Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do?

JBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RWD SR
Country flag
Your logic seems sound. I would be very wary about using front springs developed for the AWD in a RWD MME, because weight does seem to have a significant impact on ride quality in my car. Less weight in the front may cause more bounce, not less.

Here is another alternative that might help with bounce, but probably not. I can envision more bounce after putting these on:

https://www.steeda.com/hr-springs-51695-mach-e-sport-lowering-springs#/filter:ss_ymm:Mach-E$253E2021
Your link shows springs that are suited for ER and SR (dispite the weight difference) but AWD or RWD is not mentioned at all. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me anymore.

100KG more or less could make all the difference with springs but the question is, does it ....?

edit, I could always put 100KG extra load in the frunk to offset for the missing AWD extra motor :rolleyes:
edit 2, think of it, I could also put and extra 100kg in the trunk with the current springs to get rid of the bouncyness 🤨
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Your link shows springs that are suited for ER and SR (dispite the weight difference) but AWD or RWD is not mentioned at all. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me anymore.

100KG more or less could make all the difference with springs but the question is, does it ....?

edit, I could always put 100KG extra load in the frunk to offset for the missing AWD extra motor :rolleyes:
edit 2, think of it, I could also put and extra 100kg in the trunk with the current springs to get rid of the bouncyness 🤨
Someone on the forum did that with sandbags in the frunk. 😂

MMENJ

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Wrangler 4xE, 23 Mach E GT-“Julius”
Country flag
How likely is it that the new Fisker will survive longer than the old Fisker?

The old Fisker Karma was cool, but I'm very happy not to own one.
We will see soon, the Karma had battery supply issues. He may have ironed that out along with using Magna to actually make the vehicles, could be something.
Hey everyone should fail at least once, you learn from mistakes.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm back in a Premium with 41 psi and the ride seems fine to me. I had no issues with my first Premium AWD ER either (except wind noise over driver side).

My former GT PE was a bouncing bucking mess over speed bumps and rough surfaces. Only Unbridled Mode was tolerable and the throttle mapping was so violent on that mode I would have to feather the pedal all the time. Don't sneeze or you will hit the car in front of you.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Hey everyone should fail at least once, you learn from mistakes.
Sure. But some people fail twice...

I wish Mr. Fisker well, but won't be giving him $50,000 until the company shows some evidence of staying power. If they (or Magna) can make great cars at low prices and consistent profitability, no doubt they will be a winner. Easier said than done. At least with Ford, we know they've been around for a century. That does not guarantee them another century, but it means something.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm back in a Premium with 41 psi and the ride seems fine to me. I had no issues with my first Premium AWD ER either (except wind noise over driver side).

My former GT PE was a bouncing bucking mess over speed bumps and rough surfaces. Only Unbridled Mode was tolerable and the throttle mapping was so violent on that mode I would have to feather the pedal all the time. Don't sneeze or you will hit the car in front of you.
Wow. There has to be more to this issue and I don't think we have figured out what it is yet. Because a GTPE that is more bouncy than a Premium? That seems strange, so I am wondering what is really wrong with the badly bouncing cars.

This goes back to the sway bar theory. Could that be a significant contributing factor in some cars?

Maybe some suspensions have an issue that others do not, maybe some variation during manufacturing? It could be the normal "bounce" isn't that bad, like in my car, but some cars have problem that makes them resonate when bouncing?

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Wow. There has to be more to this issue and I don't think we have figured out what it is yet. Because a GTPE that is more bouncy than a Premium? That seems strange, so I am wondering what is really wrong with the badly bouncing cars.

This goes back to the sway bar theory. Could that be a significant contributing factor in some cars?

Maybe some suspensions have an issue that others do not, maybe some variation during manufacturing? It could be the normal "bounce" isn't that bad, like in my car, but some cars have problem that makes them resonate when bouncing?
I only have the Steeda rear sway bar and after 7 months with the car I don’t think it is terribly bouncy any more (I did think it was terrible at the beginning) but now just feels stiff, not jarring.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Yup.

I've had TWO different 2022 Premium AWD ERs now and ONE 2022 GTPE. Both Premiums were not bouncy to me. Both had driver side wind noise and the GTPE did not. Weird.

The GTPE in Unbridled mode was great. On road and on the track. In Whisper and Engage (mostly)... it's bouncy mess. I'm always going over speed bumps and it bucks horribly on the rear. I set it to the recommend psi and that didn't solve anything. None of my other EVs I've owned in the same timeframe bucked like the GTPE... not the Model Y, not the BMW i4, not the MINI electric. Near my office is a brick road and the GTPE was a mess over that.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yup.

I've had TWO different 2022 Premium AWD ERs now and ONE 2022 GTPE. Both Premiums were not bouncy to me. Both had driver side wind noise and the GTPE did not. Weird.

The GTPE in Unbridled mode was great. On road and on the track. In Whisper and Engage (mostly)... it's bouncy mess. I'm always going over speed bumps and it bucks horribly on the rear. I set it to the recommend psi and that didn't solve anything. None of my other EVs I've owned in the same timeframe bucked like the GTPE... not the Model Y, not the BMW i4, not the MINI electric. Near my office is a brick road and the GTPE was a mess over that.
You mention speed bumps

when I go over a speed pump or expansion joint while braking or speeding you can feel the car jump or skip

DrSteveBrule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
Yup.

Hey @voxel, I'm curious to hear your impressions of the i4. I have one on the way from Germany and may trade my MME for it. My i4 eDrive40 will be missing lots of driver assistance tech, sadly, as BMW seems to have mismanaged the semiconductor/supply chain shortage. AFAIK, you can't even add adaptive cruise on a 2023 i4 eDrive40. Still, I'm a sucker for nice interiors and good audio systems. I think the BMW will have Ford beat by a mile in both areas. I really don't mind driving, but I do end up in stop and go traffic on highways where BlueCruise has been clutch.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
I test drove an i4 40e and really liked it. When they dropped adaptive cruise control though that was a deal breaker for me. That and the expiring fed tax credit.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I test drove an i4 40e and really liked it. When they dropped adaptive cruise control though that was a deal breaker for me. That and the expiring fed tax credit.
Yeah, hands off cruise is one thing, but adaptive cruise is entry level IMO. I can't imagine spending that much on a car that doesn't have what a car half the cost has.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yeah, hands off cruise is one thing, but adaptive cruise is entry level IMO. I can't imagine spending that much on a car that doesn't have what a car half the cost has.
ACC has been available in mainstream cars for years now.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Hey @voxel, I'm curious to hear your impressions of the i4. I have one on the way from Germany and may trade my MME for it. My i4 eDrive40 will be missing lots of driver assistance tech, sadly, as BMW seems to have mismanaged the semiconductor/supply chain shortage. AFAIK, you can't even add adaptive cruise on a 2023 i4 eDrive40. Still, I'm a sucker for nice interiors and good audio systems. I think the BMW will have Ford beat by a mile in both areas. I really don't mind driving, but I do end up in stop and go traffic on highways where BlueCruise has been clutch.
If you use BlueCruise constantly... you will hate the i4 without ACC (DAPP)

Mine has HK audio + adaptive suspension which are MUSTs for me and definitely better than Ford + Tesla but my i4 does not have DAPP nor ACC. My MINI electric didn't have ACC either (another BMW car) but that was purely a short urban commuter car so it didn't matter.

While I love BC and it's a fantastic feature on my Mach-Es, I only use it once or twice a month so I'm not a big ACC user. I did drive my BMW i4 for about 300 highway miles on an extended road trip back home from the dealer. I only "wanted" ACC in maybe 20 miles of that trip. It's a big want but not a must for me. With that said, I have an M50 configured with DAPP (ACC) so call me a hypocrite. :) For an extra $1500 it's worth the cost.

I drive my i4 mostly on highways but it's not stop and go and only for 30-45 miles which is basically the maximum distance I'd drive without ACC.

Last edited:

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
If you use BlueCruise constantly... you will hate the i4 without ACC (DAPP)

Mine has HK audio + adaptive suspension which are MUSTs for me and definitely better than Ford + Tesla but my i4 not have DAPP nor ACC. My MINI electric didn't have ACC either (another BMW car) but that was purely a short urban commuter car so it didn't matter.

While I love BC and it's a fantastic feature on my Mach-Es, I only use it once or twice a month so I'm not a big ACC user. I did drive my BMW i4 for about 300 highway miles on an extended road trip back home from the dealer. I only "wanted" ACC in maybe 20 miles of that trip. It's a big want but not a must for me. With that said, I have an M50 configured with DAPP (ACC) so call me a hypocrite. :) For an extra $1500 it's worth the cost.

I drive my i4 mostly on highways but it's not stop and go and only for 30-45 miles which is basically the maximum distance I'd drive without ACC.
thanks for your feedback on the i4.
Sponsored