Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The jump pack is just to open the frunk. You could then connect it to the 12v auxiliary battery to turn on the computers in the car. Then your traction battery will charge your 12v battery. Just don't turn on the radio or lights or heat or anything else until it's charged up.
Honestly, the car will warn you for days that you need to replace the 12v battery before this ever happens. It's not a real issue to worry about. Both my Bev’s have their original battery. One is a 2015.
Correct. However, the concern is if the jump pack is stored in the car......and the doors won't open then how can you get to it in order to open the front compartment hood?

Agree on the 12v battery lasting much longer in a BEV compared to ICE. My ICE vehicles need batteries every 24 months.....pretty much like clockwork. My BEV still has it's original battery. 2017 model assembled in 2016.
Sponsored

Jim Glass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2019 Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Doesn't the Mach E have a 12v terminal in the trunk? The old cigar lighter type? I recall seeing one in some videos. If using the port in the bumper to open the car locks, what about using one of the small Instant chargers (scored under floor in the trunk) to jump the 12v battery? I don't think this is really necessary though.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Doesn't the Mach E have a 12v terminal in the trunk? The old cigar lighter type? I recall seeing one in some videos. If using the port in the bumper to open the car locks, what about using one of the small Instant chargers (scored under floor in the trunk) to jump the 12v battery? I don't think this is really necessary though.
Yes, there is a 12v cigarette lighter outlet in the back as well as one under the arm rest. However, the problem there is you still need to get into the vehicle to access the instant charger. This is the issue of concern -- what if the battery is dead and you can't get into the car.

BTW, if the super capacitor information is true and you can get into the car, the frunk release next to the driver's door is mechanical, not electronic.

OP
OP
JellyBelly

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Yes, there is a 12v cigarette lighter outlet in the back as well as one under the arm rest. However, the problem there is you still need to get into the vehicle to access the instant charger. This is the issue of concern -- what if the battery is dead and you can't get into the car.

BTW, if the super capacitor information is true and you can get into the car, the frunk release next to the driver's door is mechanical, not electronic.
Depending on of this becomes a pain or not, ford may update a future version with a mechanical key hole. Until then we have to experiment and see what works.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Depending on of this becomes a pain or not, ford may update a future version with a mechanical key hole. Until then we have to experiment and see what works.
I think your first phase IDs the important one: “Depending on of this becomes a pain or not”. We’ve been driving out Leaf for over 3 years and never had a single issue with the 12v battery.

This forum is great at upgrading teapots intro tempests.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I think your first phase IDs the important one: “Depending on of this becomes a pain or not”. We’ve been driving out Leaf for over 3 years and never had a single issue with the 12v battery.

This forum is great at upgrading teapots intro tempests.
epic fact

OP
OP
JellyBelly

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Old thread - reviving again - wondering if the forum members have any recommendations for a 12vbattery starter - preparing to buy one in case the MME 12v needs a charge.

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE, daughter drives Ford Focus Titanium
Country flag

RockDaphne98296

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE, 2016 F-350 Super Duty XLT
Occupation
Commercial Aerospace Interiors
Country flag
I have the 2017 Ford Fusion Energi PHEV - my car battery died, not the PHEV Battery but the 12V Battery which I found out powers the doors (including the door post keypad). I was a little surprised (and new to PHEVs at the time) that the fact that my BEV Battery was fully charged meant nothing. Long story short - it turned out the Fusion Energi's had a 12 V battery problem - something in the environmental system would run down the battery while parked, so they uploaded a SW patch and replaced my battery under warranty (at the third visit to the dealer for service). Since then I have carried a big fat charger, I chose the fatty boy STANLEY (J509) JUMPiT Portable Power Station Jump Starter: 1000 Peak/500 Instant Amps, USB Port, Battery Clamps because it has an air compressor and other ports to charge your phone (while camping for instance).

I have been wondering the past few months (actually a year now!) if I would continue to carry it in my trunk... it might be a bit of overkill but has come in super handy - I no longer have to risk my car when a friend or coworker needs a jump. This comes from watching my Dad (when I was just 21) zap my brand new 1992 Explorer...
I am wondering if the issue that is being experienced by a few forum members with their 12V batteries is the same as my Fusion experience - it seems awfully familiar... hopefully it wont take multiple service to resolve for those experiencing it now. For my own experience - the Fusion PHEV wasn't that new on the market - but if I hadn't looked it up on a forum just like this and pressured my dealer with the data, it likely would have taken more than three visits and frankly that was too many visits... It was a SW update and a battery replacement to fix it. And it hasn't happened again.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Old thread - reviving again - wondering if the forum members have any recommendations for a 12vbattery starter - preparing to buy one in case the MME 12v needs a charge.
I carry this one around with me. It started my brother's Focus Electric and my wife's C-Max Energi when their 12v batteries died.
Just have to make sure you press that little button on the side of the connector when jumping the dead battery.

20210216_124748.jpg

20210216_124803.jpg

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
We had this same discussion before. I will not be happy if you can pop the drunk with a 12v source when the auxiliary battery is not dead.
If it is that way they might be able to fix it with an OTA. That would make the drunk useless.
Opening the drunk with a dead battery is also in the manual.

I'm not an expert, please explain. How can the car know if I have the key fob if it's dead? Thanks.
Excuse me, I am *NOT* a useless drunk! And, if you want to get me to open up, just buy me a couple drinks no need to pop me!

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
we just need somewhere to store one of these - it's only 6 pounds.

1608597334641.png
The battery casing looks kinda grubby...was there a partial melt-down? I think a reaction port built into the roof could be fired into from space, by one of the many Jewish Space Lasers, to recharge any of the batteries...

jrkirkley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach-e premium
Occupation
IT
Country flag
anyone try one of These connected to the leads and a lithium pack mounted either in the bumper area or in the frunk? just need to charge it every so often. just hide the switch behind the trap door.
Sponsored