Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
apparently during development of the Model 3, even Elon Musk didn't actually have any faith in Tesla's ability to survive

https://www.engadget.com/elon-musk-apple-tesla-221149687.html

Elon Musk apparently once tried to sell Tesla to Apple. Replying to a tweet about yesterday’s Reuters report on the Apple’s electric car ambitions, Musk said, “During the darkest days of the Model 3 program, I reached out to Tim Cook to discuss the possibility of Apple acquiring Tesla (for 1/10 of our current value). He refused to take the meeting.” There had been rumors of a Tesla sale to Apple for years, but this is the first time we’ve heard anything definitive from Musk.

(more at source as usual)
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
apparently during development of the Model 3, even Elon Musk didn't actually have any faith in Tesla's ability to survive

https://www.engadget.com/elon-musk-apple-tesla-221149687.html

Elon Musk apparently once tried to sell Tesla to Apple. Replying to a tweet about yesterday’s Reuters report on the Apple’s electric car ambitions, Musk said, “During the darkest days of the Model 3 program, I reached out to Tim Cook to discuss the possibility of Apple acquiring Tesla (for 1/10 of our current value). He refused to take the meeting.” There had been rumors of a Tesla sale to Apple for years, but this is the first time we’ve heard anything definitive from Musk.

(more at source as usual)
I'm not sure statements like this from Musk are much more reliable than rumors.

OP
OP
GoGoGadgetMachE

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
are you saying Musk hasn't been known for his truthfulness and forthrightness? SAY IT ISN'T SO, MARK! SAY IT ISN'T SO!

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I imagine this discussion between Musk and Cook took place when Tesla was days from declaring bankruptcy. This was during the Model 3 ramp up.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
I remember when there were discussions going on, my understanding isn't quite how he portrays it, but Apple got a decent hire(s) out of it. ;)

More interesting now is the path Apple appears to be going down, when you look at the patents they have received in the transportation space.

Elon just had to say something after that rumor that Apple's project was ramping back up (again.)

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 GTPE
Country flag
This news along with Apple dipping their toes into the EV space must be confusing a lot of fanboys...

“Tesla is the new Apple... no wait, Apple is the new Tesla... no no, wait... how do I belittle competition that I’ve spent years praising? My head hurts”

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 GTPE
Country flag
Musk said, “During the darkest days of the Model 3 program, I reached out to Tim Cook to discuss the possibility of Apple acquiring Tesla (for 1/10 of our current value). He refused to take the meeting.”
So darkest Model 3 production dates... Anyone care to speculate? 2017-2019?
Sponsored