Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
As battery degradation becomes more of an issue down the line, how realistic do you guys think it would be to swap out the individual packs inside the battery to get back more range? Would it be too expensive to get back 20% or so of range? The amount I drive I anticipate getting to 300k in another 4 years and would like to know if I should just plan on getting another EV at that point. So far, I've only heard on this Forum of Ford replacing entire batteries rather than diagnosing and replacing the individual cells.
Sponsored

thenew3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7, BMW X3, MME Premium 4X
Country flag
At 300k miles it may be cheaper to just replace it with a new car as other components (other than battery) will be worn out and need replacement.
I don't think Ford sells individual cells. There are 3rd parties that will repair Tesla batteries at the cell level (they salvage from other Tesla packs), but I don't think there are any 3rd party that do it for non-tesla vehicles (yet).

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
At 300k miles it may be cheaper to just replace it with a new car as other components (other than battery) will be worn out and need replacement.
I don't think Ford sells individual cells. There are 3rd parties that will repair Tesla batteries at the cell level (they salvage from other Tesla packs), but I don't think there are any 3rd party that do it for non-tesla vehicles (yet).
There are 3rd parties who repair and upgrade Leafs as well. Bjorn Nyland has several videos of what work was done to fix up his Frankenstein Leaf, including replacing some bad battery cells, and there's that shop in California the Kyle from Out of Spec had replace the inboard charger on his Leaf.

If the MME remains remains popular enough and long enough, a cottage industry likely will grow to maintain older MMEs, but if it's a more rare car with limited availability, like the RAV4 EV, options for maintaining and updating the cars probably will be much harder.
Sponsored