EZ-Pass Mounting Location?

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I used to keep my EZ-Pass transponder mounted behind my rear view mirror in my Explorer, which was great because the transponder is quite unsightly and it was great having a spot out of view, so that I did not need to look at it all the time. With the Mach-E, there does not seem to be anywhere on the windshield that it can be placed that would keep it out of view regularly. I am curious if anyone has tried mounting their EZ-Pass transponder on their dash, ideally behind the tablet screen, so that it is out of view there. Has that been tested by anyone and, if so, was it able to be read at toll booths and open road tolling? The picture below shows what I am talking about, but I have not tested...

Ford Mustang Mach-E EZ-Pass Mounting Location? 1615319105916
Sponsored

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
That will be the only spot it will work. The only other option is they should have a license plate bracket that you can add to your front license plate. The entire windshield has that IR coating that is blocking the signal. The only spot without that coating is in the black dotted area.

I confirmed this with our toll tag, and a tag from my work parking garage, and car wash. None of them worked except in the black dotted area.

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That will be the only spot it will work. The only other option is they should have a license plate bracket that you can add to your front license plate. The entire windshield has that IR coating that is blocking the signal. The only spot without that coating is in the black dotted area.

I confirmed this with our toll tag, and a tag from my work parking garage, and car wash. None of them worked except in the black dotted area.
Boo. Thanks. I was afraid of that.

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
NY EZ-Pass has the plate bracket transponders. I think they were initially developed for the GM minvans with the shallowly sloped windshields - my brother had one, traditional transponder did not work. Two issues with these:
1. Easy to steal
2. Easy to become non-functional from weather or getting smacked by shopping cart, snowbank, lowlife, etc.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Yeah, I thought about putting it in that black painted area on the windshield, but the hideous white box of ugliness is still there detracting from the beauty of this car. ? Really hoping there is some way to keep it out of view entirely.
The passenger side black painted area is not entirely out of view, but it's not an area you would normally pay attention to either.

If you're bothered, maybe Put some black tapes on the side toward you?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
NY EZ-Pass has the plate bracket transponders. I think they were initially developed for the GM minvans with the shallowly sloped windshields - my brother had one, traditional transponder did not work. Two issues with these:
1. Easy to steal
2. Easy to become non-functional from weather or getting smacked by shopping cart, snowbank, lowlife, etc.
I never said it was a great solution. Just one of the few solutions. Oklahoma has them as well as they are required for certain tesla's. And we don't have front license plates in Oklahoma. So they expect people to put a bracket on the front of their car just for tolls.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I had a plate transponder and it broke after a year - I think someone backed into it... That or general exposure killed it.
Sponsored