Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I swapped out a flat tire on my wife's car at a few weeks old. There is no way the factory set those lugs at 150 pounds.
Yeah, when I went to take my aero covers off I damn near came out of my shoes taking the first nut off with how easily I could spin my lug wrench. Yeah, my son took his air wrench when he moved out so I had to do it old school
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I thought Sandy Munro said screw fasteners we’re the cause of failures and everything should just snap together. You mean to tell me that the Mustang Mach E wheels don’t just snap onto the vehicle? ?

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Always good to have a few torque wrenches around! My biggest goes up to 180 ft-lbs, my smallest only 7 Ft-lbs.

To everyone checking torque, remember that fasteners “relax” after installation, so torque at the time of assembly will always be higher than the measured torque later. If you just keep coming back and re-torquing a fastener (that you don’t have reason to believe is actually coming loose) then you will just keep putting more and more load on the fastener, leading to its eventual failure (Happens to head bolts all the time).

If you actually think it is loose it is better to loosen it all the way and then re-torque from scratch.

jgcom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X premium, '21
Occupation
Physics prof.
Country flag
Same here. Less than 130 ft-lb on almost every nut. I had to order a 21 mm socket, so I didn't check until now, ~ 1 month after delivery.

Last edited:

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
In my experience fresh new lugs and wheels don't retain their torque as well as they do after the first couple of mountings (more grip maybe with roughed up surfaces?)...so I believe most new vehicles should have their torque checked shortly after buying.
Sponsored