Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD SR
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ok guys, thanks for previously enlightening me about the numbers in the app rolling off while AC charging, that was interesting.
Took the car on a little road trip today, and that required charging at a few fast chargers.
Something isn't adding up though.
I stopped by an EA station, and according to the charger, they delivered 67.79 kWh of power. I pulled into the station at 14% according to the car and the Ford app, and unplugged at 65% That means I charged 51%
Almost 68 kWh to get half the battery? This has a 70 or 72kWh battery, doesn't it? I know there are inefficiencies in the charge system, and losses due to cell balancing, but lets be honest, if I really only added 50% of the capacity, that would be 36 kWh, where on earth did 32 thousand watt hours of power just go in a half hour of charging? That would be enough to run like 9 hot water heaters, that can't be possible.
Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
The FordPass app is unreliable. What does your EA app say?

OP
OP

AE0MT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ok guys, thanks for previously enlightening me about the numbers in the app rolling off while AC charging, that was interesting.
Took the car on a little road trip today, and that required charging at a few fast chargers.
Something isn't adding up though.
I stopped by an EA station, and according to the charger, they delivered 67.79 kWh of power. I pulled into the station at 14% according to the car and the Ford app, and unplugged at 65% That means I charged 51%
Almost 68 kWh to get half the battery? This has a 70 or 72kWh battery, doesn't it? I know there are inefficiencies in the charge system, and losses due to cell balancing, but lets be honest, if I really only added 50% of the capacity, that would be 36 kWh, where on earth did 32 thousand watt hours of power just go in a half hour of charging? That would be enough to run like 9 hot water heaters, that can't be possible.
IMG_1679.png

IMG_1678.png

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Huh. Okay, then. That is weird.

I've never seen that in the ~60 DCFC charges I've done.
I wonder if something weird happened on the EA charger and it didn't clear the previous charging session? Does the car also claim it received 68 kWh?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have never DCFC’d but did you get billed for 70kWh? Also, and this is where I am ignorant, how much charge did FP indicate for the session? The EA number does seem a bit wacky.

OP
OP

AE0MT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Huh. Okay, then. That is weird.

I've never seen that in the ~60 DCFC charges I've done.
I wonder if something weird happened on the EA charger and it didn't clear the previous charging session? Does the car also claim it received 68 kWh?
I don't see in the app where it says how much was charged. The page I screenshot doesn't say, is there another place that might say? Thanks for the help.

OP
OP

AE0MT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
so the EA numbers must be off, or my math is off because its midnight.
I charged for 24 minutes. thats 0.4 hours.
if I was delivered 67.79 kWh in 0.4 hours, doesn't that mean the average charge rate would have been 169.475 kW? Their email receipt says my max charge rate was 113 kW, and it only seemed to hold at that rate up to about 20%, when it dropped to about 85 kW. There was no way this was averaging 170kw.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I don't see in the app where it says how much was charged. The page I screenshot doesn't say, is there another place that might say? Thanks for the help.
My apologies. No, the FP app doesn't include the incoming kWh--I've just become so used to doing the % to kWh calculation in my head that I forgot it's not there.

I think EA had a disconnect bug from the previous charging session and added the previous charge to your bill. I think you have enough evidence in the start and end state of charge % to demonstrate that. Your vehicle doesn't have a 132 kWh battery.

OP
OP

AE0MT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My apologies. No, the FP app doesn't include the incoming kWh--I've just become so used to doing the % to kWh calculation in my head that I forgot it's not there.

I think EA had a disconnect bug from the previous charging session and added the previous charge to your bill. I think you have enough evidence in the start and end state of charge % to demonstrate that. Your vehicle doesn't have a 132 kWh battery.
Thank you, that's what I was thinkng.
In addition, the email states max charge rate was 113kW, and it also states I was charging for 24 minutes. If my midnight math is correct again, that means it was only theoretically possible to receive 45.2 kWh of power. We all know that it won't hold 113 for the whole time, as it was hovering around 85 kW most of the charge. 85 * 0.4 is 34 kWh.

larryk

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium on order
Country flag
Actually the FP app does tell you the the kWh, briefly, before you unplug. The message in fp that tells you charging is complete gives you this. But this message disappears when you unplug, or after you unplug and view the message, don't remember the exact sequence.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
With an ER battery (91 kWh) I find that with EA charge events, the % added matches the EA kWh charged +-1. I recently did a 21 kWh charge and FP says I added 21%, for example.
EA is charging for input power, so this means a 9% conversion loss.

Theres definitely something wrong with your numbers for that charge, and it can’t be attributed to higher conversion losses - the charger couldn’t dissipate that much heat.
Sponsored