Bad main battery detected after 24-PU0102-CHG-SUFX

MikeM67

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE AWD XR (Man 8/25/2022 Del 10/25/2022)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
After updating 24-PU0102-CHG-SUFX on my 22 MME E4x the following day I was lit up with service vehicle soon/turtle mode as well as red ring with no ability to charge. I took it in the following day to Ford service and after some back and forth Ford tech team they determined that the main battery needed to be replaced. Just wondering if any others have had this experience and anything to look out for once the work is done. I've never had a lick of problems with the charge or the car itself until installing the update.
Sponsored

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
My SoH dropped from 95% to 85%. Vehicle has less than 10k miles. Some attribute this to my charging habits. We’ll see.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
The OBD-2 reported SoH on my Mustang went from 96% to 85% or something like that.

It's bogus in my case. Haven't seen any range reduction.

Last edited:
OP
OP

MikeM67

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ya I get the range guesstimates might change but replace the battery? Just wondering how pervasive that kind of failure is and others that have had it replaced anything to look out for.

Dhruval Shah

First Name
Dhruval
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
My SoH dropped from 95% to 85%. Vehicle has less than 10k miles. Some attribute this to my charging habits. We’ll see.
85% at 10k is wild. I have charged to 100% for 2 years every night when I plugged in. My SoH is still at 95%. So it might be inaccurate or needs to be looked at.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Interesting. My 37k '21 is now showing a SOH of 92% which I though a touch low but good to know it's all over the place and might change next month :)

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The OBD-2 repeated SoH on my Mustang we've from 96% to 85% or something like that.

It's bogus in my case. Haven't seen any range reduction.
I can’t tell the difference with range, given it’s still cold here. And I’m glad I’m not the only one, but why would Ford let that shit happen! It’s really dumb.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I can’t tell the difference with range, given it’s still cold here. And I’m glad I’m not the only one, but why would Ford let that shit happen! It’s really dumb.
Agreed, it's dumb. I'm certain it's a simple bug introduced somewhere in their calculation. My guess is that a parameter changed upstream from the SoH calculation itself and there wasn't anything in that parameter's documentation to state that the SoH needs to be calculated differently based on the change in the parameter.

I left my Mustang in Phoenix for a week while I was on travel. The temperatures creeped up to the 80s. I'd left the car at 100% charge after charging on L2 at the hotel overnight. Its estimated range went up to just over 300 miles.

But more directly, after having put almost 36,000 miles on the car, I have a good feel for how far I can go in various temperatures and there hasn't been a >30 mile range hit compared with the past two winters I've driven the car. Sure, the range has decreased seasonally, but not year-over-year.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
But more directly, after having put almost 36,000 miles on the car, I have a good feel for how far I can go in various temperatures and there hasn't been a >30 mile range hit compared with the past two winters I've driven the car. Sure, the range has decreased seasonally, but not year-over-year.
But maybe my battery will report <80% SoH by the time I get around to getting the HVBJB recall work done and I can get an entirely new battery for my trouble. :D:cool:😂🤣

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting. My 37k '21 is now showing a SOH of 92% which I though a touch low but good to know it's all over the place and might change next month :)
Do you take your EV through high to low occasionally? In my case, I’m mostly charging weekly between 50-80% and almost always on a DCFC. The car has been charged to 100% 4 times since day 1.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I try to drain down but always end up keeping it above 40% with an 85% ceiling. But really 90'ish isn't bad for 3 years/~40k.

OP
OP

MikeM67

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I level 3 charged 2x the week before the lights lit up as well, after only using level 3 2x in almost 2 years. Not sure if that had any impact on the issue. Also, was told by Ford that they are not replacing the HVJB as it is not included in the recall batch...that concerns me. Wondering if they will use the new battery type or if that is even possible with previous models.

thenew3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7, BMW X3, MME Premium 4X
Country flag
My SOH also went down after the HVBJB recall work. Prior to the recall work it was at 96.5%, after I got it back from recall it was at 92.5% This is on a 2021 Job 1 with almost 43k miles on it.

I'm also noticing a lot of fluctuation on the battery %. Prior to recall sometimes my battery % would drop by 1% while parked overnight. Now after the recall, sometime the battery % would increase by 2-3% overnight, just sitting parked in the driveway.

I don't know if there's a learning period for the new software, but it's been almost 2 months since I've had the recall work done, and that random increase in % overnight is still occurring.
Sponsored