Cargo net and storage options

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I thought I’d share a few discoveries and strategies I’ve taken to optimize my cargo area use.

First, let’s talk storage organization. I had a couple Greenmade Collapsible Crates (“Instacrate“) and I found they work pretty good to load groceries from Costco. They also sell them. They collapse and stack, so that’s pretty nice so the space is still usable when you don’t use them. I used to ask for boxes at Costco, but now I just load the groceries bare into the cart, and then transfer them into these crates in my trunk with no need to break down boxes for recycling.

The neat thing though, about these crates comes with another discovery that many of you probably already know.… The cargo floor has two height settings. The default is the higher setting but if you pull the floor forward about 8”, it will drop below to the lower setting, and you can push it back and drop the floor down a couple inches, particularly if you don’t have anything stored below. (Side note: 3 larger size Delsey rolling hard case bags just barely fit at the higher setting into our MMEs side by side; I learned this while driving to a cruise vacation; if not perfectly placed, wheels out, though, the trunk door doesn’t shut. With the lower cargo floor setting, I suspect it’ll be more of an “open and shut” situation…)

Now, I keep my floor at the higher setting, and the nice thing about the Greenmade Instacrates is that they fit neatly under the floor when not in use! I just pull up the close side of the floor, lift up and slide 1, 2 crates under the cargo floor… I now have cargo/item placement when I need it, and a clean/neat cargo area when I don’t!

The next tip is either a universal cargo tip (where you can buy almost any cargo net for your trunk) or if you had one for an older vehicle you want to reuse. In my case, the hooks on the cargo net I had didn’t quite clip nicely onto the cargo net hooks in the trunk area. The clips were too narrow for the diameter of the hooks that were there, and certainly didn’t work for the LATCH connectors on the back of the seat.

I obtained two products that made this more convenient. The first was a velcro/carbiner style hanging strap that I use on the trunk door side hooks. https://www.amzn.com/dp/B08NZQ9942/ You could probably use those on all four corners, but I used a couple Velcro straps to connect to the LATCH connectors on the back of the seat for the other two connection points.http://amzn.com/dp/B08VWZRNYB

If you look carefully at the photo, you’ll notice I just put the straps around the thick edge cord of the cargo net I had prior. You can find lots of options on various online stores, but I don’t have a specific one to suggest since I already had one. The bonus is that these straps are super convenient for other garage organization needs. I used two of the extra straps to help “hang” the charging cable/plug along the beams in my garage so cable management around the charging cable is neater.

508EBA67-C348-4667-AFED-72B162908862.jpeg
Sponsored

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Thanks for the info! Wish we had the hooks for a cargo net that goes right at the end like other cars. I believe UK cars get these!

One thing to note, the top cargo height is really sensitive. If you overload it, you can break the brackets really easily. I’ve just kept mine in the lower position to not risk it. Plenty of posts on here of them breaking since people didn’t know it had two heights. I believe there’s another post about replacing the supports with a more heavy duty solution.