Battery Questions

PNW_Chris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E, 2017 Tacoma TRD
Country flag
Is there a way to determine 100% which battery is installed? I'm running a Premium AWD w/ an extended battery. We've been driving this a bit over a month (around 500 miles on the odometer). I charge to 90% so I don't see the true projected range. At 90% it's typically 220 miles to empty (so about 240 miles range).
We typically get 4.1KW/H occassionally 3.1. I should be getting around a 270 mile range correct? Does this car need more time to "learn" or is there a way to verify the battery installed?
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Is there a way to determine 100% which battery is installed? I'm running a Premium AWD w/ an extended battery. We've been driving this a bit over a month (around 500 miles on the odometer). I charge to 90% so I don't see the true projected range. At 90% it's typically 220 miles to empty (so about 240 miles range).
We typically get 4.1KW/H occassionally 3.1. I should be getting around a 270 mile range correct? Does this car need more time to "learn" or is there a way to verify the battery installed?
If you are getting 220 miles on the guess-o-meter at 90% then you definitely have the extended range battery. The GOM has no idea the conditions of your next drive so it provides a conservative estimate based on your recent past driving. The better way to know your actual range is to use the navigation to somewhere far away. It will then base the calculations no only on past driving but on the roads and road speeds to plan to travel, as well as weather information.

As has been posted many times in multiple threads: don't worry about what the GOM says. Think about it like the range indicator on an electronic gas gauge. It has no idea where you are going so it may be wildly inaccurate. However, if you tell it where you are going, the car can make better estimates.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
3.1 x 88 = 272 miles of range. 4.1 x 88 = 360 miles of range. As noted, the estimate is overly conservative. I assume you mean 4.1 MILES/kWh from the car display screen.

wareagle1440

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mini Countryman & 2021 Mach E Ex.R. AWD
Occupation
Civil Plaintiff's Attorney
Country flag
Did you reset the driver history when you got your MME? I did and I'm averaging around the same as you (i've estimated between 3.7 and 3.9 for city driving and occasional highway in Denver) but mine is conservative and has me at 3.45. It will get more accurate the more you drive for sure. Mine adjusts for the temperature for sure. But I had 274 estimated miles the other day in Denver at 90% charge.

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Also in the PNW, and my guessometer was unwaveringly pessimistic until just this morning. After nearly 700 miles since resetting, my 90% suddenly jumped from ~220 to 236mi and 100% (filling up for a trip to the mountains tomorrow) hit 270mi for the first time. The GOM runs on sorcery and dark mysticism. If your Trip1 and Trip2 show over 3.1mi/kWh, then you're on track for 270mi+.
Sponsored