Battery Range Increase Over Time

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I had a question about charging to 90%. This is my practice, following the manual, but don't we only have access to a portion of the battery anyway? For my CA RT1, I can use 88kwh of the 98kwh battery available. So isn't there a buffer already even when charging to 100%? It seems odd that I'm only using 79kwh by charging as the manual recommends.
Everything you said is correct, yes. Ford has released 3kWh of the 98 for the 2022s, and supposedly eventually for the 2021s, so now we're at 92.9% utilization of the battery instead of 89.8%. That allows them to hit their 70% of battery will be usable in 8 years / 100,000 miles, because they can release all of it if needed.
Sponsored

kkriskal

First Name
KK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I had a question about charging to 90%. This is my practice, following the manual, but don't we only have access to a portion of the battery anyway? For my CA RT1, I can use 88kwh of the 98kwh battery available. So isn't there a buffer already even when charging to 100%? It seems odd that I'm only using 79kwh by charging as the manual recommends.
Someone in the forum mentioned that they spoke to one of the Ford engineers and according to them, if you charge it to 100% then the regen braking has no way to put energy back in to the battery because is already full. On the other hand, most of the article says that the reason to charge it only to 90% is to increase the longevity of the battery because you charge it to 90% display but since there is a buffer also in the battery which we do Not use, you effectively charge it to only 80%. And the sweet spot for the lithium batteries it between 20% and 80%.

Having said that, Ford gives 8 Years battery warranty, and they know that most owners who don't read up so much about batteries, or don't worry about their vehicles much using it a point a to point b commuting tool, will always charge their batteries to 100% everytime they plug it in at home.

And there is another recommendation on Not to use DCFC all the time to charge the vehicle. I personally know some Uber/Lyft drivers who use only DCFC to charge their vehicle (Leaf, Tesla etc.) and they bought their vehicle used and then have been using it for few years after that and they tell me they don't see any battery degradation/impact. I cannot personally verify that but that is what they claim. So I guess we will have different recommendations as manufactures have more data over the years as more people use EV's.

Last edited:

jeffvick2005

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 TSX, 2017 Civic, MACHE GT grabber blue
Occupation
CPA
Country flag
I have a MME GT on order so no experience yet...but with overnight home charging, is there a feature you can set on the vehicle so it will stop charging at 90%? I image most overnight charging will put the battery at 100% if there's nothing to shut it off.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I have a MME GT on order so no experience yet...but with overnight home charging, is there a feature you can set on the vehicle so it will stop charging at 90%? I image most overnight charging will put the battery at 100% if there's nothing to shut it off.
Yes, you can set it to any level you want, in the car or with the FordPass app.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Someone in the forum mentioned that they spoke to one of the Ford engineers and according to them, if you charge it to 100% then the regen braking has no way to put energy back in to the battery because is already full. ...
That is a good example of mis-information spread by agents of the company that didn't quite understand what the engineers are telling them. They repeat what they heard vs what was actually told to them.

The user can't charge to 100% so the issue with regen doesn't apply.

I see Max Regen Enabled (via scan tool) even with battery at 100% displayed. (which of course is NOT 100% actual).
Sponsored