dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
So I just picked up my MME Extended Range AWD Premium on Saturday, and I’ve been a Tesla Model 3 owner for a little over 4 years. I know the 3 and MME aren’t the direct competitors that the Y and MME are, but this is what I have to work with. Initial impressions:

The 3 is noticeably quicker and steering is more responsive. 3’s suspension is much more compliant. The 3 feels confident in turns and twists, the MME seems like it’s wandering. Again, somewhat comparing apples and oranges with a sedan vs CUV.

I never thought I’d say this but I prefer Tesla’s infotainment system over Ford’s Sync. The streaming services are great, voice command is superior. Sync’s touchscreen has even more levels to dig into than Tesla, even with all the physical buttons and knobs, I’m finding it more difficult to make adjustments. Maybe this will get easier as I become more familiar, and I expect that Ford will refine their UI to simplify it and put more commands on the main screen. My first impression is that sound quality is slightly better in the MME.

Almost a wash with front seats, I think the seating surface of the MME is more comfortable and I really like the perforated seats (I hope they hold up), but the back support of the 3 fits me better. Of course, personal ergonomics and preference will dictate. 3 has more legroom for the rear seats, I haven’t sat in either rear seat but the MME looks more comfortable.

BlueCruise and EAP seem fairly similar. I don’t let Elon change lanes for me, so the lane keeping and active cruise features seem pretty close. I do like how you can drive “hands free” with the E, but sheesh that eye tracking warning pops up fast. I’d look away to try to change the temperature and it would warn me before I could finish and look back up.

I prefer BLIS and cross traffic warning systems. I think lack of these features was a major miss by Tesla (even with the new camera blind spot)

Charging is definitely in favor of the 3. I regularly hit 250kW in the Tesla; although I haven’t fast-charged the MME it obviously won’t charge as quickly. And of course the charging network.

I definitely appreciate the MME’s auto-liftgate over the manual on the 3. The ambient lighting is more pronounced in the MME.

Build quality seems similar. I think the seat materials are superior in the MME, but the rest of the surfaces are better quality in the 3. Of course aesthetics are subjective. The dial knob in the MME looks cheesy to me, and I hate the way both cars have huge tablets sticking out in the car. I much prefer the way other manufacturers are better integrating the screens.

Quick hits: I’ve always loved Ford’s securikey! I wish the MME had pin to drive so I could leave my keys in the car without worry. MME door “handles” are superior to the awkward handles on the 3. Love how the 3’s side mirrors lower when you reverse. So much more storage in the MME (again apples to oranges).

I'm sure I'm missing something or other, but those are the things that come to mind.

Overall I prefer my 3, although with time we’ll see if the MME grows on me some more. I like both cars and for the price of the MME (after incentives) I think it was a good value.
Sponsored

Schmetsky

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CRV, GolfR, MDX, Sienna, RX350
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
What size tires on on the 3 versus the 225s on the MME?

OP
OP

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
235/45 18

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Thanks for the concise comparison. I’m somewhat surprised about the voice command comments. Other people have told me that voice commands were a Tesla weakness.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I have no qualms about locking my fob in the car and accessing with the door keypad.

OP
OP

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have no qualms about locking my fob in the car and accessing with the door keypad.
But if someone was to break into your car with the fob inside, they could just drive off - correct?

In my Tesla, you can enable PIN to drive which forces the driver to enter a PIN code on the screen to be able to drive the car, even with a fob.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
But if someone was to break into your car with the fob inside, they could just drive off - correct?

In my Tesla, you can enable PIN to drive which forces the driver to enter a PIN code on the screen to be able to drive the car, even with a fob.
we have the same, PIN for doors, passcode to start, the passcode has to be a bit long so a pain to key in, but works fine to start/drive without phone or key.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
we have the same, PIN for doors, passcode to start, the passcode has to be a bit long so a pain to key in, but works fine to start/drive without phone or key.
They could. Which means they‘ve likely smashed a window. It’s pretty unlikely someone's going to smash the window (setting off the alarm) in hope the key’s inside. Could happen, but I’m not too worried in my rural area.

If you setup PAAK, you can drive with just the PIN.

Miloman356

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, Toyota Prius
Country flag
So I just picked up my MME Extended Range AWD Premium on Saturday, and I’ve been a Tesla Model 3 owner for a little over 4 years. I know the 3 and MME aren’t the direct competitors that the Y and MME are, but this is what I have to work with. Initial impressions:

The 3 is noticeably quicker and steering is more responsive. 3’s suspension is much more compliant. The 3 feels confident in turns and twists, the MME seems like it’s wandering. Again, somewhat comparing apples and oranges with a sedan vs CUV.

I never thought I’d say this but I prefer Tesla’s infotainment system over Ford’s Sync. The streaming services are great, voice command is superior. Sync’s touchscreen has even more levels to dig into than Tesla, even with all the physical buttons and knobs, I’m finding it more difficult to make adjustments. Maybe this will get easier as I become more familiar, and I expect that Ford will refine their UI to simplify it and put more commands on the main screen. My first impression is that sound quality is slightly better in the MME.

Almost a wash with front seats, I think the seating surface of the MME is more comfortable and I really like the perforated seats (I hope they hold up), but the back support of the 3 fits me better. Of course, personal ergonomics and preference will dictate. 3 has more legroom for the rear seats, I haven’t sat in either rear seat but the MME looks more comfortable.

BlueCruise and EAP seem fairly similar. I don’t let Elon change lanes for me, so the lane keeping and active cruise features seem pretty close. I do like how you can drive “hands free” with the E, but sheesh that eye tracking warning pops up fast. I’d look away to try to change the temperature and it would warn me before I could finish and look back up.

I prefer BLIS and cross traffic warning systems. I think lack of these features was a major miss by Tesla (even with the new camera blind spot)

Charging is definitely in favor of the 3. I regularly hit 250kW in the Tesla; although I haven’t fast-charged the MME it obviously won’t charge as quickly. And of course the charging network.

I definitely appreciate the MME’s auto-liftgate over the manual on the 3. The ambient lighting is more pronounced in the MME.

Build quality seems similar. I think the seat materials are superior in the MME, but the rest of the surfaces are better quality in the 3. Of course aesthetics are subjective. The dial knob in the MME looks cheesy to me, and I hate the way both cars have huge tablets sticking out in the car. I much prefer the way other manufacturers are better integrating the screens.

Quick hits: I’ve always loved Ford’s securikey! I wish the MME had pin to drive so I could leave my keys in the car without worry. MME door “handles” are superior to the awkward handles on the 3. Love how the 3’s side mirrors lower when you reverse. So much more storage in the MME (again apples to oranges).

I'm sure I'm missing something or other, but those are the things that come to mind.

Overall I prefer my 3, although with time we’ll see if the MME grows on me some more. I like both cars and for the price of the MME (after incentives) I think it was a good value.
Love both. Agree with several things. Both so fun and unique. Regarding turns or winding roads the Tesla M3 ER - seems to want to pull outward and away and feels much heavier. MME seems to hug turns better imho. Coming from a BMW x1 ( which beats both btw) the MME is closest to that sporty handling. Also MME definitely has more leg and hip room in the rear seats than M3.
IF you had to pick one BOTH have amazing features and obvious flaws. It comes down to what your priorities are: maybe style, comfort, charging network etc.

Go with your gut.
Sponsored