Ford Hires Apple Veteran Peter Stern To Lead New Era Of Customer Experiences Powered By Software And Services

Deleted member 16048

I think this really shows that Ford has an Apple first mindset and wants to follow their philosophy of user experience. I fully expect to see an announcement of CarPlay 2nd generation vehicles coming soon.

As for this announcement, I see it helping the whole customer experience from the App to vehicle. Make things simpler and more intuitive. Pricing included with those changes.
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
How about they replace the service advisor counters with genius bars? They could be over video if no local geniuses are available.

On a scale of 1 (completely kidding) to 10 (utterly serious) this comment is a 6.
I've maintained for a few years now, that Ford needs an equivalent to "genius bars" to assist customers with the use of their vehicles and associated services, and to help with level 1 troubleshooting. I think that's what they intended with the "Ford Guides" concept, but it doesn't appear to have worked.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
Well, this might help Ford do better on their software. Of course, now we know why the cost for BlueCruise subscription is so costly, they have to account for high cost management. I sure it took some serious money to have him leave Apple.

jeffMachE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, XC60, RR Prem Ex4 (rcvd 11/21)
Country flag
I've maintained for a few years now, that Ford needs an equivalent to "genius bars" to assist customers with the use of their vehicles and associated services, and to help with level 1 troubleshooting. I think that's what they intended with the "Ford Guides" concept, but it doesn't appear to have worked.
The big fly in the ointment of this ^^^ idea is the Dealer Network. Ford is trying to develop direct relations with the purchasers of its vehicles (hardware), a la the Apple model. But as long as the franchise laws exist in every state (and defended fiercely by the Dealers advocacy groups), Ford's actual customers are the Dealers, not us. Ford doesn't sell, and in fact is not allowed to sell, any vehicle directly to the end-user.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Not surprising, it's what companies are making money on now, services and advertising. Try buying a TV that doesn't have ads on it. I've got a $2500 LG OLED that is filled with that crap.

When the market asks for bigger profits and growth every year, this is what you get. Capitalism, it is what it is.
Yeah, I saw that on my OLED and immediately connected a PC to it. Problem solved. Streaming being the way it is today has me flying the black flag. Increased speeds and zero adverts / commercials is a must. Life's too short to have one's time wasted on an advert for shit I don't need.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The big fly in the ointment of this ^^^ idea is the Dealer Network. Ford is trying to develop direct relations with the purchasers of its vehicles (hardware), a la the Apple model. But as long as the franchise laws exist in every state (and defended fiercely by the Dealers advocacy groups), Ford's actual customers are the Dealers, not us. Ford doesn't sell, and in fact is not allowed to sell, any vehicle directly to the end-user.
Iā€™ve also maintained that dealers can be leveraged as a strategic advantage. Think of them as a ā€œforce multiplierā€ for Ford.

jeffMachE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, XC60, RR Prem Ex4 (rcvd 11/21)
Country flag
Iā€™ve also maintained that dealers can be leveraged as a strategic advantage. Think of them as a ā€œforce multiplierā€ for Ford.
Yes, this could theoretically happen. But historically the dealers banded together to exert a counter-influence over the OEM's (e.g. they banded together so they wouldn't get steamrolled). Across decades of this behavior, the natural reaction of the dealers is to look at what the OEM's do with suspicion. And when an OEM tries to go directly to the end user, whom the dealers, generally, view as their customers, not the OEM's customers, the level of suspicion turns into a direct threat. This struggle between the OEM's and the Dealers over the end-users has not typically produced great results for the end-users.

curtisfinney

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo V60, Subaru Forestor, 2023 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Country flag
I'm sure Stern understands team and infrastructure building, so hopefully the quality of the output from Ford improves (in however many months it'll take before we see any changes as result of a new mucky-muck.).

But, all of Apple's services have multiple direct competitors, which impacts features and pricing.

We're locked in to what Ford offers. It's not like we could install SuperCruise or FSD if we don't like Ford's offerings or price.
Agree that we are locked in, but itā€™s in Fordā€™s best interest to not make owning a Ford a terrible experience. No one is going to buy new cars if they were to develop a horrible reputation.

curtisfinney

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo V60, Subaru Forestor, 2023 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Country flag
Agree, this is the biggest challenge and Iā€™m not confident the dealers will be willing to do the right thing. I want a seamless customer experience from Ford.

At the end of the day Iā€™m a Ford customer first. The dealer is just my middle person. I can easily find another dealer if they donā€™t understand their place.

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
Didn't Ford hire some Apple guy last year who was supposed to do just this? Fired, quit or buried into some nowhere job now? So, we are at Apple guy 2.0 now?

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
I'd be happy with a "genius bar" to help their dealers and techs. This is clearly needed ASAP.

jgcom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X premium, '21
Occupation
Physics prof.
Country flag
I donā€™t think so. I just replaced the TV in my kitchen with an LG for <$150. It is a ā€œsmartā€ TV. I donā€™t use the ā€œsmartā€ features so I am not subjected to their adware. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©
It sometimes helps if, when you first turn on the panel, you say no to every question, never agreeing to terms and conditions. Also, never give the darn thing your wifi password, instead running OS updates with a wire to the router. Then you yank that wire, only allowing network to the devices you want to drive the panel.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yes, this could theoretically happen. But historically the dealers banded together to exert a counter-influence over the OEM's (e.g. they banded together so they wouldn't get steamrolled). Across decades of this behavior, the natural reaction of the dealers is to look at what the OEM's do with suspicion. And when an OEM tries to go directly to the end user, whom the dealers, generally, view as their customers, not the OEM's customers, the level of suspicion turns into a direct threat. This struggle between the OEM's and the Dealers over the end-users has not typically produced great results for the end-users.
Well, perhaps the position of the dealers has to change then?