Ford…unbelievable A Master Reset after getting in the car.....

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Something doesn't sound right. Obviously this isn't a PaaK issue since PaaK isn't to blame. That's like blaming the key fob for a bad battery.

I would change the title to the fact that a master reset was performed.

Next step, find out who reset it. I don't think this can be done remotely from Ford, but that's something you need to take up with them.
Agreed. They said Ford Engineering would look into it. I did not hit the master reset button for certain! The key was it happened when I got into the car....That's the strange part. I wonder with the recent FP update, if there is a secret spot or invisible button on the home FP phone screen that "master resets" the car. one click and gone. That's about all I can think of, or there is a secret algorithm that triggers with so many door opens and closes,....Master Reset....lol..
Sponsored

Last edited:

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I wonder with the recent FP update, if there is a secret spot or invisible button on the home FP phone screen that "master resets" the car. one click and gone. That's about all I can think of, or there is a secret algorithm that triggers with so many door opens and closes,.
I understand you are frustrated but wild unsubstantiated uninformed speculation isn’t helpful. Posts like yours end up as headlines on insideEVs & as false claims circulating endlessly round the internet.

JcMarin

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GT, Mustang EcoBoost, F-Type
Occupation
Telecom
Country flag
This kinda happened to me as well although not sure when since I was away for a couple of weeks. When I got back 3 days ago PaaK was not working at all, tried hard closing the app, reboot the phone, disabled/enabled bluetooth, but nothing.

The door and startup password DID work do, thats how I got it running without a keyfob at hand

Finally I removed the FordPass app and re-installed and then it showed the Activate PaaK. I reset the PaaK on the car and had it provisioned again all over. its working now (and previous to this it had been working fine for 4 months)

The PaaK master reset happened to me back 5 months ago btw. out of the blue I saw a message that there was a master reset and PaaK was gone (message on the FordPass app). Nothing I had initiated or done myself on the car.

Last edited:

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Something doesn't sound right. Obviously this isn't a PaaK issue since PaaK isn't to blame. That's like blaming the key fob for a bad battery.

I would change the title to the fact that a master reset was performed.

Next step, find out who reset it. I don't think this can be done remotely from Ford, but that's something you need to take up with them.
I agree. Based on my experience with PAAK, FordPass, and Master Reset my gut is telling me that while trying to troubleshoot a "key not detected" error the master reset was performed in trying to do a sync reset.

@Nklem, I mean no offense to you in this assumption. This is simply based on my experience and having seen posts where Ford had someone do a Master Reset knowing they didn't have their fob available. I just don't see how the master reset could have been performed any way but manually from the sync screen. If this is not the case, then definitely take this up with Ford because that is a major concern if this can happen remotely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I understand you are frustrated but wild unsubstantiated uninformed speculation isn’t helpful. Posts like yours end up as headlines on insideEVs & as false claims circulating endlessly round the internet.
Certainly we cannot speculate on the internet or have wild theories even in humor (LOL) . Only true facts.

I am sure Ford will respond with a what happened (we know they will not).

I only posted this as a caution to others. You may want to carry a fob. Their "might" be a FordPass bug or other issue brewing.

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I agree. Based on my experience with PAAK, FordPass, and Master Reset my gut is telling me that in trying to troubleshoot a "key not found" error the master reset was performed in trying to do a sync reset.

@Nklem, I mean no offense to you in this assumption. This is simply based on my experience and having seen posts where Ford had someone do a Master Reset knowing they didn't have their fob available. I just don't see how the master reset could have been performed any way but manually from the sync screen. If this is not the case, then definitely take this up with Ford because that is a major concern if this can happen remotely.
I agree. You can only do a master reset from the sync screen. I did it on my Job 1 select before I sold it.

I used PAAK to open the door. . When in the car, I placed the phone in the cradle, I put my foot on the brake, I pressed the Start Button, the car started (or I thought), Carplay came on the screen, music from the radio played . I then looked down at my phone (I had set a timer for a Lunch Pickup) and it showed the Fordpass screen prints I made "empty garage", "activate your vehicle" and then got the ding and "key not found", image above on the screen. I picked up the phone, closed FP and restarted it to see if it was a fluke. Same screen appeared no vehicles, empty garage. . I could not shift into gear. Carplay stayed on the big screen and my music kept playing with climate grayed out below . I hit the start button to shut it off and tried again, Carplay remained, music and the "key not found" appeared on the screen again. I said to myself, I guess PAAK is not going to work, I would just wait for the "passcode" screen to appear, and I thought I would be on my way. I waited about 2-3 minutes while the radio kept playing. "passcode" did not appear. I then pressed the car menu (upper left) on the big screen, and pressed "Settings", trying to find anything related to the "passcode". All settings, menu items were completely grayed out. I could not do anything but see the grayed out items and close the menu. I did not even bother looking for anything "passcode" related. That's when I was chatting with Ford and they said a Master Reset occurred. I sat for about another 5-10 mins the screen went black and the music died (timed out with no key) and just "key not found" was displayed. I never touched the settings menu items, or got to the "master reset" screen. It was all inactive.. .

The Mrs brought my Fob about 30 minutes later, I opened Fordpass and it now showed a button to Activate or Re-activate (I do not remember which) my Vehicle, I re-activated it and it all came back, except PAAK which I had to run through the settings again. The only casualty were my charge location settings. I will have to set all of those up again. My trip meter settings, Trip 1, since new....remained.

Last edited:

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I agree. You can only do a master reset from the sync screen. I did it on my Job 1 select before I sold it.

I used PAAK to open the door. When in the car, I placed the phone in the cradle, I put my foot on the brake, I pressed the Start Button, the car started (or I thought), Carplay came on the screen, music from the radio played . I then looked down at my phone (I had set a timer for a Lunch Pickup) and it showed the Fordpass screen prints I made "empty garage", "activate your vehicle" and then got the ding and "key not found", image above on the screen. I could not shift into gear. Carplay stayed on the big screen and my music kept playing with climate grayed out below . I hit the start button to shut it off and tried again, Carplay remained, music and the "key not found" appeared on the screen again. I said to myself, I guess PAAK is not going to work, I would just wait for the "passcode" screen to appear, and I thought would be on my way. I waited about 2-3 minutes while the radio kept playing. "passcode" did not appear. I then pressed the car menu (upper left) on the big screen, and pressed "Settings", trying to find anything related to the "passcode". All settings, menu items were completely grayed out. I could not do anything but see the grayed out items and close the menu. I did not even bother looking for anything "passcode" related. That's when I was chatting with Ford and they said a Master Reset occurred. I sat for about another 5-10 mins the screen went black and the music died (timed out with no key) and just "key not found" was displayed. I never touched the settings menu items, or got to the "master reset" screen. It was all inactive.. .

Based on the images posted and your comments, the only thing which suggests a master reset was performed is the response from Ford (granted there is also the e-mail). You wouldn't be able to get into the menus if the key wasn't detected. Have you received the fob and seen what happens? Have you tried a sync reset?

I recall that you had the same issue earlier in the week with FordPass not showing the activated vehicle. When it happened then, how did you resolve the issue? Force close?

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Stories like this are why I always carry the fob with me and use the PAAK as a backup or second option. I do occasionally use it to open the frunk as I walk up to the car (usually to put take out in it) and sometimes to open or close the windows when parked. I look at it as I have other keys with me most of the time so what is one more key to prevent everything described here. Also by having the fob with me I have something to give to the tow driver when my HVBJB goes out again and I am not scrambling to go home to pick up the fob for the dealer to use 🤣

JcMarin

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GT, Mustang EcoBoost, F-Type
Occupation
Telecom
Country flag
" my gut is telling me that while trying to troubleshoot a "key not detected" error the master reset was performed in trying to do a sync reset. I mean no offense to you in this assumption. "
Dude, you sound like the FordPass agent I spent 2 hours on the phone going over why a Master reset happened on my Car and trying to explain that it was NOT initiated by me :mad:

I also have performed a Master Reset on my Car (3 weeks before it happened by its own to troubleshoot the PaaK), then 3 weeks later when PaaK was working it happened on its own.

So maybe a bug on a previous request on a queue on their servers but something reset the car without me starting it (at that time)

In the latest incident in my case there was no master reset, just PaaK stopped working and after removing the FordPass app and re-installing it asked to setup again (guess it makes sense that key was remove with the app), I reset the PaaK on Car -not master- to do it

I love Paak and after initial problems and besides this instance I have had no problems with it and I don't use the key-fob unless I'm leaving the car to drive by someone else (valet, dealership)

Now my car has had other issues (HVJB and now message for Powertrain Malfunction), so my experience may be unique with issues with my Car, but please don't assume the OP does not know what he experienced or did or did not did.

Btw. I'm offended by proxy :p

Last edited:

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Did any of you who had this "phantom" master reset reach out to Ford Support before this happened (days, weeks etc) about an issue that they might have queued a reset for, or pushed the case to someone who initiated a reset? Or have you posted your VIN on the forum publicly?

If Ford does have the ability to do this remotely I would certainly hope that they are verifying the authenticity of the caller to ensure some random person with a VIN isn't calling to reset systems. Also, would hope that they are trained to understand that people use PaaK and don't always have a FOB.

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<SNIP>
This is simply based on my experience and having seen posts where Ford had someone do a Master Reset knowing they didn't have their fob available.
LOL this would be me. I told the guy multiple times that I didn’t have a key and only the phone. “Just do it,” was his response. @Ford Motor Company won’t reimburse me for the cab ride home and back. 🤬🐩

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
This kinda happened to me as well although not sure when since I was away for a couple of weeks. When I got back 3 days ago PaaK was not working at all, tried hard closing the app, reboot the phone, disabled/enabled bluetooth, but nothing.

The door and startup password DID work do, thats how I got it running without a keyfob at hand

Finally I removed the FordPass app and re-installed and then it showed the Activate PaaK. I reset the PaaK on the car and had it provisioned again all over. its working now (and previous to this it had been working fine for 4 months)

The PaaK master reset happened to me back 5 months ago btw. out of the blue I saw a message that there was a master reset and PaaK was gone (message on the FordPass app). Nothing I had initiated or done myself on the car.
if the door key and password worked... whatever it was, it wasn't a master reset.

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Based on the images posted and your comments, the only thing which suggests a master reset was performed is the response from Ford (granted there is also the e-mail). You wouldn't be able to get into the menus if the key wasn't detected. Have you received the fob and seen what happens? Have you tried a sync reset?

I recall that you had the same issue earlier in the week with FordPass not showing the activated vehicle. When it happened then, how did you resolve the issue? Force close?
Yes, when the new FordPass update came out, I upgraded at work. it worked going to lunch and when leaving the store, I got the “key not found“ when I tried to depart.. The Passcode immediately popped up, I used the passcode and when I got back to work, I forced FordPass closed and restarted it, (as recommended here)and PAAK came back. I used it to home from work, I do not carry a Fob, and in the morning to work. This new adventure happened at lunch time again. I guess I should bring my own lunch….lol.
Sponsored