an Ohio winter while I wait for the Mach E to pull out for me. I'll just get in in my nice warm garage before heading out thank you.
No. You press summon as you leave your building and it arrives at the "launchpad" of the garage when you get there. Watch the B-roll. It's really cool.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
As an EE, I read and evaluate articles about autonomy in modern vehicles, and I know that as long as there are humans and unknown obstacles on public roads, we cannot trust the self-driving features completely. On private and special roads, the system can operate completey without human supervision.

Ford is presently testing autonomous valet parking with the garage specifically designed for that purpose. The driver parks the vehicle at one spot, vacates the vehicle of all occupants, and then the garage system works with the vehicle using V2I to guide and park it. Since there is no need to open a door, the vehicles are parked much closer, saving an average of 20% of space depending on the vehicle size and shape. The vehicle return is just as automated, where the garage system moves the vehicle to a delivery spot and the driver (and passengers) get in and take the vehicle out. The vehicle presently used for these test s the 2020 Escape. Read about it here: https://fordauthority.com/2020/08/autonomous-ford-escape-demo-vehicles-can-valet-park-themselves/

This system can be deployed on private property roads, and even in your own garage in the future. I see myself calling out my Mach-E and having it waiting for me with the A/C on. And after returning to my home, let it park itlsef in the garage, power off, and "refuel" itself with wireless chaging (either overhead or on the floor) getting ready for the next day I will need it.

But for public roads, we still need to sit in the driver's seat for now.
Whoops--gotta remember to open the garage door before I call out my MME....

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
I believe that the MME is using the eyeQ4 chipset which is limited to level 3 automation.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I believe that the MME is using the eyeQ4 chipset which is limited to level 3 automation.
Although it can probably do a very limited level 4 like the parking garage.
Sponsored