OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I wonder if Ford could change the traction control behavior when in L, to prioritize getting unstuck in the snow or mud. If so, I assume we could receive it in an over-the-air update.
Sure, they could. But I don't think they will. The AWD system is fine. It's on par with most other crossovers.
Sponsored

Pacecar

First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 mustang official pacecar , 2018 outlander phev
Country flag
The Honda Pilot appears to handle the three wheel slip test easily.

Honda Pilot slip test
Why on the mach e and model Y test that used 4 roller setup and on the honda pilot test they used 5 roller setup?? It's easier with 5 roller because the wheel is less deeper in the roller setup. Anyone who as seen the 2 video realized that??

Screenshot_20210103-143446_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210103-143615_YouTube.jpg

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You never really "need" the L setting. But it's there in case you want to manually engage it.
And that can still be quite useful. There are times coming down mountains that I don't want it on cruise control. Sometimes you still want to manually vary the speed (especially on curvy mountain roads), but would prefer some lower-gear effect (higher regen) without riding the brake pedal.

It's really just gonna take some playing with to figure out what level of regen is preferable for each situation.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
You never really "need" the L setting. But it's there in case you want to manually engage it.
Agree. Just another example of Ford providing many choices to suit different driving styles and preferences. Some other EV manufacturers make you do things their way or no way at all. Ford has a different philosophy......they seem to let each user customize the driving experience to their content.

I mean.....we can pick from a variety of trim levels, motors, battery sizes, interior styles and many different exterior colors. I am glad there appears to me an MME for everyone who might be interested in an EV.

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why on the mach e and model Y test that used 4 roller setup and on the honda pilot test they used 5 roller setup?? It's easier with 5 roller because the wheel is less deeper in the roller setup. Anyone who as seen the 2 video realized that??
Because the Pilot test was a much longer time ago. They’ve changed their testing over the years.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Thanks for the explanations re what L is.

Sounds like it's there for people who don't realise it isn't needed any more!
Like my daughter. When she borrows my MME, she probably wont know how to navigate the menus so putting it in low to head down the mountain will be easier for her to figure out.

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And that can still be quite useful. There are times coming down mountains that I don't want it on cruise control. Sometimes you still want to manually vary the speed (especially on curvy mountain roads), but would prefer some lower-gear effect (higher regen) without riding the brake pedal.

It's really just gonna take some playing with to figure out what level of regen is preferable for each situation.
Yeah, I’m expecting to use that L button frequently. I’m glad that Ford included it.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I wonder if Ford could change the traction control behavior when in L, to prioritize getting unstuck in the snow or mud. If so, I assume we could receive it in an over-the-air update.
Actually a good idea. Might be that way already.....did they run that test in L to see if it was any different? (I didnt watch the entire video....)

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
Wow, what is that terrible drive train noise in the MME? Sounds really bad. Not a good first looks for the AWD. Hope they do not deliver cars with issues like that. I thought Ford did not have rattles and squeaks??

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Wow, what is that terrible drive train noise in the MME? Sounds really bad. Not a good first looks for the AWD. Hope they do not deliver cars with issues like that. I thought Ford did not have rattles and squeaks??
That was the rollers, not the car. (Not sure if this was a joke but I answered anyway.)

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Interesting trivia for those that are curious about these things....
General Motors early fully automatic transmissions (PowerGlide) had L and R right next to each other. They did that so users could easily switch back and forth between a low forward and reverse gears to help rock the car back and forth to free a vehicle stuck in mud, sand, snow etc.

Later the position of reverse gear changed to PRNDL because some drivers would accidentally pull down to reverse when they really wanted L.
Photo from my 55 Bel Air....

20210103_132117.jpg

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Did he test with TC on or off for the first three test? In standard gas cars with transfer cases, de-activating TC will help because the induced slippage will "encourage" the software to send more power to the non slipping wheels.
Watch the video will you & let me know.

Randy E.

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KIA Telluride EX 2018 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Occupation
Component Sales
Country flag
When will the automotive world - with or without the makers - begin calling the Model Y, and Mach-E "OUVs" meaning: On-road Utility Vehicles. The ground clearance makes a Honda Accord some off-road king! Seriously, these should do find in snow and highway/city streets. That is 100% what these vehicles are deigned for. Their is nothing traditional Utility Vehicle Explorer about them. Nothing other than storage hatchback utility. Thus they should be called OUVs...

Until that becomes a "thing" these vehicles will be forever made fun of in not being CUV's really of any kind. Manufacturers should get in front of this and call them what they are.
Sponsored