Factory tires performance in snow?

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Ok, so we have conflicting reports. Some say the factory tires are not very good in snow and others say they’re just fine. I guess I can hope for climate change? ?
Most Canadians wouldn't be caught dead in OEM all seasons in winter. AWD or not.

If these are low rolling resistance tires like many EVs have, expect crappy traction and long stopping disatnces even in rain.

You may want to consider a set of after market 18" wheels and downsize your tires for winter.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I now have the 235/55 R19 105H tires from Discount tire. They said that the 225/55/R19 tires are not common, but they agreed to give me $40 per tire for the Primacies. So far I am pleased. They don't seem to be any louder than the original tires. The handle great on dry pavement, it will be wet soon enough.
Did that seem to make the ride any softer? I find the original tires to be awfully firm, and the ride harsher than I'd hoped. More bumps and potholes and jarring felt than expected below 55 MPH. I wondered if 235's might buffer that a little better.

Probably too soon to tell this, but any noticeable drop in mileage?

Any difference in the feel on cornering? That's one real plus with the original tires -- it corners like a champ. But a at the expense of a harsher ride.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Did that seem to make the ride any softer? I find the original tires to be awfully firm, and the ride harsher than I'd hoped. More bumps and potholes and jarring felt than expected below 55 MPH. I wondered if 235's might buffer that a little better.

Probably too soon to tell this, but any noticeable drop in mileage?

Any difference in the feel on cornering? That's one real plus with the original tires -- it corners like a champ. But a at the expense of a harsher ride.
I did not have the original tires on log enough to compare these to, I am more comparing to the tires I had on my Clarity. I am still not getting a realistic range, not near 270 miles so far. There is more bounce over bumps than I would like. Cornering feels solid, no noticeable understeer.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I did not have the original tires on log enough to compare these to, I am more comparing to the tires I had on my Clarity. I am still not getting a realistic range, not near 270 miles so far. There is more bounce over bumps than I would like. Cornering feels solid, no noticeable understeer.
Thanks. I'm sure the bounce is the suspension rather than the tires. It's feeling the jarring from the bumps in the road that I was hoping wider tires might improve. I have dropped the cold PSI to 36 which has helped a little.

The range just varies so much, and is impacted by many factors (especially temps <50F). And the range reported on the small screen is almost always undercounting. I go mostly by the miles/kWh I'm seeing on the trip meters. 3.1 translates to ~270 miles (ER battery). That's basically par. I've gotten as low as 2.3 at 75 MPH at 30F to 5.1 driving 45 MPH at 60F.

A chunk of that is cabin heat use. I have mine on set to 70F all the time, but of course when it was 60F outside it was barely using any juice. While at 30F is was sucking down like 15%.

I sat in the car in my garage yesterday for a good 15 minutes playing with settings and testing USB cables for the phone. When I started the car it was showing 90% and 192 miles. When I turned it off 15 minutes later (using the heater), it showed 89% and 170 miles. The range calculation appears heavily influenced by recent use. Too much so. And too pessimistic.
Sponsored

Last edited: