Duchess

First Name
Diane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
Hey , can you tell me if this is normal or not?

My charging cord kept going orange so I took it into Ford Dealership and they asked me to leave the car too to test it for faults. I told them the car is not signaling any alerts but I'll leave it for them to test whatever testing they need to go through. They said they need to keep it for a few days. I'm guessing they are just going to run my miles down in my car to get the battery lower and charging. Im not too thrilled with them throwing miles on my car but I guess thats normal?? Any who, today I look at GPS and its 8PM ET. My car is at an apartment complex and not at the dealership. I am so worried about it being in a parking lot like that because I take good care of my car because its not a cheap car. It never parks outside the garage and I usually handwash/detail it myself.

Is it normal for employees to bring home the car they are servicing?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Duchess

First Name
Diane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
I'd drive to where the car says it is and take a look.

If it is there, I'd jump in it and drive it home to see what the dealer says the next day... ;)
LOL that is tempting. I'm sure its gated though, I'm not use to breaking in.. Would you be upset too if you were in my shoes? I'm trying to see if I'm over reacting.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
The only thing I can think of is someone took it home to test the charger. A lot of people have reported taking their charger in and the dealer couldn’t diagnose it because they have no 240v outlets. Not really doable if an apartment complex though… pretty ridiculous either way!

OP
OP

Duchess

First Name
Diane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
The only thing I can think of is someone took it home to test the charger. A lot of people have reported taking their charger in and the dealer couldn’t diagnose it because they have no 240v outlets. Not really doable if an apartment complex though… pretty ridiculous either way!
I hope this isnt the case because one of my services before, I had to wait for their bay to have outlets installed to service EV cars.

Dustus

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT
Country flag
LOL that is tempting. I'm sure its gated though, I'm not use to breaking in.. Would you be upset too if you were in my shoes? I'm trying to see if I'm over reacting.

Yeah, I wouldn't break into anything. I don't think you are overreacting. I would go check on it to see what the situation is, then I would definitely bring it up to my dealer and make them explain it.

OP
OP

Duchess

First Name
Diane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
Yeah, I wouldn't break into anything. I don't think you are overreacting. I would go check on it to see what the situation is, then I would definitely bring it up to my dealer and make them explain it.
I definitely will ask them. I will probably ask them first if my car left the dealership last night to see what they say first.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
It's situations like this that make having a cloud-connected dashcam + hotspot worth it.

I wouldn't just talk with the dealer tomorrow, I'd get your car back and take it to another dealer. The one with your car has shown they cannot be trusted...

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
It's situations like this that make having a cloud-connected dashcam + hotspot worth it.

I wouldn't just talk with the dealer tomorrow, I'd get your car back and take it to another dealer. The one with your car has shown they cannot be trusted...
This.

The dealership model needs to be taken out at dawn and shot, then buried in a remote, shallow, unmarked grave. There are no genuinely good dealers, only those that aren’t as bad.

OP: take a screen shot of where the car is at in the app. Save it. If it’s not too far go and look and take a picture there. Politely ask your current dealer about it. Then go find another less disreputable dealer to use if possible.

OP
OP

Duchess

First Name
Diane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
This.

The dealership model needs to be taken out at dawn and shot, then buried in a remote, shallow, unmarked grave. There are no genuinely good dealers, only those that aren’t as bad.

OP: take a screen shot of where the car is at in the app. Save it. If it’s not too far go and look and take a picture there. Politely ask your current dealer about it. Then go find another less disreputable dealer to use if possible.
yeah I saved a few and plan to save a few early morning. I am calling them at 7am and telling them to have my car ready for pick up.

Kraze8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
City Bus
Country flag
It’s normal at dealerships to take a customer’s car home or for longer drives to diagnose issues and problems. It’s typically the shop foreman or leader that would be responsible for doing it, they won’t let any regular tech take it home. But they would either make that known up front or they would call the client for permission first. (At least that’s how it works at the dealership my bro works at)

Dadams

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E GT-SOLD, 22 Sorento PHEV, 23 MachE GT RR
Country flag
I would definitely try and get a picture of it at the apt. That way they can't say gps is wrong. No your not over reacting.

OP
OP

Duchess

First Name
Diane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium
Country flag
I would definitely try and get a picture of it at the apt. That way they can't say gps is wrong. No your not over reacting.
It’s most likely gated and I can’t sit at gate all night trying to sneak in :(

Kraze8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
City Bus
Country flag
It is what it is. No need to over react or drive yourself crazy tonight. Just call and ask them tomorrow. Most dealers and techs aren’t interested in taking a customer’s car for joyrides and overnight. It’s just more liability on them. They get to drive all kinds of cars all day long, your car doesn’t stand out from the rest of their daily drives. They want that in and out of their work bay ASAP.

When my bro has to take a customer car home, he makes sure it’s secured and parks it in his garage. Just like how you feel, he doesn’t want anything to happen to the customer’s car.