Buy a loaner / test drive unit

gafear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Hi,

I'm probably looking to buy a Mach E that is currently a loaner / test drive in one of the dealership. Anything I should watch for?

They told me they would inspect and fiz anything on the car, and all the warranties still hold true.

Car will have ~4k miles. They will sell at roughly the MRSP but will include taxes, titles, etc. So in total would be 4-5k cheaper.

Is it a good deal?
Sponsored

NCSolarFarmer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Ram 2500 & 3500, old Leaf, Chrysler 300
Country flag
I have the same "opportunity." Other than the color, and the car being at the other end of the state (which isn't really a big deal), their car meets my needs (premium, RWD, ER.) One thing I am not clear on: are they selling these loaners with from 2K to 6K miles as new or used? It may not really matter since the ITC (Investment Tax credit) from the IRS Form 8936 instructions does not require that the car be acquired 'new'. From the instructions for form 8936:

The following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.
• You are the owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased, only the lessor and not the lessee, is entitled to the credit.
• You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year.
• The vehicle is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways.
• The original use of the vehicle began with you.
• You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale.
• You use the vehicle primarily in the United States

It looks like the federal credit is up to $7,500 $2,500. Since the credit isn't in jeopardy for buying 'used' from a dealer, this may be a moot point.

To answer the question, it seems like a reasonable 'deal' to me. Of course some people may prefer to wait for what they want... it seems to be a personal preference of time waiting vs. a little extra money.

Last edited:

sunkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium RWD ext. range
Country flag
From the instructions for form 8936:

I think that's the crux right there. My understanding from talking to a couple of dealers about their loaners is that the car will be sold as used and won't be eligible for the tax credit. What I have seen in posts from others that bought one is that the dealer typically subtracted the $7,500 (and then some) from the MSRP.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Hi,

I'm probably looking to buy a Mach E that is currently a loaner / test drive in one of the dealership. Anything I should watch for?

They told me they would inspect and fiz anything on the car, and all the warranties still hold true.

Car will have ~4k miles. They will sell at roughly the MRSP but will include taxes, titles, etc. So in total would be 4-5k cheaper.

Is it a good deal?
Right now I'd say it is a really good deal if the car is being sold as new. Whether FCTP cars are sold as new or used depends on state laws. We've seen posts on here where many dealers are trying to add ADM to FCTP sales because the cars are in such demand. An effective $4-5K savings if you are still able to get the tax credit (sold as new) sounds great.

I have the same "opportunity." Other than the color, and the car being at the other end of the state (which isn't really a big deal), their car meets my needs (premium, RWD, ER.) One thing I am not clear on: are they selling these loaners with from 2K to 6K miles as new or used? It may not really matter since the ITC (Investment Tax credit) from the IRS Form 8936 instructions does not require that the car be acquired 'new'. From the instructions for form 8936:

• You are the owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased, only the lessor and not the lessee, is entitled to the credit.
• You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year.
• The vehicle is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways.
• You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale.
• You use the vehicle primarily in the United States

It looks like the federal credit is up to $7,500 $2,500. Since the credit isn't in jeopardy for buying 'used' from a dealer, this may be a moot point.

To answer the question, it seems like a reasonable 'deal' to me. Of course some people may prefer to wait for what they want... it seems to be a personal preference of time waiting vs. a little extra money.
Here again, the question comes down to state laws. Ford has a special program that applies to states where the FCTP has to be sold as used, invalidating the tax credit. This was discussed in another thread. The information for that program is here:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Buy a loaner / test drive unit 979B0786-DC7D-47DD-9974-E3479C9C37C7

Ford Mustang Mach-E Buy a loaner / test drive unit C8C5B7CA-5973-48DD-879A-D6EB8BD617D9

The punchline here is you need to check to see if your state will allow the FCTP car to be sold to you as the first owner. If not, then your final deal should be $7,500 UNDER MSRP as you won't be able to get the tax incentive from the IRS (and maybe your state's incentives).

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
Right now I'd say it is a really good deal if the car is being sold as new. Whether FCTP cars are sold as new or used depends on state laws. We've seen posts on here where many dealers are trying to add ADM to FCTP sales because the cars are in such demand. An effective $4-5K savings if you are still able to get the tax credit (sold as new) sounds great.

Here again, the question comes down to state laws. Ford has a special program that applies to states where the FCTP has to be sold as used, invalidating the tax credit. This was discussed in another thread. The information for that program is here:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Buy a loaner / test drive unit C8C5B7CA-5973-48DD-879A-D6EB8BD617D9

The punchline here is you need to check to see if your state will allow the FCTP car to be sold to you as the first owner. If not, then your final deal should be $7,500 UNDER MSRP as you won't be able to get the tax incentive from the IRS (and maybe your state's incentives).
Ford's take on it is all well and good, but I would want clarification from the IRS due to this sentence:
The original use of the vehicle began with you.