TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Here's a Feb 13 article from Forbes Mexico (translated through Chrome)...

Ford's Mustang, Mach E, electric model will begin to be manufactured at the Cuautitlan plant during the second half of 2020, sources from the automaker in Mexico said.

“This year, towards the second half of the year, and by the end of the year it will be available. Right now at the plant we are about to begin the prototype phase, the manufacturing plant has already been tooling, ”said Marcos Pérez, director of product development for Ford Mexico.

Interviewed after his participation in the Latam Mobility Summit 2020, the manager explained that the location of the battery in the vehicle allows stability, since it is located at the base and weighs about 600 kilograms.

https://www.forbes.com.mx/mustang-e...cirse-la-segunda-mitad-de-2019-en-cuautitlan/
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Here's another that seems to contradict the timing...

Ford's first electric crossover, the Mustang Mach e, already poses live from the Cuautitlán Izcalli plant that will manufacture it for everyone.

These images show the Mustang Mach e parked at the plant that Ford has in the State of Mexico and that, after a reconversion work last year, stopped manufacturing the Fiesta to produce a car that will mark a before and after for the blue oval mark.

The Mustang Mach e is controversial for many reasons. The first and most relevant may be for being the first Mustang in more than 50 years of history with more than two doors and as if that were not enough, it is a truck, consistent with Ford's strategy of giving up regular cars in North America to focus in SUVs, crossovers and pick-ups.

To top it off, it does not use gasoline, since the Mustang Mach e that will be manufactured in Cuautitlán is the first electric car of the new Ford era, manufactured on a special platform for EVs.

The most powerful versions, in the form of the Mustang Mach e GT will have 459 hp and can accelerate to 100 km / h in less than 4 seconds, with versions of rear-wheel drive or integral and with powers ranging from 255 hp. The maximum autonomy is 483 km when the widest battery of 98.8 kWh is chosen with the subsequent propulsion scheme.

The new Mustang Mach e will begin selling in the United States shortly from the plant in Cuautitlán, and in Mexico we expect to have it on sale a little later, towards the end of 2020.

https://soloautos.mx/noticias/detalle/la-mustang-mach-e-cuautitlan/ED-LATAM-20381/

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I don't see any contradictions between those two articles. Production in the latter half of 2020, begin selling in the US "shortly". Sure. These are consistent with what we've been hearing.

They need to train and test employees on the assembly line. These are prototypes, not production run. However, it is still exciting to see they are progressing well.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't see any contradictions between those two articles. Production in the latter half of 2020, begin selling in the US "shortly". Sure. These are consistent with what we've been hearing.

They need to train and test employees on the assembly line. These are prototypes, not production run. However, it is still exciting to see they are progressing well.
"shortly" seemed to imply much more quickly, especially in relation to the "toward the end of 2020" for Mexico sales (which has pretty much been stated for ANY sales).

But it's also translated from Spanish, so I guess some nuance could have gotten lost in translation. ?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
"shortly" seemed to imply much more quickly, especially in relation to the "toward the end of 2020" for Mexico sales (which has pretty much been stated for ANY sales).

But it's also translated from Spanish, so I guess some nuance could have gotten lost in translation. ?
He used the phrase "en breve proveniente". It's like when they say "Coming Soon" at the end of a movie trailer.

Ted Hanky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Outlander
Country flag
I wonder if those pictures show the 18 or 19 inch wheels. I go for the RWD but am in doubt to choose for a technology pack or for 19 inch wheels.

Another question, has anyone seen the Mach E in black. It is the cheapest color but with nice wheels might not be bad.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I wonder if those pictures show the 18 or 19 inch wheels. I go for the RWD but am in doubt to choose for a technology pack or for 19 inch wheels.

Another question, has anyone seen the Mach E in black. It is the cheapest color but with nice wheels might not be bad.
That looks like the premium edition with the standard premium wheels, which are 19".

Ted Hanky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Outlander
Country flag
I am not so sure since they look the same as the ones on the presentation in Holland. Those were 18 inch, I checked them.

IMG_20200118_155843.jpg

Ted Hanky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Outlander
Country flag
Looks like the mix the designs with the wheels since this red version was also not the standard version

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
A correction. That Forbes article states on 13 Feb. “Right now at the plant we are about to begin the prototype phase, the manufacturing plant has already been tooling, ”said Marcos Pérez, director of product development for Ford Mexico.
That suggests the Iconic Silver sitting outside the plant may not have been produced on the assembly line.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
These are prototypes, not production run.
Porque no los dos?

Could be a first example prototype off the production line. Every previous unit we've seen at autoshows and dealer events, the Ford staff has emphasized they're handbuilt prototypes and not to get too worked up about the interiors, fit & finish.

I'm really keen to know what the production interior looks like and if there are any changes.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
The front license plate holder doesn't look right on the car. I hope they ship without it installed so we can attach below the grill.
It’s got to be right, Any lower and it’d
be over the shutters. But I can’t say I’m thrilled about it.
Sponsored