Cluster Screen

Do you think you could live without a cluster screen above the steering wheel?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

mattl02

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Country flag
What do you guys think about not having a cluster screen like the Model Y? Is it something you think you could get used to? Would you go without it if it meant saving you a couple hundred dollars?
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The primary reason I wonā€™t consider a Tesla M3 or MY is Elonā€™s insistence that we donā€™t need instrumentation. Build quality is second.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Big reason why I dont like the Model 3 or Y is the lack of a a screen right in front of me. Yes I could adjusted but honestly I like having it right in front of me. It has all the important info for the driver.

DanHo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME RR 4x & 17 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
The primary reason I wonā€™t consider a Tesla M3 or MY is Elonā€™s insistence that we donā€™t need instrumentation. Build quality is second.
Big reason why I dont like the Model 3 or Y is the lack of a a screen right in front of me. Yes I could adjusted but honestly I like having it right in front of me. It has all the important info for the driver.
Same here. I could probably get used to it if I had to. My BiL said it took him a few weeks to get used to it in his TM3.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Elon says you don't need an instrument cluster screen if you buy the lowly Model 3 or Y. You still get one if you spend the $$$ on an S or X.

(Just recently argued with a Tesla stan that insisted that the dash screen wasn't necessary and Tesla is just too forward thinking for me. Then the refreshed S and X came out and those still have it proving that it is a cost savings thing and not "forward thinking" that cut them from the Y and 3.)

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
What do you guys think about not having a cluster screen like the Model Y? Is it something you think you could get used to? Would you go without it if it meant saving you a couple hundred dollars?
Specifically didnā€™t even bother test driving a Tesla because of the lack of physical buttons and the lack of an instrument cluster.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Elon says you don't need an instrument cluster screen if you buy the lowly Model 3 or Y. You still get one if you spend the $$$ on an S or X.

(Just recently argued with a Tesla stan that insisted that the dash screen wasn't necessary and Tesla is just too forward thinking for me. Then the refreshed S and X came out and those still have it proving that it is a cost savings thing and not "forward thinking" that cut them from the Y and 3.)
Exactly, pre-refresh you could say, well, maybe they didnā€™t have their moment of brilliance until after the S and X designs were set. But that goes out the window with the refresh keeping the driver display on both, especially when both models got a larger center display to boot.

Not only is a driver display necessary, I think we will see more HUD systems added into cars in the future.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Exactly, pre-refresh you could say, well, maybe they didnā€™t have their moment of brilliance until after the S and X designs were set. But that goes out the window with the refresh keeping the driver display on both, especially when both models got a larger center display to boot.

Not only is a driver display necessary, I think we will see more HUD systems added into cars in the future.
This is the primary thing I think I'm going to miss going from my '19 Acura RDX to the Mach-E -- the HUD. Having the important data high and in the driver's vision is infinitely better than down and to the right, a la the M3/MY. I almost never look at the actual hardware speedometer with the ability to have the same data hovering an inch over the hood.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
This is the primary thing I think I'm going to miss going from my '19 Acura RDX to the Mach-E -- the HUD. Having the important data high and in the driver's vision is infinitely better than down and to the right, a la the M3/MY. I almost never look at the actual hardware speedometer with the ability to have the same data hovering an inch over the hood.
I have found HUDs to be most helpful in unfamiliar areas where I am using the navigation. For example, when approaching a busy, unfamiliar intersection or freeway junction, a HUD makes it a lot easier to have the navigation show you on the windshield which lane to be in. Not in this situation too often, but it certainly has its use.

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I voted yes, since I also have a Model 3 and don't have an issue with a glance to right and down to see speed or battery percentage. This was my biggest concern in 2018 before buying the car, but I was able to sit in a car before my order window opened and it had the display on, enabling me to view from my driving position and it was not an issue for me.
I understand why others do not like it and I have no issues with the cluster on the Mach-E (other than finding the most comfortable steering wheel position that allows me to see the speed).

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I donā€™t like the way this poll is worded. Could I live without a cluster screen. Sure. Would I choose to? Absolutely not. I love the idea of a HUD, I have one in my ski goggles. My only complaints about the cluster screen are that there is no option to add information that I think would be useful, and from my seat position, wheel position, and hand position the information at the edges of the screen get blocked.
Sponsored