Does Magneride make that much of a difference?

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
Currently drive a 2021 Tesla Model Y. It rattles your teeth going over every little bump in the highway.

Have a MME GT on order, but not a Performance model. Haven't been able to test drive one either, because no dealer in the area has a GTPE. I was able to test drive the GT and while not a soft ride, it seemed much better than the Model Y on my limited drive.

Reasons for GT:
* don't care about the extra torque of the GTPE
* prefer the copper stitching on the GT seats
* do not want to switch winter/summer wheels (did that in the past, want no part of it now)

Reasons for GTPE:
* much prefer the wheels (would have to immediately swap for all season tires though)
* magneride?

The only reviews I can find on the magneride of the MME are in relation to it's overall handling at speed around turns. I care more about what it does or doesn't do in relation to ride quality. Would a softer ride also always mean driving in Whisper? Does it make that much of a difference vs the GT without it?
Sponsored

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
I had a GT, Model Y, I have an RWD Select right now, Model Y had the best suspension, Mach E is so rough! I never liked it, the MY was such a smoother ride.

Warp Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE, 2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I had a 22 GT and traded it for a 23 GTPE. For what it's worth, my opinion is that Magneride softens the ride just enough that it's worth it (and it also handles better). It's not night and day, but it's enough for my wife and I that it's more comfortable on longer trips. We mostly drive in Unbridle, and Whisper seems like it's even softer.

I don't live in a cold climate but I do plan to replace the stock summer tires with all seasons, probably before next winter. Various folks on the forum have done that already.

Last edited:

apailthorp

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e GT, 2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I have a GT non PE for pretty much the same reasons you note. I'd like to get some more dampening struts, but don't think I regret not spending another $6K and then having to get winter wheels and tires as well (and store more tires). Also not fond of big seat bolsters. YMYMMV

Really waiting on Koni or Bilstein.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I got the GT-PE because of (in order) the bigger brakes, Magneride, supposedly Forged wheels (we now know that they are not), seats. 😊🐩

It was tempting to get a GT because in the first year you could get a metal roof with 360 cameras. 🤷‍♂️🐩

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had a 22 GT and traded it for a 23 GTPE. For what it's worth, my opinion is that Magneride softens the ride just enough that it's worth it (and it also handles better). It's not night and day, but it's enough for my wife and I that it's more comfortable on longer trips. We mostly drive in Unbridle, and Whisper seems like it's even softer.

I don't live in a cold climate but I do plan to replace the stock summer tires with all seasons, probably before next winter. Various folks on the forum have done that already.
I've been following a lot of threads on this topic over the last year+ because that's my single biggest negative with the MME as well - the stiff, jarring ride on imperfect roads. Yours mirrors most of the comments I've seen, that the Magneride helps some, but only some, and it's still kinda stiff for anyone looking for a soft luxury ride.

Love my First Edition overall, and it's great on smooth highways at high speed. But around town on dips and ruts, it just feels like I'm bottoming out. It's a common problem to most current EVs, from the sounds of it. I usually keep cars for 10+ years, but if they come out with a similar EV Lincoln in a few years that actually has a soft, floaty suspension, I might consider retiring this one early for that.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I had a 2021 Premium MME and couldn't handle the "bounce" from the suspension on the road I take to work everyday. I upgraded after a few months to a 2021 GTPE and love it. It isn't a super cushioned ride and does ride sporty but, in my opinion, much better than a 3 or a Y which just can't handle bumps at all it seems. It is nothing like my old Mercedes, obviously, but isn't something that I notice as "bad" and no one else has commented on it being jarring or rough.

My Premium had a light fender bender and I kept getting picked up in Model 3s and Ys and they were just jostling me nonstop on the road I would take in my Premium to work that even my Premium seemed like a dream.

joes723

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE IBSM "LITHEUM"
Country flag
We have a '22 GTPE and now a '23 Model 3 Performance...Magneride makes a remarkable difference that both my spouse (M3P driver) and I agree on. We also take into consideration that the difference in tires also contribute to it. My GTPE seats are phenomenal, and everyone comments on them. To me, it was worth the upgrade. Not to mention unlocking the additional torque, just so that I can say mine has more. 😅 😅 😅

Bryan_GTPE

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 302A in Silver - Current
Country flag
No complaints about the Magnaride, some roads near me are absolute trash and I don’t find the car bouncing or it being too jarring over the rough stuff. It also corners absolutely flat on cloverleafs if you want to push it.

As far as the seats, I don’t get why many complain, they are far more comfortable than they look, certainly not anything like Recaros in a 2 door Mustang. I don’t find them to be any tighter fitting than the seats in my wife’s Highlander. To each their own though.

Does any dealer near you have a GTPE that you could at least sit in, if not test drive?

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLE 450, space white GT received 11/04/22
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
Currently drive a 2021 Tesla Model Y. It rattles your teeth going over every little bump in the highway.

Have a MME GT on order, but not a Performance model. Haven't been able to test drive one either, because no dealer in the area has a GTPE. I was able to test drive the GT and while not a soft ride, it seemed much better than the Model Y on my limited drive.

Reasons for GT:
* do not want to switch winter/summer wheels (did that in the past, want no part of it now)

Reasons for GTPE:
* much prefer the wheels (would have to immediately swap for all season tires though)
* magneride?

The only reviews I can find on the magneride of the MME are in relation to it's overall handling at speed around turns. I care more about what it does or doesn't do in relation to ride quality. Would a softer ride also always mean driving in Whisper? Does it make that much of a difference vs the GT without it?
Dropping your tire pressure to 35-36 psi will do a whole lot more than magnaride. The implantation of mag ride shocks in the Mach e is the worst in the automotive industry. Who ever did the calibration at ford should be shamed out of a job.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag

Reasons for GT:

Reasons for GTPE:
* magneride?

I would look to see who is selling a used one, yes I know its a hassle to go to a dealer and test drive but its the only way to really know is to drive them.

I own a 21 Premium with 245/45/20 tires and it drives almost identically to the regular GT IMHO. I have driven a few GTPE and its a noticeably more plush ride. I would trade and get a GTPE but interest rates are nuts so I am not goanna do it.

machdady

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Ice Blue
Country flag
I got a 22 GTPE specifically for the wheels and the magneride. I test drove the GT and found it ok (in California) and when I picked up the GTPE in New York where I live I was a bit surprised it wasn’t “softer”. I’ve put on conti extreme contact DWS 06+ for all season now. That has made a huge difference. The 35-36 psi also helps a lot.

As many have said you can’t have cushy ride and a sporty ride at same time. I have gotten used to the ride with our crappy roads in Ny and really like the sportiness. I don’t regret getting the PE but it’s a personally preference of course.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Reasons for GT:

Reasons for GTPE:
* magneride?

Comparing ice muscle comfort the GTPE. Our daughter has a 2012 challenger srt8 392 with sport seats and been brembo brakes and superb suspension. Quite, fast and very comfortable. GTPE exceeds the 392. Biggest plus is so little road noise and hitting expansion joints or road imperfections are absorbed with the shocks. Magnaride is incredible. Tires make a difference and swapping summer tires for all season Michelin pilot as4 also helped. The summer tires are going on the challenger in spring.
Sponsored