Carbon ceramic rotors for Mach-E?

Do you want carbon ceramic rotors on your ride?

• Heck yes!

• No thanks.

• I would if I could afford it

Results are only viewable after voting.

MachGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Pre-order
Country flag
I've scoured the internet and there doesn't seem to be any talk of a carbon ceramic rotor, or rotor/caliper kit for the Mach-E. Wilwood sells front kits for regular mustangs for around $8k... The price of a dealer ADM. The unsprung weight reduction, and incredible ability to withstand heat make this a no-brainer for a performance oriented EV. And since ford only gives us five seconds at full throttle, the ~80lb reduction in rotating mass would be amazing. If anyone sees any kits show up in the aftermarket, please post. Also, please post if this is something you'd want on your ride.
Sponsored

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
Probably a waste of money in my opinion, the Stock Brembos work fine, even in panic stops and extended hard use when I drive aggressively. I have never had any brake fade or abnormal wear in the 3k plus miles i've driven so far.
While the Wilwood carbon ceramics may look cool and shed some weight, the perfomance advantage would not be noticable in a 4800 pound vehicle

again, just my opinion

Tony

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I installed Racing Brake carbon ceramic rotors (front and rear) on my GT500 and it's my favorite mod. I didn't do it for better brake performance or reduction in heat build up because the OEM 16.5" front rotors have no problems with either of those. I did it to reduce unsprung weight which completely changes the way the car rides (smoother over irregularities) has lighter steering and better handling. It really is hard to explain but the car just feels more nimble. I shaved 64 lbs and that combined with my Signature fully forged aluminum wheels, I reduced unsprung weight 114 lbs. It changes so many factors for the positive, I cannot say enough good things about it.

That said, I'm not sure I would spend the money for carbon ceramic rotors on the Mach-E. While I'm sure it will change the dynamics of the car for the better, the Mach-E is no where close to the handling and overall performance of my GT500 so just don't think it's worth it.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I installed Racing Brake carbon ceramic rotors (front and rear) on my GT500 and it's my favorite mod. I didn't do it for better brake performance or reduction in heat build up because the OEM 16.5" front rotors have no problems with either of those. I did it to reduce unsprung weight which completely changes the way the car rides (smoother over irregularities) has lighter steering and better handling. It really is hard to explain but the car just feels more nimble. I shaved 64 lbs and that combined with my Signature fully forged aluminum wheels, I reduced unsprung weight 114 lbs. It changes so many factors for the positive, I cannot say enough good things about it.

That said, I'm not sure I would spend the money for carbon ceramic rotors on the Mach-E. While I'm sure it will change the dynamics of the car for the better, the Mach-E is no where close to the handling and overall performance of my GT500 so just don't think it's worth it.
This reassures me that the world is still sane. :D

OP
OP

MachGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Pre-order
Country flag
Yeah, I'm hoping someone releases this because I will be the first one in line. I put factory (OEM) forged wheels onto a Chevy Sonic, and dropped the weight by 8lbs per wheel/tire. The difference netted an average 5% increase in fuel economy averaged over 5k miles. Combining efficiency through reduction in rotating mass, better braking performance at track day since you can't run brake regen without heat soaking the battery after the first lap, and this starts to look even more enticing. Then throw in the looks... because carbon ceramic rotors look badass... It gets even easier to justify.
Sponsored