Build Date Overdue and No Updates

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Yea, so....

I reserved my car the day of announcement back in November 2020 and went through with my order on June 30th after they opened orders. After getting the reservation money refunded back to me, the $500 went back to the dealer for the order. Turns out the dealer is keeping my deposit as non-refundable.... Very lame considering I bought my F-150 from them and I do all my servicing through the dealer. Like thousands of dollars worth of business.

Received a build "week" of December 20th. Its January 10th 2021 and I checked my status. Not built yet. No update to the build date, either. Probably due to Christmas/New Year? No word from the dealer.

Visited my dealer in early December because they had a "show" car available to look at without driving. Let them know I wanted to test drive when they get a demo car. Dealer said I would probably need to schedule a test drive and said most likely it would be 15 minutes "due to demand". I ordered a car and you can't give me more than 15 minutes?? Jeez what does $500 get you these days. A lookie-loo and smell of the new interior?

Three weeks ago I asked the same dealer if I could test drive the new Bronco Sport and make an appointment to do that cause they had one when I saw the Mach-E. Dealer says I need to work with the same guy who is handling my Mach-E reservation. I say, "Okay cool, call me back?"

Not a word from them since that time.

I think I am going to lose $500 and never go back to Ford again. Seriously bad customer service and complete lack of communication, respect of people's time, and no loyalty to your customer.

Why am I being treated like crap? I don't get it. Like I am actively trying to be nice to these people and have been patient and forget about all the things that are annoying me, but I think I need to move on.
I do get a few of your points. But also this vehicle is not anywhere for test drive yet. What if they have 5,000 other people to test drive the car. They give it to you for the day and the rest don't get a day to test drive for how many years? only 365 days a year. The mache is not sitting on the dealer lots. This is an order we made knowing this. If you want a test drive, drive your model when it arrives all you want.

Supply and demand play a factor. The dealer can only give you info if they know it. The ford tracker will tell you when it's in production. relax it's coming.
Sponsored

Razorbak86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW R1150GS, Lexus RX-450h
Country flag
Well, unfortunately, the residual value has already been revealed in other threads with financing terms released for the lease option. Ford itself is only going to give this vehicle like a 32% residual value after 2 or 3 years, I believe. Don't quote me on that, but its somewhere in that ballpark. Essentially, its very, very low, which hurts resale value. Lower than most vehicles out on the road except for like, say, a $150,000 sports car or something where values drop off a cliff after the first couple years. Similar type of deal here. Battery technology is to blame, I would imagine, and the ever improving nature of technology.
As @timbop said, your lease residuals are incorrect, but more importantly, residuals and depreciation are not the same. Lease residuals are set by the manufacturer to achieve a policy goal. If anything, the low residuals simply indicate that the MME is a hot vehicle, which we already know, and Ford appears to be trying to disincentivize leasing versus purchasing (preferably with Ford financing).

DBC said it best in another thread, so I will simply refer you to his post below.

Other than this is not in any shape or form the "expected depreciation"! It's the residual the manufacturers are choosing in order to move the metal. Want to move metal? Pick a high residual. Hot vehicle? Pick a lower one.

There is a reason why I could lease a $45K highest trim Chevy Bolt with every option available for less than $275/month -- not only did GM put money on the hood the residual was delusional. In fact the finance guy (and he was a guy) said: "Of course you are never going to exercise the option to buy". And I laughed and said: "Yup". We both knew the residual was laughably high.

Vehicles depreciate about 20% a year. Might be slightly lower or slightly higher but that's a decent starting point. Bottom line is that the residual number is meaningless on its own because there are other factors like lease cash and interest rates a company can use to offset residual values.

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
This is why I only buy tesla. No more dealing with lousy inconsistent dealers. Automakers need to band together and get rid of dealers. 2021, anything is possible ?
just because Ford/Ford dealer are doing a poor job at communication doesn't mean Tesla is the answer. I have read the service centers which are sorely lacking are truly awful. Not saying ford dealers have better service but I have a lot more choices in service centers

OP
OP

Psipunk

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford F-150, 2015 GMC Terrain
Country flag
As @timbop said, your lease residuals are incorrect, but more importantly, residuals and depreciation are not the same. Lease residuals are set by the manufacturer to achieve a policy goal. If anything, the low residuals simply indicate that the MME is a hot vehicle, which we already know, and Ford appears to be trying to disincentivize leasing versus purchasing (preferably with Ford financing).

DBC said it best in another thread, so I will simply refer you to his post below.
Here is my issue with this example you are providing.

Having a high residual "moves metal" by placing a high expectation of resale value in the future in order for the vehicle to "maintain value" over the risk of the lease term in order to bring the mothly payment down. This is counter-intuitive because, like the example states, its laughable that this person will buyout the term of the lease at such a high residual value.

Low payment, high residual leaves the dealer with a vehicle that is now 2-3 years older and in need of reconditioning to be resold. At a depreciated price. That doesn't sound conducive to making a profit when the initial lease term is so cheap there is already meager profit to be made in the first place.

"Hot car" means people are going to be saddled with higher than average lease costs because of a low residual and may as well buyout the lease term at the end because it "appears" that the car is now cheaper, meanwhile the buyer has lost considerable equity in the vehicle over the term of the lease with high lease payments. The dealer wins in this scenerio hand over fist.

However, depreciation is NOT a flat percentage like some people think. Many factors play into the resale value of a vehicle. Reliability, reputation, prior accident history, changes in market conditions, configurations, technology, etc.

When ever a new body style is released that model year, the prior body style cars usually always take a huge hit in resale value especially if the redesign is viewed favorably by the market.

Not trying to start an argument, but thats my experience with these things over the years and I see the depreciation on the Mach-E to be around 45-50% of MSRP by 2022 particularly because it did not actually hit the street ahead of its claimed 2021 model year. Selling 3 cars in 2020 doesn't matter to the market as there is no impact from that event in a sea of vehicle sales.

Keep in mind this vehicle is also low production and will already have a subdued street presence. Its really only going to be noticed by enthusiasts, which most people are not.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Here is my issue with this example you are providing.

Having a high residual "moves metal" by placing a high expectation of resale value in the future in order for the vehicle to "maintain value" over the risk of the lease term in order to bring the mothly payment down. This is counter-intuitive because, like the example states, its laughable that this person will buyout the term of the lease at such a high residual value.

Low payment, high residual leaves the dealer with a vehicle that is now 2-3 years older and in need of reconditioning to be resold. At a depreciated price. That doesn't sound conducive to making a profit when the initial lease term is so cheap there is already meager profit to be made in the first place.

"Hot car" means people are going to be saddled with higher than average lease costs because of a low residual and may as well buyout the lease term at the end because it "appears" that the car is now cheaper, meanwhile the buyer has lost considerable equity in the vehicle over the term of the lease with high lease payments. The dealer wins in this scenerio hand over fist.

However, depreciation is NOT a flat percentage like some people think. Many factors play into the resale value of a vehicle. Reliability, reputation, prior accident history, changes in market conditions, configurations, technology, etc.

When ever a new body style is released that model year, the prior body style cars usually always take a huge hit in resale value especially if the redesign is viewed favorably by the market.

Not trying to start an argument, but thats my experience with these things over the years and I see the depreciation on the Mach-E to be around 45-50% of MSRP by 2022 particularly because it did not actually hit the street ahead of its claimed 2021 model year. Selling 3 cars in 2020 doesn't matter to the market as there is no impact from that event in a sea of vehicle sales.

Keep in mind this vehicle is also low production and will already have a subdued street presence. Its really only going to be noticed by enthusiasts, which most people are not.
I think you've talked yourself out of this vehicle. There's nothing wrong with that. But you seem to have a negative view of not only Ford but the Mach-e as well. Things aren't going how you expected. We all understand that. Most of us expected our car by now. Didn't happen. Blame COVID-19. Sorry there is a pandemic going on, it sucks. We all had other plans too. But you do know that essential resources are now stretched past the breaking point for car, and all, manufacturers? And the pandemic isn't getting any better, it's getting worse -- everywhere. It's unfortunate that things didn't work out as everyone planned, but SARS-COV-2 is reality and it's here for a long time. Learn to adapt to the changes the industry is making. If not, move on until you're ready to look at it again. The Mach-e will be here for quite a few years.

OP
OP

Psipunk

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you've talked yourself out of this vehicle. There's nothing wrong with that. But you seem to have a negative view of not only Ford but the Mach-e as well. Things aren't going how you expected. We all understand that. Most of us expected our car by now. Didn't happen. Blame COVID-19. Sorry there is a pandemic going on, it sucks. We all had other plans too. But you do know that essential resources are now stretched past the breaking point for car, and all, manufacturers? And the pandemic isn't getting any better, it's getting worse -- everywhere. It's unfortunate that things didn't work out as everyone planned, but SARS-COV-2 is reality and it's here for a long time. Learn to adapt to the changes the industry is making. If not, move on until you're ready to look at it again. The Mach-e will be here for quite a few years.
Yes, of course Covid is here. Its not about adapting to those changes. I have a 5 year old in kindergarten doing remote learning at home on a laptop in class Mon-Fri and we spend 2 hours a day on homework. My wife works in healthcare and just got the corona virus vaccine last week. I know how to adapt, because we all have to that in order to make it through this stuff. =P

Yes, perhaps I am talking myself out of this vehicle. I just wanted to hear if other people have had the same experience with their dealer/order process, particularly with the "build date" being 2 weeks ago, and some of the other things I have encountered along the way.

People have sidetracked this conversation onto other topics and I have just responded, not intentional, but I am trying to respond with what is going on in my case out of respect to their statements. Everyone deserves to be heard.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to be running around with my busy work/home/kids/school life and I was hoping I wouldn't have to knock on the dealer's door. Its the weekend so I can read the forums all I want and get advice, but come tomorrow I won't have time anymore.

Thanks for the discussion and yes, you are right. The Mach-E and other electric vehicles will be around for years and probably be better even 2 years from now.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This is why I only buy tesla. No more dealing with lousy inconsistent dealers. Automakers need to band together and get rid of dealers. 2021, anything is possible ?
Uh...NO. No, NO, NOOOOO!!! Tesla customer service communication is bad. Granted they are 'friendly' and try to be helpful. But you can't get your service advisor to return any calls or emails. Have to proactively call everyday to get any worthwhile status updates. I understand the currently situation is bad across the board for EVERYONE. Point is it's not a world where Ford sucks and Tesla is great. Most every company is down the toilet. Its like a war zone out there, they are doing their best to focus on the job at hand...which is to build and deliver the cars to all of us. Would be great if we have up to the second status & location update on each of our cars but with limited resources, what would you like them to focus on?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, perhaps I am talking myself out of this vehicle. I just wanted to hear if other people have had the same experience with their dealer/order process, particularly with the "build date" being 2 weeks ago, and some of the other things I have encountered along the way.
Note that the plant was running about a week behind their build date schedule before the Christmas break. They shut down the line for about 10 days, so lots of people are 2 weeks past their build dates.

Have you looked up your vin on the Tracker tool? Does it show a production date?

OP
OP

Psipunk

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
[Logic has left the chat]
Not illogical. Factual. Check out the slate of electric vehicles coming out in 2022.

By the way, 50% of an MSRP of $55,000 is $27,500, which is still in line with the retail price of some new crossover SUVs currently on the market brand new.

In a year from now, lets say February 2022, I expect the resale value of the Mach-E to be around $32,000. That is approximately 58.1% and probably acheivable with a vehicle that has less than 20k miles. Much more than that resale value would be pushing it. Not illogical nor unreasonable.

There is simply no stock or reliability in this model. You can't expect it to retain a lot of value. Thats the illogical thing to assume. Car manufacturers/vehicle models that have a proven track record of reliability/utility have the highest retained values.

My Ford F-150, on the other hand, retains value very well because its a truck and can be used for commercial purposes and also it can be reconfigured after market for all types of uses. Parts are also cheap and its affordable to fix. Its very common on the road and has a proven track record. My 2015 F-150 has like 65k miles on it and I bet I can still get like 25k-27k for it today because it has payload package, towing package, low miles, etc. etc. Thats after owning it for 6 years and paying like 35k for it brand new. Lol Can't really beat that in terms of how awesome the F-150 retains value.

Its just my opinion. You don't have to agree with it, but please be respectful. =)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Not illogical. Factual. Check out the slate of electric vehicles coming out in 2022.

By the way, 50% of an MSRP of $55,000 is $27,500, which is still in line with the retail price of some new crossover SUVs currently on the market brand new.

In a year from now, lets say February 2022, I expect the resale value of the Mach-E to be around $32,000. That is approximately 58.1% and probably acheivable with a vehicle that has less than 20k miles. Much more than that resale value would be pushing it. Not illogical nor unreasonable.

There is simply no stock or reliability in this model. You can't expect it to retain a lot of value. Thats the illogical thing to assume. Car manufacturers/vehicle models that have a proven track record of reliability/utility have the highest retained values.

My Ford F-150, on the other hand, retains value very well because its a truck and can be used for commercial purposes and also it can be reconfigured after market for all types of uses. Parts are also cheap and its affordable to fix. Its very common on the road and has a proven track record. My 2015 F-150 has like 65k miles on it and I bet I can still get like 25k-27k for it today because it has payload package, towing package, low miles, etc. etc. Thats after owning it for 6 years and paying like 35k for it brand new. Lol Can't really beat that in terms of how awesome the F-150 retains value.

Its just my opinion. You don't have to agree with it, but please be respectful. =)
Do what @ChasingCoral suggested. Use the forum VIN tracker to see where your vehicle is at in production. Your dealer can give you more detailed info if it’s actually being made.

The factory was between 3 days and a week behind before the holiday hiatus. Nothing was built. It just started up again on Monday. It takes a week or longer to build the car. Your car will get built, but it takes time and they’re behind because there’s a pandemic. I know you know that, but the pandemic extends beyond each of our individual worlds. It’s disrupted literally everything. Nothing will go as expected, even our revised schedules. We shouldn’t be surprised that there’s a delay.

Use the tracker. Ask the dealer for detailed stays updates. And wait.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yea, so....

I reserved my car the day of announcement back in November 2020 and went through with my order on June 30th after they opened orders. After getting the reservation money refunded back to me, the $500 went back to the dealer for the order. Turns out the dealer is keeping my deposit as non-refundable.... Very lame considering I bought my F-150 from them and I do all my servicing through the dealer. Like thousands of dollars worth of business.

Received a build "week" of December 20th. Its January 10th 2021 and I checked my status. Not built yet. No update to the build date, either. Probably due to Christmas/New Year? No word from the dealer.

Visited my dealer in early December because they had a "show" car available to look at without driving. Let them know I wanted to test drive when they get a demo car. Dealer said I would probably need to schedule a test drive and said most likely it would be 15 minutes "due to demand". I ordered a car and you can't give me more than 15 minutes?? Jeez what does $500 get you these days. A lookie-loo and smell of the new interior?

Three weeks ago I asked the same dealer if I could test drive the new Bronco Sport and make an appointment to do that cause they had one when I saw the Mach-E. Dealer says I need to work with the same guy who is handling my Mach-E reservation. I say, "Okay cool, call me back?"

Not a word from them since that time.

I think I am going to lose $500 and never go back to Ford again. Seriously bad customer service and complete lack of communication, respect of people's time, and no loyalty to your customer.

Why am I being treated like crap? I don't get it. Like I am actively trying to be nice to these people and have been patient and forget about all the things that are annoying me, but I think I need to move on.
Thank you to your wife!! Build week of Dec 20 also for me, just got confirmation through the forum tracker tool that it was built on Friday Jan 8. Use the tracker to check sometime on Monday, tomorrow. It may already be built. The Ford Owner web site is running way behind what it says on the tracker tool. I am one of the fortunate ones who has had a very good dealer experience. I introduced myself to the General Manager last Spring and again after I confirmed my order at the end of June. He remembered me and has kept me informed, provided my VIN when it became available. There are good ones out there. If yours has been built, I doubt if you can change dealers this late in the game, but call Ford Customer Service if you want to complain/get info/change dealer. Good luck!

OP
OP

Psipunk

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do what @ChasingCoral suggested. Use the forum VIN tracker to see where your vehicle is at in production. Your dealer can give you more detailed info if it’s actually being made.

The factory was between 3 days and a week behind before the holiday hiatus. Nothing was built. It just started up again on Monday. It takes a week or longer to build the car. Your car will get built, but it takes time and they’re behind because there’s a pandemic. I know you know that, but the pandemic extends beyond each of our individual worlds. It’s disrupted literally everything. Nothing will go as expected, even our revised schedules. We shouldn’t be surprised that there’s a delay.

Use the tracker. Ask the dealer for detailed stays updates. And wait.

I am going to call tomorrow and see if I can get the VIN and try ro
Thank you to your wife!! Build week of Dec 20 also for me, just got confirmation through the forum tracker tool that it was built on Friday Jan 8. Use the tracker to check sometime on Monday, tomorrow. It may already be built. The Ford Owner web site is running way behind what it says on the tracker tool. I am one of the fortunate ones who has had a very good dealer experience. I introduced myself to the General Manager last Spring and again after I confirmed my order at the end of June. He remembered me and has kept me informed, provided my VIN when it became available. There are good ones out there. If yours has been built, I doubt if you can change dealers this late in the game, but call Ford Customer Service if you want to complain/get info/change dealer. Good luck!
Thank you for the positive feedback and thank you for your kind comments regarding my wife. Its nice to hear someone is having a good experience with their dealership. There are good dealers out there.

I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and get my VIN if its available. Then I will plug it into the VIN tracking tool.

However, if they tell me they will call me back and all that nonsense again like last time, I am going to call it quits on them.

I think people are misconstruing my words. The issue was never about the pandemic, but about the dealer and what is happening on the official website. I think its great we have all these extra tools on the forum that people have built out of excitement for their vehicles. Clearly a lot of people feel passionate about the car and defending Ford, but jeez.... Its my opinion none of that should be necessary. The communication from the company/dealer should suffice.

I am a Ford customer myself, and actually own Ford stock, but I am also not being a straight fanboy or defending them when things are not to my liking. Thats only fair.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I am going to call tomorrow and see if I can get the VIN and try ro

Thank you for the positive feedback and thank you for your kind comments regarding my wife. Its nice to hear someone is having a good experience with their dealership. There are good dealers out there.

I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and get my VIN if its available. Then I will plug it into the VIN tracking tool.

However, if they tell me they will call me back and all that nonsense again like last time, I am going to call it quits on them.

I think people are misconstruing my words. The issue was never about the pandemic, but about the dealer and what is happening on the official website. I think its great we have all these extra tools on the forum that people have built out of excitement for their vehicles. Clearly a lot of people feel passionate about the car and defending Ford, but jeez.... Its my opinion none of that should be necessary. The communication from the company/dealer should suffice.

I am a Ford customer myself, and actually own Ford stock, but I am also not being a straight fanboy or defending them when things are not to my liking. Thats only fair.
Again Some of you know some don't My mache was going to be built on 12-20-2020. I could have moved it up to an earlier date. Didn't was fine where it was. Guess what still not built. I'm with the rest of you. They are trying to catch up. I think mine will hit Bodyshop today. many of 12-20-2020 will be getting finished this week. That is about where they are at right now.

Normal nope, Nothing will be normal this year also.

Could be worse. 40% of the world's auto manufacturers. are running day to day on certain parts and having to shut down days or weeks. Be glad right now the mache is not one of them.

Illinibird

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Acura MDX Adv; 2016 Titanium Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
retired Endodontist (root canal specialist) and Clinical Assistant Professor
Country flag
Again Some of you know some don't My mache was going to be built on 12-20-2020. I could have moved it up to an earlier date. Didn't was fine where it was. Guess what still not built. I'm with the rest of you. They are trying to catch up. I think mine will hit Bodyshop today. many of 12-20-2020 will be getting finished this week. That is about where they are at right now.

Normal nope, Nothing will be normal this year also.

Could be worse. 40% of the world's auto manufacturers. are running day to day on certain parts and having to shut down days or weeks. Be glad right now the mache is not one of them.
Thank you for that explanation and information. I suppose it doesn’t remove all the angst I see expressed on this forum but at least you are communicating to everyone what the score is and why things are the way they are. :)
Sponsored