Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
Your screens went blank? Did you also lose power?
Sponsored

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
C1034564-0374-4DF9-ADC9-BA399E521B73.jpeg

Here we go once again. Now doesn’t turn on after a couple hours downtime. Back to the dealer I suppose.
That has happened to many of us. The dealer is good, not trying to discourage it, but FWIW, lifting the negative 12V LVB battery terminal for a minute or two and reconnecting it has solved this blank driver's speedo display for all who have tried it (as far as I know, it definitely worked for me).

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...12v-battery-at-the-battery.10174/#post-256897

I had my first odd quirk recently (since the 12V problems of months past) when a block or so from home, I realized my driver's display (the speedo, etc) was blank. I pulled over and turned the car off and back on, no change. So, I drove home, lifted the negative terminal for just ten to twenty seconds, reconnected, and all was fine, driver's display has been normal since.

Shoudn't have to do it, but a lot of EV drivers have been carrying a 10mm socket since the first Chevy Volt for just such gremlins.

The 10mm nut to lift the negative clamp is about a 10 second operation, but not without controversy. Some want to lift the other side based on notes in the WSM or that recent MME police bulletin. I think that's nutty, but full disclosure here. To lift the other side, takes a 13mm wrench, many turns, then man handle the lug locating tab out of a hole in the chassis. Might take removing the large structural cross bar too, like I said IMHO, absolutely NUTs. OTOH, do keep in mind that the little rectangular box on the 12V negative terminal is actually a little computer system, the BMS. So, handle it gently, and don't over torque the 10mm nut when putting it back, just tight enough to be snug, so the terminal does not move.

Last edited:

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
C1034564-0374-4DF9-ADC9-BA399E521B73.jpeg

Here we go once again. Now doesn’t turn on after a couple hours downtime. Back to the dealer I suppose.
I bet the old junction damaged the battery. When I was getting mine repaired, the 12v wasn't taking a charge, so they thought they had to replace the battery for me. Later, it looked Iike it was holding a charge and stable, so they gave me back the car. They're still ordering a new battery for me though.

A replacement 12v and verification from the dealership that the battery is getting properly charged should fix it.

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I bet the old junction damaged the battery. When I was getting mine repaired, the 12v wasn't taking a charge, so they thought they had to replace the battery for me. Later, it looked Iike it was holding a charge and stable, so they gave me back the car. They're still ordering a new battery for me though.

A replacement 12v and verification from the dealership that the battery is getting properly charged should fix it.
Ah, maybe I misunderstood that it's only the display that's blank. I thought the car shut down on the freeway.

dixiekidd88

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Prem XAWD, 14 f150 3.5 Ecoboost, 22 Edge ST 2.7
Country flag
I finally have the tech notes of what they found with our MME.

406 10B687 CC 42 VERIFY CUSTOMERS CONCERN VEHICLE HAD NO POWER 12V BATTERY DEAD. LOAD TEST BATTERY WITH DCA 8000 BATTERY FAILED 312C4XXXXXXD PERFORMED BATTERY REPLCEMENT AND RETEST

FOUND U0594 IN BECM, P0DA8 IN SOBDMB, P0D2D, P1A10, U351B,U351F IN SOBDMC. PERFORMED HOTLINE CONTACT PERFORMED PPT CH AND PPT R, RESULTS INCONCLUSIVE. HOTLINE CALL FROM BRENT. FOUND P0AA2 IN VEHICLE HISTORY. PER HOTLINE. LOWERED BATTERY PACK. PERFORMED HIGH VOLTAGE JUNCTION BOX AND BECM REPLACEMENT. PERFORMED BATTERY LEAK TEST-PASS. REINSTALLED BATTERY PACK. PERFORMED REPROGRAMMING AND COOLANT FILL PROCEDURE. CLEARED ALL CODES VEHICLE NOW RUNS AS DESIGNED.

$2,650.50 for parts/labor of 7 hours plus$500 of rental car fees. Was out of service for exactly 4 weeks.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
$2,650.50 for parts/labor of 7 hours plus$500 of rental car fees. Was out of service for exactly 4 weeks.
I hope that was all covered by the warranty, right?

dixiekidd88

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Prem XAWD, 14 f150 3.5 Ecoboost, 22 Edge ST 2.7
Country flag
I hope that was all covered by the warranty, right?
Yes it was thankfully. We were also given a rental car right upfront with the extended warranty through ford. otherwise we would have had to wait for corporate to approve it, so the extended warranty already was helpful.
Sponsored