First Model Year Build Quality

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Right. That’s what I meant. The battery warranty is ultra important for me as a first time EV owner. The rest I can tune/fix/replace myself after the 3 years.
Besides the battery, the EV specific componentry for the Mustang Mach-E is also covered for 8 years. Additionally, the motors are covered for 5 years.

It is sort of a mixed bag compared to Tesla, with some better and some not as good with respect to coverage. Kia and Hyundai have superior warranties, with Hyundai actually offering lifetime unlimited mileage for their batteries for the original owner.

https://www.ford.com/buy-site-wide-content/overlays/mach-e-overlays/mach-e-faq/

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/assurance/america-best-warranty
Sponsored

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
With a lot of longer warranties, it can be a mixed bag if manufactures actually honor it as there is plenty of leeway for them to weasel out of fixing issues.

When it comes to the build quality as long as the plant transfer from fiesta to mach-e goes well I imagine we should be fine, ford are targeting 50k vehicles for the first year which is nothing so there should be less chance of friday afternoon cars getting past quality control.

A friend has a fiesta st that came out of the same plant and there are no glaring build quality issues on it, not exactly a large product sample but every time I take a focus in for service I always have a wander around the lot and have a nose.

From my rather limited sample of looking a vehicles on the lot if it has come out of flat rock (mustang) or the chicago assembly plant (new explorer) the quality control is a bit not existent :( mechanically they may be fine but miss aligned panels don't fill one with confidence, so was not surprised the see months later all the problems the new explorer was having.

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
That was part of the reason I am buying the Mach-E over the model Y, my nearest EV-certified Ford dealer is about 10 minutes away while my nearest Tesla service center is 1 hr+. Here's to hoping that the first models have minor quirks!
That is exactly why I would steer you away from Tesla. I am planning on getting rid of mine soon for terrible service experiences. I no longer recommend Tesla because they have many issues. Certainly not maintenance proof.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I've owned a first model year

* Kia Soul -- the fit and finish was great (for a Soul), and I never encountered any major issues, although I would say it definitely had "quirks" which the later refresh changed / improved. One of the "quirks" was the infamous "gas mileage gate" .. this thing was a pig that never got close to the spec'ed MPG.

* Honda Pilot -- same here, fit and finish are great. Also same story that there are "quirks" that, again, were changed / improved on the first refresh.

I don't "regret" either of them, I bought them cause I liked them as they were. I'm going into the Mach E eyes wide open ... this is the first of something that, at the least, is going to have "quirks" that likely will only be fixed / changed / improved at a later refresh. At the worst, there maybe some recalls or other fixes, this is normal and par for the course for any first year vehicle.

With that open-minded-ness out there nothwithstanding, I am holding hope that Ford "really means it" with this whole Team Edison concept, and they'll really invest into making this thing right, if not right out of the gate, then very soon after.

I guess, time will tell!
Sponsored