Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do?

TheWalkingEye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 ID.4
I just test drove a 2021 Select RWD SR (I have a 2022 coming next weekish) and was very disappointed. We have concrete roads near me, one has issues with the best riding cars, and it was awful. I didn't get the jarring people have discussed, but that bounce. How do you people live with that? I-80 was fine for the 3 miles I drove with minor bounce, but the local streets were so bad.

I'm going to try and get a long test drive from the dealer and will need to try it with family in the car.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I just test drove a 2021 Select RWD SR (I have a 2022 coming next weekish) and was very disappointed. We have concrete roads near me, one has issues with the best riding cars, and it was awful. I didn't get the jarring people have discussed, but that bounce. How do you people live with that? I-80 was fine for the 3 miles I drove with minor bounce, but the local streets were so bad.

I'm going to try and get a long test drive from the dealer and will need to try it with family in the car.
The outcome doesn't look good to me. The family will likely be much more critical of the ride quality than you are. In my experience anyway.

When we drive over bad roads, I blame the roads. My wife blames the car. That about sums it up.

Lucky luke

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select RWD
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
The outcome doesn't look good to me. The family will likely be much more critical of the ride quality than you are. In my experience anyway.

When we drive over bad roads, I blame the roads. My wife blames the car. That about sums it up.
The same experience here. Very disappointing.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Meh. I’ve had a friend call the ride smooth. It can be composed on some roads, but you either get used to the bounce, get used to the car communicating the road to you, or you do a bunch of stuff to try to improve the car (coil overs, sway bars, spring changes), or it’s just a dealbreaker and you don’t buy or you sell the one you have. It’s a crazy sensation when you are accelerating at 80+, you hit an expansion joist, and the back end bounces like crazy and feels like it moves off the centerline if you are in any sort of a turn. But it’s exciting!

I do recommend that you test drive this car before you buy. It’s not for everyone.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
and feels like it moves off the centerline if you are in any sort of a turn.
The Steeda sway bars fixed this in my car. No more instability in aggressive turns. The car does ride smoother with the Steeda sway bars, but the bounce is the same.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
We got our MME Premium a week ago and I find the ride to be far better than our Tesla MY. Compared to the MY it has "road feel." To me it's more akin to the sports cars I've had (e.g., 01 Miata, '14 BMW 228i).

DrSteveBrule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
With ambient temps down in the 20s and 30s F in Minnesota lately, my tire pressure is down to around 35 PSI. The difference in ride quality is noticeable and welcome. I haven't been driving enough to measure the corresponding efficiency loss, but I'm confident the same temperature drop causes a lot more losses on battery and cabin heating than on tire pressure.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
With ambient temps down in the 20s and 30s F in Minnesota lately, my tire pressure is down to around 35 PSI. The difference in ride quality is noticeable and welcome. I haven't been driving enough to measure the corresponding efficiency loss, but I'm confident the same temperature drop causes a lot more losses on battery and cabin heating than on tire pressure.
Depending on how low you let it go, you could see 5-10% range reduction due to low tire pressure.

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e and Tesla model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
How likely is it that the new Fisker will survive longer than the old Fisker?

The old Fisker Karma was cool, but I'm very happy not to own one.
I can't comment on if the new fisker will last longer than the old fisker, but the old fisker did have a suspension that felt like almighty himself tuned it. Just....incredible
It handled too

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e and Tesla model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Any part wizards out there discern any difference with '22 my MMEs? I just picked up my second for the wife, a Premium AWD and I thought it rode really well. Was less bouncy, harsh, and overall pretty plushy. Maybe I just need more seat time.
I switched from a 2021 model to a 2022 model and the ride is just as terrible. Ford didn't seem to make any changes to the suspension from one year to the next

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
We got our MME Premium a week ago and I find the ride to be far better than our Tesla MY. Compared to the MY it has "road feel." To me it's more akin to the sports cars I've had (e.g., 01 Miata, '14 BMW 228i).
Glad to hear!

I thought the Tesla Y had a very nauseating ride as well. My cousin has one and it's not very good for car sickness prone folks.

My '23 MME Premium should be here in late January as it starts production in 3 days.

Just for reference, my '22 Lightning has a bouncy feel like an SUV because of the independent rear suspension.

I figure it's part of the problem with a heavy vehicle...

MisterSofa

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Corolla, 2022 Ford MachE Premium AWD
Country flag
My 22 Mach E has a good ride on most roads. Concrete, not so good

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I switched from a 2021 model to a 2022 model and the ride is just as terrible. Ford didn't seem to make any changes to the suspension from one year to the next
Premium AWD Ext?

Maybe I'm just not as picky as some others.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I thought the Tesla Y had a very nauseating ride as well. My cousin has one and it's not very good for car sickness prone folks.
You folks need to stop reading Elon Musk tweets while driving! 😉
Sponsored