Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I wouldn‘t base any dash cam purchasing decisions on speculation by anyone here.
I did. I bought a FitcamX based on some posts here. 🤪🐩 It’s not perfect, but it’s solid. The worst thing isn’t a problem with the cameras, but the simple fact that even with a Trico 15-G the rear camera is in the unwiped area of the rear window. I can pretty much live with that and it’s not a problem specific to this one rear camera. It’s the car. 🤷‍♂️🐩
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I did. I bought a FitcamX based on some posts here. 🤪🐩 It’s not perfect, but it’s solid. The worst thing isn’t a problem with the cameras, but the simple fact that even with a Trico 15-G the rear camera is in the unwiped area of the rear window. I can pretty much live with that and it’s not a problem specific to this one rear camera. It’s the car. 🤷‍♂️🐩
I fully support buying things based on the posts of others (especially when they’re mine). Just not speculation.

Panzer948

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT PE, 2021 Ford Bronco, 2015 BMW M4, CJ5
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
I fully support buying things based on the posts of others (especially when they’re mine). Just not speculation.
Right. Just to clarify, my original question was more about waiting for Ford's version of sentry mode or not. If that is going to take too long (or not at all), I already have a model/brand selected based on prior experience with my other two vehicles.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So is there anyone in here who works at Ford or is in the know that can tell me if/when there may be an update to enable the car to have DashCam/Sentry mode like the Teslas?
Looks like the answer is no.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...le-riffs-on-blue-ovals-ev-future/70378760007/

The car’s a robot, which means the interaction with the software includes pieces of hardware. ... There also are sensors that we don’t have access to the information. An easy example is an autonomy system that’s supposed to keep you in the lane. There’s a camera. We can't say to the customer that we're going to give you a dash cam for free or for a subscription where it’s always running. And if we detect any kind of a bump or anything like that, you’ve got a 30-second recording. We will be able to do that.

It sounds like he’s saying we‘ll never get dashcam/sentry mode from the existing cameras as Ford can’t program those modules to do that (or won’t pay the supplier to write code to do so If it is even possible). We‘ll have to buy the next-gen vehicles if we want that feature.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag