Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Alright, there was another big Munro video that came out yesterday with the Cybertruck engineers that covered even more. I updated the original post with more engineering tidbits. Lots of interesting stuff. They have some very smart engineers.

Someone asked me about how the series/parallel 800V/400V switch worked, so I figured it out and drew a representative schematic. It's just a fancy DPDT switch that splits the pack in half. I labeled the switch terminals with numbers.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Cybertruck Engineering Innovations IMG_2456

Ford Mustang Mach-E Cybertruck Engineering Innovations IMG_2455.JPG

The black thing is a motor that turns a set of switches. Bus #2 and #3 have contacts on the end and are pushed up and down by the gray bar mechanism to change the connection. In 800V mode #1 and #2 are touching, #3 and #4 are not. In 400V mode bar #3 will be pushed down to touch #1, and #2 will be pushed down to touch #4.

I drew this before I saw the Munro video, but it works exactly like I thought.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
  • Quickest pickup truck ever - The Cybertruck has beat the Rivian R1T is is now the quickest pickup truck ever, with a 0-60 of 2.6 sec and 11.0 sec @ 119 mph quarter mile. This performance is available without special battery preconditioning, and apparently unchanged with repeated runs all the down to 33% battery, which is unheard of.

• Largest Windshield and Wiper - At 4 feet long, the blade is the longest ever produced. It is a single blade. The huge windshield is also the largest ever mass produced. The wiper actually changes angle slightly while driving to improve the aerodynamics at different speeds (a form of active aero). When the wiper is on, it parks at the bottom of the windshield instead.

• 4680 Dry Cell Pack - 9% higher energy density compared to Model Y, dry cell technology for more efficient and cheaper manufacturing.
1. The tri-motor Plaid version is faster than the R1T and was probably designed just to beat competitor numbers much like how the MME Route 1 was config to have the longest range of any CUV EV. Giant dick-measuring contest and I serious doubt many folks will opt for the Cyberbeast config.

2. That windshield wiper is an overengineered mess. Tesla wipers work poorly on the Y (unsmooth and stutters) and probably the same on the CT.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Cybertruck Engineering Innovations IMG_7539 1.JPG
3. Tesla still hasn't solved the Dry electrode manufacturing process. Yields seem low.

YunniorO

First Name
Yunnior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ER (Job 2)
Country flag
Love it or hate it, this is whatā€™s been unique about Tesla. Theyā€™ve been willing to start from a blank sheet and design things without being constrained with the past. We will all benefit from their innovations even if we never buy one of their vehicles.
Absolutely agreed. Gotta give Tesla credit where itā€™s due and this is it.

I feel like an Elon fanboy saying this, but if it wasnā€™t for Tesla I donā€™t think weā€™d have the Mach-E we have today or at all. Sure, Ford probably wouldā€™ve caught on eventually, but thereā€™s one brand that we have to admit pushed them and many other manufacturers to realize.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Cybertruck also has a cabin radar sensor mounted above the driver's sun visor. Still unknown how exactly this sensor is used. Assuming it's for driver monitoring. It should be able to measure your breathing rate and possibly heart beat, as well as gross movements. Hopefully it's used to determine if the driver is getting sleepy or has fallen asleep while on Autopilot.

It's probably also used for security, much like we have ultrasonic motion sensors that monitor for intrusions. Another potential use is alerting if you leave your baby in the back seat.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Cybertruck Engineering Innovations Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 2.28.27ā€ÆAM

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Ha, to be fair I donā€™t think the current CCS adapter is rated for 1000V. When they revise the adapter to support 1000V, the new one will probably fit the Cybertruck.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Iā€™m shocked - I thought it was against the Tesla religion to deface any of Lord Elonā€™s creations šŸ˜€

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Iā€™m shocked - I thought it was against the Tesla religion to deface any of Lord Elonā€™s creations šŸ˜€
The Tesla hate is unreal. Tesla sold over 2million cars. What percentage of those do you think are hardcore Tesla Cult members?
Sponsored