Do I need to keep the manual 'spare keys'?

Djmc321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Our UK Mustangs come with the basic Ford keys (I recall this was because of cloning concerns), but I received a set of the manual 'pull out' keys from the original Mustang Fob which I assumed was to manually open the doors if the battery runs flat.

However - I just saw this video which highlights that the pull-out keys are just blanks to fill the standard key fob and the only way to unlock the doors with a flat battery is to charge the battery with the jumper connectors accessible on the front of the car:

Which begs the question, why have I been given these two parts? Did anyone else get them, and can I just throw them away if they're not needed?

My car was delivered to my house so I might have missed some of the dealer-handover which explained this!
Sponsored

FordMachEGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWDx April 2021 build.
Country flag
Our UK Mustangs come with the basic Ford keys (I recall this was because of cloning concerns), but I received a set of the manual 'pull out' keys from the original Mustang Fob which I assumed was to manually open the doors if the battery runs flat.

However - I just saw this video which highlights that the pull-out keys are just blanks to fill the standard key fob and the only way to unlock the doors with a flat battery is to charge the battery with the jumper connectors accessible on the front of the car:

Which begs the question, why have I been given these two parts? Did anyone else get them, and can I just throw them away if they're not needed?

My car was delivered to my house so I might have missed some of the dealer-handover which explained this!
They just used the same Fob that’s been in use on many vehicles. There is no use for or need to keep the blank. But if you remove it, the Fob case will be less stable and may unintentionally come apart, not to mention it’ll have a huge unattractive and rough edged opening where the blank was inserted.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
They just used the same Fob that’s been in use on many vehicles. There is no use for or need to keep the blank. But if you remove it, the Fob case will be less stable and may unintentionally come apart, not to mention it’ll have a huge unattractive and rough edged opening where the blank was inserted.
Not in the UK. It sounds like the key blanks are not integrated with the fob over there, so I'm not sure why they included them or why they would be needed for anything.

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag

The key blank is useful to pry the back off of the fob to replace the battery.
If the blank is removed there won't be a way to attach the fob to a key chain.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Djmc321 , it might be helpful to add a picture of your fob and key blank so you stop getting advice that may not apply in the UK.

Reactions: ARK

OP
OP

Djmc321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
@Djmc321 , it might be helpful to add a picture of your fob and key blank so you stop getting advice that may not apply in the UK.
Yeah I'd posted in the UK forum but appreciate this still gets highlighted on the homepage!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Do I need to keep the manual 'spare keys'? MVIMG_20211119_165334

Attached photo. I've two sets of these but as you can tell, because we get a different fob in the UK, the original Mustang bit seems completely redundant?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah I'd posted in the UK forum but appreciate this still gets highlighted on the homepage!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Do I need to keep the manual 'spare keys'? MVIMG_20211119_165334

Attached photo. I've two sets of these but as you can tell, because we get a different fob in the UK, the original Mustang bit seems completely redundant?
Yeah, I can’t imagine why you’d need the key blank. It was probably just some internal Ford process that didn’t translate well when they switched to a different fob for the UK.

Sin_Chase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER
Okay thanks, so at least one reason not to throw them away at least!
To be fair you can probably do it with a coin!

Ford UK issued a TSB surrounding key blanks not being included with new sales. As far as I can work out the only use is the passenger airbag switch (It's in the e-manual for the UK market)
Sponsored