Different behaviors for PAAK with FOB vs PAAK without FOB

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
I have had PAAK set up since getting my MME mid June and have the phone linked to the key FOB. Until the last few days I always carried the FOB with me but decided to experiment recently with PAAK only, keeping the key in a Faraday bag in the center console. It is well shielded since without my phone the car doesn't recognize me and doesn't sense a key in the car. While doing this over the past few days I've noticed a few differences in how the car behaves with and without the FOB on my person. I realize that these differences may simply be variability in car behavior under different conditions and I'm just not picking up on those differences, but nevertheless, here are a few things I've noticed:
  • Walk away locking: I have this enabled, and when I carry the FOB I always get a pop up message on my iPhone from FordPass saying the car has been locked. In addition, I'm pretty sure the mirrors turn in. With PAAK only, I don't get that message from FP, but when I look at the widget, it says the doors are locked. And with PAAK only, the mirrors don't turn in.
  • Remote start: If I remote start and have the FOB with me, when I get in and start the car, the seats don't go back to the memory position (I have easy entry/exit enabled)--I have to hit the memory button for that to happen. I've asked about this before in a thread and others had the same experience; the general thinking was that the car already started remotely so it doesn't seem to think it needs to move the seats. But the last few times I remote started and then got into the car using PAAK without the FOB, and hit start, the seats moved to the proper memory position.
Has anyone else noticed these behaviors?
Sponsored

RSH

First Name
RSH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Rapid Red Premium ER
Country flag
I have had PAAK set up since getting my MME mid June and have the phone linked to the key FOB. Until the last few days I always carried the FOB with me but decided to experiment recently with PAAK only, keeping the key in a Faraday bag in the center console. It is well shielded since without my phone the car doesn't recognize me and doesn't sense a key in the car. While doing this over the past few days I've noticed a few differences in how the car behaves with and without the FOB on my person. I realize that these differences may simply be variability in car behavior under different conditions and I'm just not picking up on those differences, but nevertheless, here are a few things I've noticed:
  • Walk away locking: I have this enabled, and when I carry the FOB I always get a pop up message on my iPhone from FordPass saying the car has been locked. In addition, I'm pretty sure the mirrors turn in. With PAAK only, I don't get that message from FP, but when I look at the widget, it says the doors are locked. And with PAAK only, the mirrors don't turn in.

Has anyone else noticed these behaviors?

• I use PAAK only. With walk away lock, I get the notification on my Samsung devices (phone and watch) and my mirrors turn in.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
Mach-E PAAK is a joke. I’ve likely had the number of times it worked “right” be less than 10%. I love to try it, but almost always have to hit the unlock button in the app before anything else works. Fully updated.

That said, OPs issue could be profile based key’s? Remember you tag your key to your profile and all settings might not default to the other key not on your profile.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
If you’re mirrors aren’t folding, then your car isn’t locking. I suspect your faraday bag is leaving your car completely unlocked and your widget isn’t updating as much as you think it is.
try walking back to the car without your phone and I bet you can get in.

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you’re mirrors aren’t folding, then your car isn’t locking. I suspect your faraday bag is leaving your car completely unlocked and your widget isn’t updating as much as you think it is.
try walking back to the car without your phone and I bet you can get in.
Just checked and you’re right. And I refreshed the widget and it shows the doors unlocked. I remember a bunch of threads about PAAK and walk away lock not working so I’ll try to find those and will read up. I probably will just go back to carrying the FOB.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Faraday bags are not 100% reliable way of inhibiting a key. You could park somewhere that reflects the signal differently and it might work. Taking the battery out is really only the safe way to inactivate a hidden fob.

mccdeuce

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW e-Golf, 2022 MME Cal RT1 IBSM
Country flag
  • Remote start: If I remote start and have the FOB with me, when I get in and start the car, the seats don't go back to the memory position (I have easy entry/exit enabled)--I have to hit the memory button for that to happen. I've asked about this before in a thread and others had the same experience; the general thinking was that the car already started remotely so it doesn't seem to think it needs to move the seats. But the last few times I remote started and then got into the car using PAAK without the FOB, and hit start, the seats moved to the proper memory position
I know those that heavily hate on the PAAK. For me it really is a 95% solution and if it is not working right, I just close and reopen FordPass and it works just fine.

I routinely have the FOB in my pocket for when I drive to work (long drive) and do not have FOB with me when I am running errands around within 10-15 miles from the house. Walk away works flawlessly in both scenarios and I get the notification of car locking.

Occasionally with both FOB and PAAK, despite my phone and FOB being paired to my profile, and my wife's FOB and PAAK being paired to her profile, I will go to get in and the seat location will be her location. (she's 5ft, so I just hit the 1 on the door to prevent squeezing in) I do not have easy entry/exit enabled.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
"Different behaviors for PAAK with FOB vs PAAK without FOB"

No, with both the FOB is the behavior.

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
"Different behaviors for PAAK with FOB vs PAAK without FOB"

No, with both the FOB is the behavior.
Sorry Rick but I don’t know what you are saying here.

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Faraday bags are not 100% reliable way of inhibiting a key. You could park somewhere that reflects the signal differently and it might work. Taking the battery out is really only the safe way to inactivate a hidden fob.
Interesting. Wouldn’t I get some sort of notification that I’ve left my key in the car when I walk away?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Interesting. Wouldn’t I get some sort of notification that I’ve left my key in the car when I walk away?
No. But it will let you lock the key inside if it detects you have another key outside. Or if you use the 7-8 and 9-0 buttons to override the anti-lockout feature.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Sorry Rick but I don’t know what you are saying here.
I am saying there is no such thing as PaaK behavior if you have the fob in your pocket. That's fob behavior. PaaK operation can only be determined if no fob is in range...

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
After some experimenting, I think you're correct. I left my key in the house and used PAAK only and walk away lock did work.