First New Car Order ever.

Zapata

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e, replacing a 1999 Chevy Metro LOL!
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
All my life I bought used ICE cars and prided myself on keeping old cars on the road to the point where I would personally rebuild their engines... so ordering a new car is a big change. Last month one of my older cars stranded me an hour away from home because the clutch cable broke. Even though it might have been one of the few parts I wasn't thinking would be an issue I can see something like that happening again now that it's over 20 years old. Looking at how much Emissions controls are on newer vehicles I just don't see ICE powertrains being a good option for me anymore, not even considering the environmental issues they pose.

I've built 50MPH electric bicycles so I know the performance and range new EV's are capable of. Plus maintenance is minimal compared to ICE. Usually it was the low quality RC LIPO batteries that caused the most grief with my 'sleeper' bicycle. The electric motor and associated electronics, have been solid as a rock.

So I'm really anxious to get the Mach e. It just beat out the Tesla Model 3 because, the tax credit, and when I tried to find a Tesla service station in my area I was sent to their call center and couldn't get a direct line to the new Tesla service center in my city.

Ordered the Mach e California with AWD because, in Idaho, I need as much range and stability in bad road conditions as possible. Order date is 10/6/21 and my local Ford dealer confirmed it, but I see the chip shortage is reaping havoc on manufacturers. Hope I can get my new car by April 2022!
Sponsored

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Order date is 10/6/21 and my local Ford dealer confirmed it, but I see the chip shortage is reaping havoc on manufacturers. Hope I can get my new car by April 2022!
Honestly, don't "expect" the car before summer 2022... my personal guess is July/August 2022.

Usually it was the low quality RC LIPO batteries that caused the most grief with my 'sleeper' bicycle.
Quality LiPos can last a decent time (up to 500 cycles) but they do not tolerate high discharge or or use at low-voltage. Once they are damaged (puffed - due to the previous reasons) there is no fix.

OP
OP
Zapata

Zapata

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Honestly, don't "expect" the car before summer 2022... my personal guess is July/August 2022.

Quality LiPos can last a decent time (up to 500 cycles) but they do not tolerate high discharge or or use at low-voltage. Once they are damaged (puffed - due to the previous reasons) there is no fix.
Yeah, well, I was on the waiting list for the F150 Lightning so Aug 22 is probably better than sometime in 2023. LOL

Just pulled one of my Turnigy 20000mAh 22.2V LIPOs out of storage only to find one of the cells is shot. Paid a lot of money for that battery. Luckily I made sure to buy a spare just in case. I'll probably take the bad battery apart as spares. With EV bikes we usually are only pulling 2-3C nothing that would test the discharge capacity of LIPO and I always kept the cells from over discharge. Just poor quality and few options IMO.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, well, I was on the waiting list for the F150 Lightning so Aug 22 is probably better than sometime in 2023. LOL

Just pulled one of my Turnigy 20000mAh 22.2V LIPOs out of storage only to find one of the cells is shot. Paid a lot of money for that battery. Luckily I made sure to buy a spare just in case. I'll probably take the bad battery apart as spares. With EV bikes we usually are only pulling 2-3C nothing that would test the discharge capacity of LIPO and I always kept the cells from over discharge. Just poor quality and few options IMO.
Turnigy LiPOs are crap. What you are paying for is the QC process. High quality LiPos have their cells checked for balance/IR so they are all matched. I personally don't remove dead cells but friends do (so your 6s becomes 5s). It can be a bit dangerous. If you are pulling only 2C/3C... then you should think about Li-ion (what EVs like the Mach-E use). Buy yourself a bunch of vape 18650 batteries and "string" them together. Essentially that's what the old Teslas were like... lol

In the future, I would love to be able to replace Mach-E bad cells. Entire batteries usually don't die at once... it's usually a few problematic cells. I don't know if regular folk like us have the tools... we all need lifts with a large battery tray. You can't just easily remove a module of cells.

OP
OP
Zapata

Zapata

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
My Build Date is scheduled for 12/6/21! Wow I thought it would be months before I saw an update!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Interesting how you got a build date 2 months out. Others waiting many more.

OP
OP
Zapata

Zapata

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
OP
OP
Zapata

Zapata

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
My build date just got moved back to the first week of 2022. Cue sad horn sound.

jbirdzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Those CA Rt1 trims seem to be getting scheduled really fast compared to the Premium/GT, as a few others have gotten production dates from October orders as well. The Ford website shows an 8wk LT differential (20 vs 28weeks) between those - so you are already off to a better start than many of us!

OP
OP
Zapata

Zapata

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Finally received my Mach e on the 17th of May 2022. Only a 7+ month wait. At least I was able to get the RT1 before Ford discontinued it.
Sponsored