Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I'm thinking about getting a Dash Cam for my MME, I'm debating between the Thinkware U1000 4K 2CH, and the Blackvue DR900X 4K 2CH. I have the Blackvue 750 2CH in my Clarity, I have been happy with it, but the cost of taking it out to move it to my new car is a significant chunk of the cost of buying a new one. I'm leaning towards the Thinkware, but I'm undecided. I don't really need the cloud features, but since I can connect it to the AT&T subscription hotspot in the car, it would more practical than using a hotspot on my phone whenever I am in my car. The Thinkware seems to have better video quality, especially the rear camera. The Thinkware can only use up to a 128GB SD card, but the H.265 should have enough compression for that to be enough. The Thinkware also has a radar detector option, $90 additional, for motion sensing of movement around the car.

I'm wondering what others here are using or have used. I don't commute to work, so monitoring while parking is not as much a need. I'm more interested in having video evidence in case of an incident. I'm thinking I would get the radar option if I got the thinkware, as it would start recording earlier and not just start recording at the moment of an incident.
Sponsored

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I have a Blackvue DR750s with power mgmt box installed in my Bolt right now that I got professionally installed. It's super clean and works really well. no exposed wires and the power management box is built into the glove compartment. I would have to get a professionally removed and then installed in the MME in a similar fashion. Even though the installers are professionals, my biggest concern is the potential complexity of removing some of the windshield components of the MME in order to install a dash cam. It's so new that I just don't want to be a guinea pig for an installer so I think I might just wait a while and not install one, or just install something basic that's not super hard-wired with hidden cables and a clean look like I would prefer. When I had my Jaguar i-pace I tried to get the same Blackview installed and the installer, who was very experienced, wound up cracking the windshield because of how difficult it was to get the windshields covering components off of the vehicle in order to install and run the wiring. So I'm just worried about installers messing something up in the MME.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I have the Blackvue 750 2CH in my Clarity.

Same. I have the Blackvue DR750-2ch. It already saved us once after a DUI rear ended us. I have one on order for my MME. I selft-installed my current one with a Black Magic and plan to do the same in the MME

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Very interested to see what dash cams people go with and how clean the installation is. Considering one myself, but no experience.

Given other folks 12V issues also interested to see how that works out. No issues myself so far at least.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I suppose it would be naïve to expect Ford to "turn on" a dashcam function with the existing cams in the near future? :rolleyes:
During their webinars, they said it was possible through OTA. They stopped short of any promises.

SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag
Installed an inexpensive basic WIFI dashcam today. It took me less than a half-hour. Only tool was a butter knife for spudging. Cable hides perfectly inside windshield trim, A-pillar, behind glovebox and console to usb. Seems easily removable and required 16 - 64g micro sd card. This will be good enough for me until and if Ford provides solution with onboard cams.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Dash Cams IMG_2134c

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F245PS1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BTW, I'm aware the chicom party may monitor our trips to the supermarket. ;)

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I suppose it would be naïve to expect Ford to "turn on" a dashcam function with the existing cams in the near future? :rolleyes:
They have acknowledged dash cam and sentry are features they could add and indicated they are considering it. I rather doubt it will be in the first OTA, though.

ScarlettMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME
Country flag
I am in the same boat as others when it comes to dashcams. I would love to be able to use the onboard camera without having to spring for addons and noticed there were ford accessories which i think looks good enough but maybe only records passively. With the other low battery issues, the last thing i want is another device that completes drains the 12v battery. I also would love to catch anybody that intends to do any harm on my yet to arrive baby.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I am in the same boat as others when it comes to dashcams. I would love to be able to use the onboard camera without having to spring for addons and noticed there were ford accessories which i think looks good enough but maybe only records passively. With the other low battery issues, the last thing i want is another device that completes drains the 12v battery. I also would love to catch anybody that intends to do any harm on my yet to arrive baby.
I will most likely spring for the cheapest one I can find that has decent reviews to get me by until Ford figures out if they are going to do it or not. I'm sure my kids will love having it in their car after I'm done with it. ?

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
FYI -- you can buy a couple of accessories to help prevent this :

(1) DC adapter (e.g., cigarette lighter); if the port in the Mach E is turned off when the ignition is off, this is an option (ex. read this post -- https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/dead-low-voltage-battery-lvb.3490/post-112420)
(2) OBD II adapter (Thinkware sells these -- https://us.thinkware.com/product-page/thinkware-obd-ii-power-cable/ as does Ford's Accessory site)
(3) Something like Blackvue's PowerMagic Pro allows you to set a minimum voltage to prevent battery drain (https://blackvue.com/product/blackv...attery-discharge-prevention-for-parking-mode/)
(4) Something like a Dash Cam battery (https://blackvue.com/product/power-magic-ultra-battery-b-124x/)

ScarlettMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME
Country flag
FYI -- you can buy a couple of accessories to help prevent this :

(1) DC adapter (e.g., cigarette lighter); if the port in the Mach E is turned off when the ignition is off, this is an option (ex. read this post -- https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/dead-low-voltage-battery-lvb.3490/post-112420)
(2) OBD II adapter (Thinkware sells these -- https://us.thinkware.com/product-page/thinkware-obd-ii-power-cable/ as does Ford's Accessory site)
(3) Something like Blackvue's PowerMagic Pro allows you to set a minimum voltage to prevent battery drain (https://blackvue.com/product/blackv...attery-discharge-prevention-for-parking-mode/)
(4) Something like a Dash Cam battery (https://blackvue.com/product/power-magic-ultra-battery-b-124x/)
Thanks for the links and responses.
Sponsored