[Video] Can anyone describe what the problem is with my brakes?

deanproxy

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Country flag

The brakes sound and feel fine while I'm slowing down, and only make this noise when coming to a complete stop like you see in the video. It gets so loud sometimes that it will literally make people look at me at stop lights when I come to a stop next to them.

I've tried bedding the brakes with the instructions on this forum a few times and no success. I've taken it to the dealership, only for them to keep it for over 2 weeks. They replaced my brake pads, handed it back to me and said they fixed it. This video is the day I got my car back from the dealership, so obviously no fix. They dealership said to bring it back in and they'll try something else, but it'll likely be a trial and error situation. I have owned this car for 2.5 months and it's already been in the shop for 1 month of that time (other problems too), so I'm really trying to nail down what the problem is and make some suggestions.

Has anyone has a similar issue with the brakes? What did you do to get it fixed?
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag

The brakes sound and feel fine while I'm slowing down, and only make this noise when coming to a complete stop like you see in the video. It gets so loud sometimes that it will literally make people look at me at stop lights when I come to a stop next to them.

I've tried bedding the brakes with the instructions on this forum a few times and no success. I've taken it to the dealership, only for them to keep it for over 2 weeks. They replaced my brake pads, handed it back to me and said they fixed it. This video is the day I got my car back from the dealership, so obviously no fix. They dealership said to bring it back in and they'll try something else, but it'll likely be a trial and error situation. I have owned this car for 2.5 months and it's already been in the shop for 1 month of that time (other problems too), so I'm really trying to nail down what the problem is and make some suggestions.

Has anyone has a similar issue with the brakes? What did you do to get it fixed?
Hi there, Dean. This noise concern doesnā€™t sound like something we want you to experience with your Mach-E. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I could be way off the mark here, but that looks more like suspension than brakes. I almost wonder if they didnā€™t remove the shipping blocks from the springs..

or possibly bushings in the sway bar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
deanproxy

deanproxy

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Country flag
I donā€™t see the shipping blocks on the springs. However, it does sorta sound like a bad bushing now that I think about itā€¦

OP
OP
deanproxy

deanproxy

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Country flag
Is it possible that itā€™d be a sway bar bushing issue if the noise only happens during braking? I never hear it going over speed bumps or holes in the road, etc. just as shown in the video.

Jppumper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1st car: 1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E X Premium
Occupation
Retired Master Certified Heavy Truck Technician
Country flag
Were the calipers already red when you bought the car? Just wondering if there could be a problem there.

WI Mach e Fan

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer, 2018 Ford F-150
Country flag

Please let us know what the solution was?

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag

Mine does that!

Also does it if I blip the throttle one & off.

Got dealerā€™s technician to lie underneath rear end while I rocked car back & forth by turning rear wheel by hand with park brake off & car in park.

He put his hand on driveshaft outer joint and silenced it so diagnosed fault as dry or otherwise failing driveshaft joint so driveshaft & wheel bearing on order under warranty.

Mineā€™s now done 63,000 miles and is out of warranty, 48,000 when I first reported noise within warranty period.

If it cures it, Iā€™m paying them cĀ£900 to change the other side, I maybe crazy but I feel Iā€™ll be keeping this car until it drops, thereā€™s only the wheel bearings & driveshafts thatā€™ll wear so changing them will keep the transmission in the peak of condition.

RWG

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We have the same issues with brakes, there is definitely something amiss. When we back out of the garage, and lightly "ride" the brakse to back up slowly, there is a constant grinding noise. Also, lately, when it is stopped using the brakes, it seems as if the brakes stick a bit. Not a big problem unless you are trying to park and to get the car to move a few inches, when you touch the accelerator, when the brakes finally release, the vehicle lurches forward, more then you had intended to go. Not good.

We will call the dealer, but I am not hopeful anything will change.

PS: This vehicle has always been this way and NO, the brakes are not rusty or dirty as some folks suggest in previous posts. I have a 2018 Ford Escape, and it sits outside, by comparison it is abused compared to the MME but it does not display the same brake performance.

OP
OP
deanproxy

deanproxy

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Country flag
My brakes donā€™t stick or make a grinding noise at all. They operate very smoothly otherwise.

I have heard some mention that if your brakes stick, try bedding them in. Thereā€™s a procedure where you make a number of stops both moderate and aggressive at certain speeds. This isnā€™t about getting rust off but more about getting the pads and rotors to cooperate with each other properly.

RWG

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
After driving the MME over 15,000 miles I would suggest the brakes are, or certainly should, be worn in.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
After driving the MME over 15,000 miles I would suggest the brakes are, or certainly should, be worn in.
That grinding noise has always been there on my car. Even after getting new rotors and pads via the "stuck brake pad material" TSB, they still make that noise. I think it's just part of the normal operation of the MME brakes. I don't mind it since it allows me to tell when the car switches from regenerative to friction braking.

OP
OP
deanproxy

deanproxy

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Country flag
That grinding noise has always been there on my car. Even after getting new rotors and pads via the "stuck brake pad material" TSB, they still make that noise. I think it's just part of the normal operation of the MME brakes. I don't mind it since it allows me to tell when the car switches from regenerative to friction braking.
To note, my brakes arenā€™t grinding at all. They operate smoothly up until that last little bit when I come to a complete stop.

I donā€™t think grinding is normal operation of any brakes. A friend of mine has an MME from 2021 and his brakes donā€™t make this noise at all.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
To note, my brakes arenā€™t grinding at all. They operate smoothly up until that last little bit when I come to a complete stop.
Thatā€˜s because the friction brakes arenā€™t being used until that last little bit when coming to a complete stop.
Sponsored