DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I just read some more on the Toyota battery. Seems like they are having trouble with the anode exapansion. They have an ETA for production of 2025. SP is looking to start selling its ASSB’s in 2021. But automotive versions not until 2026. I really think first to market is going to have a big advantage. So SP might have to love you their timeline if they want to won’t this fight. Not sure about QS and Samsung. I think it is a tight race. Toyota has the backing of the Japanese government, which is about $19 billion.
Thanks for the info. It seems that everyone is aiming for 2025. Even the Koreans but that date is more for prototype cells than production cells.

I'm not so sure that this will end up being quite as revolutionary as it seems at the moment. That's because the existing technology continues to improve at a fairly rapid pace. By 2025 pack costs might be under $100/kWh. No doubt solid state batteries will win out, they have too many advantages, but they may end up being evolutionary rather than revolutionary. At some point all these technological improvements will come together and there will be one heck of a battery! Just will take longer than you'd like.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just read some more on the Toyota battery. Seems like they are having trouble with the anode exapansion. They have an ETA for production of 2025. SP is looking to start selling its ASSB’s in 2021. But automotive versions not until 2026. I really think first to market is going to have a big advantage. So SP might have to love you their timeline if they want to won’t this fight. Not sure about QS and Samsung. I think it is a tight race. Toyota has the backing of the Japanese government, which is about $19 billion.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyota-solid-state-battery-ev-2021/
First to market can have a temporary advantage, if they get it right. But that's a big "if". The road to advancement is littered with failed attempts. There's so many research "breakthroughs" that sound like game-changers in the early phases that end up having associated problems when they try to adapt it for practical applications.

Even if they get it right and get an initial boost from it, the competition will catch up fast. Ultimately it's just a battery. Batteries are crucial, of course, but it's pretty easy to adapt new batteries to the car.