DE Vehicle Electrification Plan

mpellerito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I'm a new Mach E owner who lives in DE, so I decided to do a bit more research in terms of future station buildout and what the state is looking to do to help with EVs. I came across the state's website (https://deldot.gov/Programs/NEVI/index.shtml), however the last update mentions a roadmap for Jan 2023 and a plan to build charging stations every 50 mile increments for 2023 and 25 mile increments for 2024 on major routes.

My question is has anyone heard updates around state funding or planning for EV charging locations? I really appreciate the plan to build charging stations on these main roads (95, 1, 13). I'm just hoping that they build the stations before the summer rush to get down to the beaches and they focus on non-Tesla chargers (unless Tesla opens their network).
Sponsored

Glen Boise

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Your state NEVI plan was a requirement of the Biden Bipartisan Infrastructure Law passed last year. It required each state prepare an implementation plan identifying locations meeting the Law's standards of providing DCFCharging every 50 miles on roads designated as "alternative fuel corridors" at locations within one mile of the interchanges or in toll road travel plazas. These are typically interstates, toll roads and the like. In return, the state becomes eligible to spend federal highway dollars on providing the DCFChargers using 80% Federal and 20% local funds. States have flexibility on how they do this though there are existing rules on using the funds.
How quickly the state DOT's will proceed is another matter. They are not used to what are better described as economic development projects. (In Indiana, the DOT is going to solicit bids from existing DCFC providers to do the work of finding actual sites, leasing/buying the land and building the chargers. After which the state will compensate the provider.) So do not hold your breath about seeing construction of the chargers this year.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I'm a new Mach E owner who lives in DE, so I decided to do a bit more research in terms of future station buildout and what the state is looking to do to help with EVs. I came across the state's website (https://deldot.gov/Programs/NEVI/index.shtml), however the last update mentions a roadmap for Jan 2023 and a plan to build charging stations every 50 mile increments for 2023 and 25 mile increments for 2024 on major routes.

My question is has anyone heard updates around state funding or planning for EV charging locations? I really appreciate the plan to build charging stations on these main roads (95, 1, 13). I'm just hoping that they build the stations before the summer rush to get down to the beaches and they focus on non-Tesla chargers (unless Tesla opens their network).
Take a look here:
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/nevi/ev_deployment_plans/index.cfm?format=list#map

It shows the proposal for where to place chargers.

OP
OP

mpellerito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Your state NEVI plan was a requirement of the Biden Bipartisan Infrastructure Law passed last year. It required each state prepare an implementation plan identifying locations meeting the Law's standards of providing DCFCharging every 50 miles on roads designated as "alternative fuel corridors" at locations within one mile of the interchanges or in toll road travel plazas. These are typically interstates, toll roads and the like. In return, the state becomes eligible to spend federal highway dollars on providing the DCFChargers using 80% Federal and 20% local funds. States have flexibility on how they do this though there are existing rules on using the funds.
How quickly the state DOT's will proceed is another matter. They are not used to what are better described as economic development projects. (In Indiana, the DOT is going to solicit bids from existing DCFC providers to do the work of finding actual sites, leasing/buying the land and building the chargers. After which the state will compensate the provider.) So do not hold your breath about seeing construction of the chargers this year.

Thanks for this bit of clarification. I don't know for sure how quickly they can move to actually getting things done and it's the government, so it's always a bit slower. The big thing is DE is such a small state that they literally need to open 5 stations to have the 50 mile requirement and I believe only another 5-10 stations to meet the 25 mile requirement. It's not really a big ask in my opinion as long as the funds are available.

OP
OP

mpellerito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Take a look here:
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/nevi/ev_deployment_plans/index.cfm?format=list#map

It shows the proposal for where to place chargers.
Thanks for sharing this link. It looks like the same document that was included on the DE state website. I saw that it was marked as draft, so I wasn't sure where it stood or if anything ever happened with it. But from your link it looks like it was approved, so hopefully the state is taking some actions to get those chargers installed.
Sponsored