nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
Good morning everyone, I hereby award the "You Are Beating The Dead Horse" award to this thread! 😂
Ford Mustang Mach-E Disconnected by a Rivan driver at charging station giphy (1)
Sponsored

Sneezy

First Name
Sneezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Trans Am Firehawk, 21 Mach E Premium EXT.
Occupation
NRA Rifle Instructor
Country flag
Unpopular opinion here, but what he did might have been understandable based on the following:
  • You were charging at an Electrify America station on a holiday weekend
    • People need to use the chargers to travel, which should take priority over local convenience charging
  • There were reports that all four stations were full on Saturday
  • You did not seem to need the extra charge and were taking your time getting a manicure while DC charging past 80% without regard to others possibly waiting in line to charge
In the future, please be more courteous to other drivers and move your vehicle when it reaches 80%, ESPECIALLY on a holiday weekend when people need the chargers to reach the destination.

He was probably waiting around for a while to see if you'd come back. If he was traveling, he might have already had a very frustrating day of full or broken chargers, and you were the last straw.

If you must charge past 80% at a busy EA station, you should be present or leave a note saying you need the extra charge past 80%. You have to realize there are too many people clogging up the stations charging past 80% when they don't actually need it to get home. They're just being cheap or lazy.

You should also know that DC charging past 80% is not good for the battery either. You should only do that if necessary to reach your destination. The time to charge from 80% to 100% is very slow, you are better off unplugging at 80% and stopping at the next station rather than waiting for 90% or 100%. You seem to think it's okay to tie up the station for 2 hours, that's too long.
This is the equivalent of you stopping me pumping gas into my Trans Am when it hits 10 gallons and deciding that I didn't need any more fuel.

Her car was still charging so you don't touch it. If it was done, then that's fine. Otherwise you must wait.

AlbaOH

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
I think ideally it would lock but with the ability to disable the locking in a setting. While I'd appreciate the ability to lock when charging in a public location, at home I am often plugging/unplugging my Mach-E without my keys or PaaK enabled phone on me, so I wouldn't want it to necessarily always require the vehicle to be unlocked as no one is going to unplug me to steal my charge except my next door neighbor, but I know where he lives.
I honestly thought that maybe since the car knows when it is home, and my charger indicates that as well, it might only lock in place if charging away, but that might be expecting too much. 😏

Reactions: ARK

AlbaOH

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Professor
Country flag
Good morning everyone, I hereby award the "You Are Beating The Dead Horse" award to this thread! 😂
Ford Mustang Mach-E Disconnected by a Rivan driver at charging station giphy (1)
Yes! But I did just fill out my Ford satisfaction survey 2 minutes before I read this thread, not knowing it didn’t lock in place away from home. Dang, I would have included it as a downside!

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
This is the equivalent of you stopping me pumping gas into my Trans Am when it hits 10 gallons and deciding that I didn't need any more fuel.

Her car was still charging so you don't touch it. If it was done, then that's fine. Otherwise you must wait.
This! 👆👆👆👆👆👆

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
These threads won’t end until enough people have unwatched it in disgust or blocked the people they disagree with.

Zero chance it ends because someone changed someone else’s mind and we have a consensus.

It’s also just enough pages for new people to reply to something on page 2 that was already said on pages 4, 6, 7 and 12.

b1ptsv24

First Name
Shirl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e
Country flag

That’s a great analogy.

MrPeanut

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Definitely rude, and really just dumb. While the odds of something going wrong are basically zero, doing anything on a vehicle you don't own and aren't familiar with is almost always a bad idea. Maybe this model DOES lock the charger cable, or has some bug where it needs to have the charge stopped at the car, or you go to unplug and the port is tight and you yank on it and accidentally damage the charge door. As others noted you shouldn't touch another persons vehicle, even by way of an attached device.

It does just go further on how charging infrastructure is the real PITA when it comes to these vehicles. Part of me thinks someone shouldn't use a DCFC just because they are going to a place near the charger but don't need the charge, because it takes the spot from someone that may legitimately need the charge for a trip. But... the reality is we shouldn't have to worry about that. The charging infrastructure should be plentiful enough and reliable enough that people can charge just through opportunity. I mean my F-150 is 3/4 full in the gas tank, but I am likely not going to prevent someone from continuing on their trip if I went up to the gas station just to top it off.
Got brave and went on a road trip of about 200 miles. Only one, 4 bay EA charger set up at a WalMart coming and going. While I experienced the usual throttle down that EA is famous for, I was more upset by the behavior of the others who were charging. It reminded me of the cluster f**k at most public boat ramps, where people get on them and conduct themselves as the only people on the planet even while others are waiting! One couple sat in their car for almost 10 minutes after completing the charge while doing whatever while three of us waited. Another family had obviously done their weekly shopping, but even though they, too, had completed a charge, broke out the food for an in vehicle picnic! I tried to get into the adjacent charger which came open but they had the doors open preventing me from even getting out of the car!! And, this is all without mentioning the use of the charger location as a dumping ground for trash and litter!

No amount of new charging locations will replace the improved charging opportunities presented by just plain common sense behavior. Yes, I'm a curmudgeonly old guy, but one who respects the rights of others.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I unplugged someone at a DCFC once.

It was the only EA station working, but I didn't even really need to charge. I was chatting with another EV driver that did need to charge.

The vehicle that was plugged in was at 100% and only a minute away from being charged for idling. I also closed the charge port.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
One couple sat in their car for almost 10 minutes after completing the charge while doing whatever while three of us waited. Another family had obviously done their weekly shopping, but even though they, too, had completed a charge, broke out the food for an in vehicle picnic! I tried to get into the adjacent charger which came open but they had the doors open preventing me from even getting out of the car!! And, this is all without mentioning the use of the charger location as a dumping ground for trash and litter!
You have to tell us what they were driving.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Got brave and went on a road trip of about 200 miles. Only one, 4 bay EA charger set up at a WalMart coming and going. While I experienced the usual throttle down that EA is famous for, I was more upset by the behavior of the others who were charging. It reminded me of the cluster f**k at most public boat ramps, where people get on them and conduct themselves as the only people on the planet even while others are waiting! One couple sat in their car for almost 10 minutes after completing the charge while doing whatever while three of us waited. Another family had obviously done their weekly shopping, but even though they, too, had completed a charge, broke out the food for an in vehicle picnic! I tried to get into the adjacent charger which came open but they had the doors open preventing me from even getting out of the car!! And, this is all without mentioning the use of the charger location as a dumping ground for trash and litter!

No amount of new charging locations will replace the improved charging opportunities presented by just plain common sense behavior. Yes, I'm a curmudgeonly old guy, but one who respects the rights of others.
I would have kindly asked them to move if they were done charging.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
These threads won’t end until enough people have unwatched it in disgust or blocked the people they disagree with.

Zero chance it ends because someone changed someone else’s mind and we have a consensus.

It’s also just enough pages for new people to reply to something on page 2 that was already said on pages 4, 6, 7 and 12.
Expecting this thread to end while someone has a comment to share would be like a Rivian driver unplugging my Mach before it was done charging! Wait a minute . . . .?
Sponsored