First Name
SBJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD SR
Country flag
Yep. Didn't know it was there so I checked:
I have it as well - so there goes that theory.

I too can only have my transponder mounted above into the left of my rearview mirror in the MachE. But that’s a significant improvement from my Highlander which completely blocks all transponders no matter where they are placed!!
Sponsored

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
That is very strange. I can't explain it, but I have used it multiple times with zero issues.
You must the lucky one then. Perhaps there is a difference in the equipment used at your toll stations…not sure. But it’s great if you don’t have any issues.

DonG

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Did you mount it on the windshield on top of the black dots located on either side of the rearview mirror?
So to follow-up, on my 4th trip I held the transponder in the black dot area on the right side of the rearview mirror. IT WORKED! But in the meantime, I ordered a new transponder that will mount on my front license plate. I will be using in the future. I can see some downside, one being that it is possible to steal them. But I really don't like having things stuck on my windshield. I didn't mind so much when it was behind the rearview mirror because I couldn't see it from the driver's seat. But I don't want one mounted in the black dots to the right of the mirror. Too visable.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
So to follow-up, on my 4th trip I held the transponder in the black dot area on the right side of the rearview mirror. IT WORKED! But in the meantime, I ordered a new transponder that will mount on my front license plate. I will be using in the future. I can see some downside, one being that it is possible to steal them. But I really don't like having things stuck on my windshield. I didn't mind so much when it was behind the rearview mirror because I couldn't see it from the driver's seat. But I don't want one mounted in the black dots to the right of the mirror. Too visable.
Mine is positioned to where I cannot see it "behind" the rear view mirror. I forget it is even there.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Used my car with EZ pass over the weekend and realized it was not being read.

after reading this thread I moved it to the right of the rear view mirror on the black dots and it worked just fine

thats for the help everyone

Sylon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Dark Matter Grey Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
I’m in FL, I’ve had my SunPass just sitting on the dash, up behind the mirror & now after reading this thread, up in that black bit to the right of the mirror. I did my normal work commute & it’s been working fine with all 3 locations. So either my windshield doesn’t have the IR issue or Florida’s readers are falling back on my license plates to charge me instead.

But, to be fair, I had a Wrangler before this & with it’s straight up & down windshield I’m not entirely sure if my transponder has ever worked properly lol. I wish they would beep or something.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m in FL, I’ve had my SunPass just sitting on the dash, up behind the mirror & now after reading this thread, up in that black bit to the right of the mirror. I did my normal work commute & it’s been working fine with all 3 locations. So either my windshield doesn’t have the IR issue or Florida’s readers are falling back on my license plates to charge me instead.

But, to be fair, I had a Wrangler before this & with it’s straight up & down windshield I’m not entirely sure if my transponder has ever worked properly lol. I wish they would beep or something.
Sun Pass used to beep but that stopped a while ago. You can check your account and see if any toll is charged immediately. If not that means they will be checking the license plate and toll will be charged a few days later. I believe some of the exit or entrance tolls stations still flash a light if toll is read although maybe I am hallucinating a bit.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E
Country flag
When I put my transponder in the glove compartment of my Mach
When I put my transponder in the glove compartment of my Mach E, it works every single time.

I accidentally discovered a couple of weeks ago that it also works reliably from beneath the front passenger seat.

It always fails when placed on the dashboard or against the front windshield. I haven’t yet tried to stick it to the black-dots area mentioned in several prior posts. But it’s easier to just toss it into the glove box anyway.

The transponder is the big ol’ square form factor.
Good tip! Mine was not working on the clear part of the windshield behind the rear view mirror. It works fine in the glove box. Go figure.

My transponder is a few years old- one of the smaller rectangular ones.

DTy

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mache Premium X
Country flag
If you look closely, you can see the edge of the coating that is plaguing us. I have had good luck once I knew where it was and steered clear. Looking through the 'holes', they appear greener where the coating is present. Get just the right angle and you can see the edge - it invades the black shaded area quite a bit at the bottom corners. I have a NY EzPass and car wash pass up there.

Ford Mustang Mach-E EZ-Pass transponder interference? 20220808_185457

Killerkg

First Name
Kunal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Job 2
Occupation
Finance
Wow, I have had the same issue with my car in VA. Here we have the special HOV transponder which only works when u press the button on it. Now, all this while I am being charged for toll, despite having 3 people in the car (HOV should be free) since they could not read the transponder

DanBGolf

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium, 2019 Escape Titanium
Occupation
GOLFTEC Franchise Owner
Country flag
If you look closely, you can see the edge of the coating that is plaguing us. I have had good luck once I knew where it was and steered clear. Looking through the 'holes', they appear greener where the coating is present. Get just the right angle and you can see the edge - it invades the black shaded area quite a bit at the bottom corners. I have a NY EzPass and car wash pass up there.

Ford Mustang Mach-E EZ-Pass transponder interference? 20220808_185457
I have had an Illinois I-Pass for years that worked fine in my 2013 Fusion and my wife's 2019 Escape. After getting my Mach E in July 2021 I transferred the transponder to my MME and mounted it according to the instructions (front upper windshield approximately 4" below where the windshield meets the frame of the car). Because most of my tolls are via Open Road Tolling, my account got charged but by my license plate. I didn't realize my transponder was not registering until I tried to go through a gated toll both and the gate would not go up...had to pay cash. Your post help me resolve the issue, unfortunately I did not encounter it until I had returned and tried two other transponders.
On a recent trip from Chicago to our home in Chicago, I stopped at the Chicago Southland Lincoln Oasis (I-294/I-80) I-Pass Customer Service Center for some assistance. The gentleman customer service agent tested my transponder in his office and it worked fine. He asked if I had my car here and proceeded to follow me out to my car. I held the transponder in the black dot area shown in your photos, the agent used his tester outside my car and VOILA! it worked! I mounted the transponder in the new location, he tested it again and it worked. I have not had to pay any tolls since then but I am extremely optimistic.
SO, thank you DTy for your helpful post and a special thank you to the I-Pas Customer Service Agent (wish I had gotten his name) for taking that one extra step to confirm success...wish more customer service agents had his commitment to, well, Customer Service. Thank You!!!

DonG

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Either this is A WILD coincidence, or my EZ Pass transponder isn't working in the Mach-e. I drove to the dealer in my old car, EZ pass worked. Traded that on the the Mach-e and EZ pass didn't work on the way home. I had to run up to the dealer the next day and it didn't work. I even put it on a different part of the windshield on the way home.

I still need to try it with a different vehicle, but has anyone used EZ Pass yet?
This is normal with the Mack-E because of the glass used. I found that if I put my EZ pass in certain spots up around the rear view mirror it worked, but I didn't like it there so I ordered the transponder that attaches to the front license plate, which I like better even without the glass issue.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Same issue here in Toronto on the 407 - transponder will not get read properly unless you place it within the "black dots" area. It's even more important with the 407 because if you don't have a transponder or it doesn't get pickup properly they add an extra charge to have your license plate read from the image taken as you drove under the gantry.

Once we figured out exactly where it needed to be positioned it worked every time, but the IR coating really does mess with it.

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
This is normal with the Mack-E because of the glass used. I found that if I put my EZ pass in certain spots up around the rear view mirror it worked, but I didn't like it there so I ordered the transponder that attaches to the front license plate, which I like better even without the glass issue.
Since we are forced to run a front plate in NY, I went with the plate mounted unit and (also) like it way better regardless of the windshield issues.

GlennMacC

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E AWD SR
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
I had this problem also but found that if you install the EZ Pass in the black dotted area of the windshield, it works fine. The IR reflective film is not on the area that is dotted. I actually assumed the opposite and installed the transponder purposefully lower to avoid that area thinking this was where the IR reflective screen was. But no, the opposite is true. So try installing as high on the windshield as possible.

Glenn
Sponsored