spicy_taco

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
I mentioned this before in a side thread, but now I have video if it. Curious if anyone else is seeing this. This is on a 23 Premium with 4.2.2.2 but I have seen it before on whatever version that 23s originally shipped with.

Several times a week my car will bug out. When I enter the car the brake pedal will feel stiff. Every time that happens, when I power up the car the driver's display will consistently flash the "Engage" mode color for a split second then switch back to "Unbridle" (my selected mode). At the end of this my center screen will be in Engage mode, my driver's display will be in Unbridle, and I won't be able to switch to Unbridle without first going to Whisper.

It doesn't seem to be related to LVB being low, as it happens even when the LVB is ~12.5v when I enter the car. I've unplugged the 12v several times without resolving this.

Just curious if others are seeing it. It seems possibly related to the "Drive Mode Not Available" errors that others (and myself) experience during driving, but this has this consistent connection to my brake pedal being still on startup.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I've not seen this before... Weird bug!

In your first video, you mention that it is briefly in Engage and then switches to Unbridle on the instrument cluster. From what I see, it's the opposite. You very briefly (half a second) see Unbridle, and then it switches to Engage.

I have a 21 job 1 car and it's behind on many updates, but I will say that for the 2 years I've had the car, the instrument cluster always starts in the Engage style appearance when I start the vehicle after it's been off for at least 15-30 minutes. Then within a few seconds an animation transitions it to my preferred mode (Whisper or Engage depending on my recent mood.)

I have noticed the stiff brake pedal concern before starting the vehicle but only on a few occasions and it resolved itself once I started the car. I had the same experience on prior ICE vehicles though... For me it seemed mostly linked to dramatic weather changes, like huge overnight temperature drops.

OP
OP

spicy_taco

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
I've not seen this before... Weird bug!

In your first video, you mention that it is briefly in Engage and then switches to Unbridle on the instrument cluster. From what I see, it's the opposite. You very briefly (half a second) see Unbridle, and then it switches to Engage.
In the video when the pony logo is present the screen is Blue then Orange. Blue implies Engage mode. Orange implies Unbridle. I have only seen the 4.x UI, so not sure in previous UIs it was different colors.

Normally (when the pedal is not stiff), it starts up in Orange without being blue, and then the center screen stays in Engage.

After the pony logo disappears, the screen shows the battery bar across the whole screen and then ends up in what is normally shown with the Unbridle mode (If I had started to move it would show the glowing Unbridle lines).

Something is definitely up with my car. I have frequent freezes on startup in addition to this issue. I took it to the dealer today where they did a factory reset and were also able to (thankfully) reproduce the freezing even after the factory reset. Now I have a case open with Ford and we're waiting for Ford to tell the dealer how to approach this next.
Sponsored