yasir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Landcruiser
Occupation
SEO expert
Country flag
I have been using HyperAx Hitech mountain bike rack for ages, and stilll I dont face any issue.
Sponsored

jinda

First Name
yasir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Landcruiser
Occupation
SEO expert
Country flag
If you're interested, I recommend this one.

jinda

First Name
yasir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Landcruiser
Occupation
SEO expert
Country flag
If you don't mind, here I would like to share a guide you might find it helpful when choosing a bike rack.

Jim_In_Mass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Long Range
Country flag
Do you know what the spacing between the bars is for this system?
I've got a roof box I've used on two cars (Ford Escape and Hyundai Santa Fe), wondering if I could use it on the Mach-E.
Sorry I do not know, not my car on the picture.

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
Mulling my bike rack options while waiting for my Mach-E to be transported the final 29,000 miles (oops, I mean 29 miles...it's been on 'quality hold,' for the past 14+ days, according to Ford).

Options: Roof Rack, Hitch Rack, SeaSucker Rack.

Roof rack
Pros: I've always had one, and prefer them. I already own Thule bike carriers.
Cons: Aerodynamic drag on an EV

Hitch Rack
Pros: My wife has a KĂĽat that we love for her XC40. I could use this by adding a hitch.
Cons: The need to cut the trim piece for a hitch. The rack covers the license plate on my wife's XC40 (so far, no police issues yet), and it also covers her rear camera, disabling the auto-backup stop system—may or may not occur with the Mach-E. Anyone using this rack who can comment?

Seasucker Rack
Pros: It's a roof rack, which I prefer. I can take it off when not needed, preventing aero drag and less range. No worry about rear cameras or license plate being blocked.
Cons: That little thought in the back of your mind that your thousands-of-dollars costing carbon fiber bike is being held on by suction cups, even though you've seen the video of a bike holding just fine while buzzing around on WRC car. They're pricey (but the other options aren't cheap, either!

At this point, I'm leaning towards the SeaSucker, but would love to hear comments from others! (unfortunately, I evidently have plenty of time to mull this over)

Genewich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Select
Country flag
Mulling my bike rack options while waiting for my Mach-E to be transported the final 29,000 miles (oops, I mean 29 miles...it's been on 'quality hold,' for the past 14+ days, according to Ford).

Roof rack

Hitch Rack
Pros: My wife has a KĂĽat that we love for her XC40. I could use this by adding a hitch.
Cons: The need to cut the trim piece for a hitch. The rack covers the license plate on my wife's XC40 (so far, no police issues yet), and it also covers her rear camera, disabling the auto-backup stop system—may or may not occur with the Mach-E. Anyone using this rack who can comment?

Seasucker Rack
Pros: It's a roof rack, which I prefer. I can take it off when not needed, preventing aero drag and less range. No worry about rear cameras or license plate being blocked.
Cons: That little thought in the back of your mind that your thousands-of-dollars costing carbon fiber bike is being held on by suction cups, even though you've seen the video of a bike holding just fine while buzzing around on WRC car. They're pricey (but the other options aren't cheap, either!

At this point, I'm leaning towards the SeaSucker, but would love to hear comments from others! (unfortunately, I evidently have plenty of time to mull this over)
I'm using a Kuat Sherpa (2 bike) with a Curt hitch. The Curt hitch is a little longer than some and leaves plenty of room between rack and car. The rack blocks the plate, but not the camera (at least not enough to bother me.) The rear rack hurts range minimally, even when loaded.

We also have a Sea Sucker, since my last car only had a 1.25 receiver and we needed to carry a third bike. I do not recommend it if you foresee any situation where you can't check the suction at least every couple of hours. I only use it for sub hour trips.

ETA: Reverse brake assist turns off, and parking sensors don't work with the rack on. It looks weird on the 360 camera. I find the rack easy enough to remove frequently

Last edited:

Jim_In_Mass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

Roof rack

Hitch Rack

Seasucker Rack

This is exactly where I am -

I'm a recreational triathlete, I've got a bike (carbon, but not high end), and a 1 1/4" bike hitch, and a cargo box for a roof rack. And a Mach-E scheduled to be built this week (12/13, fingers crossed).

None of the hitches I've seen so far are 1 1/4", which would solve that end of things. Hopefully in a few months there will be a smaller hitch available.

The roof box we use on family vacations. Thule Atlantis 1600. Minimum spacing on the roof bars is 24". Maybe the current Thule Aero bar option will work, maybe not. Who knows how far off the bars the box will hang - that might be scary too. And I'm not really ready to pull a family vacation with the Mach-E, with adding charging to the logistics/planning. But putting a bike up on the Thule bars, infrequently, I could be comfortable with. And I'd probably just leave the bars on the roof - I can't imagine the hit to mileage would be huge.....

And I did see the SeaSucker rack system, but like you I'm nervous about putting anything I'd like to keep on top of suction cups on a vehicle going highway speeds.

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E AWD Premium Ext Bat - Rapid Red
Country flag

Roof rack

Hitch Rack

Seasucker Rack

i use the seasucker system - its been great. The vacuum suction system creates a super tight seal.

check this out also...ha: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...sucks-and-thats-a-good-thing/article32620641/

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
This is exactly where I am -

I'm a recreational triathlete, I've got a bike (carbon, but not high end), and a 1 1/4" bike hitch, and a cargo box for a roof rack. And a Mach-E scheduled to be built this week (12/13, fingers crossed).

None of the hitches I've seen so far are 1 1/4", which would solve that end of things. Hopefully in a few months there will be a smaller hitch available.

The roof box we use on family vacations. Thule Atlantis 1600. Minimum spacing on the roof bars is 24". Maybe the current Thule Aero bar option will work, maybe not. Who knows how far off the bars the box will hang - that might be scary too. And I'm not really ready to pull a family vacation with the Mach-E, with adding charging to the logistics/planning. But putting a bike up on the Thule bars, infrequently, I could be comfortable with. And I'd probably just leave the bars on the roof - I can't imagine the hit to mileage would be huge.....

And I did see the SeaSucker rack system, but like you I'm nervous about putting anything I'd like to keep on top of suction cups on a vehicle going highway speeds.
I think I’m comfortable with the SeaSucker rack, so long as I’m diligent about maintaining/cleaning the suction cups (and replacing them when necessary [they’re inexpensive]), as well as wiping down the roof before attaching, as this is critical.

Since they come with protective covers for the cups, this should be the best option for me, since I’ll likely only use them for my MTB or when I need to transport my wife’s bike in addition to mine. Otherwise I can just put the bike inside the car.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I'd recommend going with the 2" hitch, and then using a reducer - the sturdy bolt-in ones don't add any wobble, and while you can always reduce down, it isn't as easy to expand up, so a 2" receiver is more future-proof in case you get a different rack or cargo tray later.

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag