ODBMongoose

First Name
Niels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SR RWD Mach-E Star White Tech Pack Plus
Country flag
I have been doubting to post this but after two seriously faulty detours proposed by Garmin, I wanted to share to see if I'm the only one having this issue.
In recent weeks Ive been going on several longer trips in France and The Netherlands. Because I like to have charge sessions included in the trip, I try use the built in Garmin system as much as I can instead of the Google navi via Android auto.
Twice, Garmin suggested a detour when I hit a heavy traffic jam. But also, these two detours sent me into the countryside. I mean way back away off the highway. Into the smallest villages. I was even detouring once for about 30 minutes when I bumped into a road block. So there I was, stuck about 50 Kms away of the highway, in the middle of nowhere in front of a road block Garmin didnt know of. So I quickly opened Google maps to see if it had the solution. Yes it had and it knew of the readblock. Going all the way back was Google's suggestion. I really shouted at the damn onboard navigation and the whole detour costed me about 1 hour!!!!. This didnt just happen to me once - I had several really bad detours, so now I have both my Garmin and Google maps active. And when driving into heavy traffic, in about 40% of the times, Garmin wants to send my way into the countryside when Google says its just a temp delay and staying on highway is quicker. All the times I followed Garmin I ended up waaaaay off course in the countryside making a lot of extra miles and wasting energy. I also notice its sometimes sends me to charging stations that are really slow or broken. Its even looks as if it want to detour me to stations that are way off my course...but thats just a hunch.

Im about to permanently stop using the onboard navi which is an issue as Gmaps does not include charging sessions. ABRP works nicely but then I need to look at my phone all the time
Am I the only one having this problem?

Good to know to point out that I really love the car when I drive it. It's just the software that's terrible
Sponsored

Last edited:

metalpro2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e 1st edition
Occupation
Software architect
Country flag
Same experience this summer. However, things have improved 'in the backend' by Ford. Check your SYNC version (mine 263) and make sure it is the latest and the improved backend will be used.

When I noticed the update (visual clue: a dotted line is used for the road already covered) I decided to give it another chance.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Google has been the top dog for navigation for forever. Waze (owned by Google) is best for interactive real time traffic but the interface is kinda clunky, I wish they would just absorb it into the Google app.
Built in Navs can’t compete with tracking millions of cell phones in real time. Maybe just ignore the detour recommendations when using the built in nav.

jojomontag

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
My wife and I stopped using it. It takes us to streets on the backside of major addresses (i.e. restaurant in large building but Garmin took us to a house on the street behind... said we were at our destination). My favorite is that it says my home address is smack dab in the middle of an intersection. My house is halfway down the street--nowhere near the intersection. You are right--useless, especially if you are going somewhere you have never been before.

Brutakus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Select AWD Comfort/Tech Package
Country flag
I attempted to grill Ford about why their maps for Sync4 are so outdated for a system that JUST came out. (tells you to go down streets that NO LONGER EXIST and havent for at least a year or more or down streets that have changed to 1-way a long time ago, etc)

They first attempted to push me off onto whoever sells the maps for their Sync3 to "buy an update" before I had to explain to them that Sync4 is advertised as up-to-date maps and includes updates and a subscription for 3 years. She then pushed me off to the Ford Marketing Department who are LITERALLY useless.

Still haven't gotten any answer besides "keep an eye out for an update very soon" and that was a month ago.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Is it even Garmin? I think they are using Here maps (at least they do in the FordPass app).

My own situation puts me at home on a different street.:oops: So I went to the Here Map Creator and looked at their data and they had my house number far off in a field (and many others nearby were out of position as well). You can edit and make the changes but you still to wait for Ford to pickup the latest map data.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have been doubting to post this but after two seriously faulty detours proposed by Garmin, I wanted to share to see if I'm the only one having this issue.
In recent weeks Ive been going on several longer trips in France and The Netherlands. Because I like to have charge sessions included in the trip, I try use the built in Garmin system as much as I can instead of the Google navi via Android auto.
Twice, Garmin suggested a detour when I hit a heavy traffic jam. But also, these two detours sent me into the countryside. I mean way back away of the highway. Into the smallest of villages. I was even detouring once for about 30 minutes when I bumped into a road block. So there I was, stuck about 50 Kms away of the highway, in the middle of nowhere in front of a road block Garmin didnt know of. So I quickly opened Google maps to see if it had the solution. Yes it had. Going all the way back. I really shouted at the damn onboard navigation. This didnt just happen to me once - I had several really bad detours, so now I have both my Garmin and Google maps active. And when driving into heavy traffic, in about 40% of the times, Garmin wants to send my way into the countryside when Google says its just a temp delay and staying on highway is quicker. All the times I followed Garmin I ended up waaaaay off course in the countryside making a lot of extra miles and wasting energy. I also notice its sometimes sends me to charging stations that are really slow or broken. Its even looks as if it want to detour me to stations that are way off my course...but thats just a hunch.
Im about to permanently stop using the onboard navi which is an issue as Gmaps does not include charging sessions. ABRP works nicely but then I need to look at my phone all the time
Am I the only one having this problem?
Here in the U.S. the native nav has been very good in my opinion. Some of my destinations are new construction so the address technically doesn't exist so that can sometimes be a problem but those instances have been quite rare.

However, I did notice that it had me in the wrong lane though. It showed me in lane 4 when I was actually in lane three (counting from the left) might be an issue for BlueCruise users? Not sure. Otherwise I really like the native nav because the turn guidance is usually very representative of how the roads are actually built in my area.

20210910_132750.jpg

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I quit using it as well. It is especially bad with picking up construction zones and proper detours.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My wife and I stopped using it. It takes us to streets on the backside of major addresses (i.e. restaurant in large building but Garmin took us to a house on the street behind... said we were at our destination). My favorite is that it says my home address is smack dab in the middle of an intersection. My house is halfway down the street--nowhere near the intersection. You are right--useless, especially if you are going somewhere you have never been before.
Same for us. Ford wants us to pay $90 yr for this nav. after free trial runs out. Are you kidding,me. A service for navigation.
We use Google exclusively and it's free.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Same for us. Ford wants us to pay $90 yr for this nav. after free trial runs out. Are you kidding,me. A service for navigation.
We use Google exclusively and it's free.
I suspect the fee will be for live traffic and map updates. I doubt they will turn off the navigation system.
Sponsored