Bugatti's design boss says MME looks like male genitalia......

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
After the abysmal failure of the PT Cruiser; I don't think anyone's jumping on this one any time soon. To be fair, the PT Cruiser's looks probably helped sell what was mechanically and performatively a total dog - but I think the overall package probably tainted the looks to the general public as a whole anyway.
The PT Cruiser was built on the Neon platform. My division at Chrysler made the transmissions for both cars and whenever I would take the PT prototype out for a test drive, people would jump into the street to see it. I never understood the interest personally, but it was a hit when it first came out probably because the styling was retro and different. If they had made an R/T version like the Neon, then we would be taking performance.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
The PT Cruiser was built on the Neon platform. My division at Chrysler made the transmissions for both cars and whenever I would take the PT prototype out for a test drive, people would jump into the street to see it. I never understood the interest personally, but it was a hit when it first came out probably because the styling was retro and different. If they had made an R/T version like the Neon, then we would be taking performance.
My wife had a gold PT Cruiser for a while when we lived in California. She absolutely loved it. Me, I thought it felt like an overweight truck on the road. But the retro styling was pretty cool I admit.

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
I'm sorry, but anyone buying a Bugatti has some insecurities and compensation issues of their own. And more disposable income than anyone should have.
How dare you pick on people buying a $3M dollar Passat or Jetta LOL.............

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
W12 engine, so two Passats, really. But who's counting? ;)
I think I read few years ago that someone tried to insure the Bugatti and it wasn't even on the list of vehicles to insure. They said they had to put it down as a V12 Jetta or Passat to get thru the insuring part.

I started laughing lol

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I think I read few years ago that someone tried to insure the Bugatti and it wasn't even on the list of vehicles to insure. They said they had to put it down as a V12 Jetta or Passat to get thru the insuring part.

I started laughing lol
Still laughing.

We complain about the HVBJB but how much do you want to bet these cars spend more time in time in the shop than on the road? And are their owners cursing because a $500k car should be more reliable?

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Best thread ever, just tell a bunch of not-a-Mustang owners that their car looks like a penis extender. 😂 thanks for the laughs! The irony of where the criticism comes from is not lost on me (and I’ve known similarly arrogant design types with British accents who’ve worked at a tech fruit company.)

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
If I were a Sigmund Freud student I would suggest that guy has problems and insecurities in bed. But since I'm not a Sigmund Freud student I won't say anything.
If you were a Sigmund Frued student I'd tell you that he's going to be late for class today.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Still laughing.

We complain about the HVBJB but how much do you want to bet these cars spend more time in time in the shop than on the road? And are their owners cursing because a $500k car should be more reliable?
The local super car dealer empire has their service and processing garage on my way out. They have a lot of trucks moving cars in and out. I think the test mechanics drive them more than the owners do.

sookestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Read this article about the upcoming Bugatti and there was a discussion with the Bugatti design chief where he said;

Bugatti, in my opinion, is the worst looking hyper-car out there. To be it looks like an elongated Volkswagen Beetle. Each to their own.

Having said that, I don't disagree that many of the EV profiles looks quite similar but I suspect designers are more concerned with aerodynamics and acheiving the best range as a selling feature.

My guess is that when batteries are much better and consistently get 500k on a 5-10m charge we will see new designs come into play.

On the flip side, Anscheidt also laments how boring current EV design has been considering the creative freedom "skateboard" platforms have afforded, even calling the Ford Mustang Mach-E's mostly unnecessarily long front end a "penis extension."
"I find that sometimes it's a shame that just because we're entering into an electric age for a lot of brands, why do all the cars all of a sudden look so bland? You know, electric cars very often have more power than combustion engine ones. So why can't a car suggest that to the onlooker, you know? I feel that a lot of cars are going neutral."
When we brought up the subject of the Mustang Mach-E's long ICE car-style hood, Anscheidt remarked, "Maybe you don't need to be stuck so much in this kinda retro, you know, excuse my French, this penis extension in front of the car. But at the same time, it's also a mistake to completely throw all of this visual agreement worldwide of what makes a car look sexy just for the sake of changing something."
"I don't like pretending that there is an engine in there and then it's not. It's kind of silly. But that's exactly the job of a chief designer. To find that calibration in order not to lose the customer and just be happy with your own work," he added
In short, it would be great if auto designers were more creative and moved away from the phallic designs that came out of having to accommodate big, gas-guzzling V8s up front. But, at this point, customers know what they like and sometimes what they like is indeed a big ol' [REDACTED].

The article in question.

I found it an interesting perspective as I don't know if any ev design is actually progressive and takes advantage of the new layout architecture.

shark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
I'm sorry, but if you can afford to buy a Bugatti you just bought the most expensive penis extension on the market.
Sponsored