Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
So, on my morning commute (when I deign to make an appearance at the office) I use the navigation system to look at traffic. There are occasional stupid suggestions the navigation system makes. Particularly, it tells me to exit I-76 at route 1 and get right back on. If I were to “obey” the navigation system, the travel distance would be “longer” and it would take more time. It also involves traversing a challenging cut across multiple traffic lanes from an off ramp right back to an on ramp. And other egregious examples that Ford should fix? See below:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Navigation Makes Stupid Recommendations 3E194CF8-3307-427B-901C-C1C29320E632
Sponsored

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
So, on my morning commute (when I deign to make an appearance at the office) I use the navigation system to look at traffic. There are occasional stupid suggestions the navigation system makes. Particularly, it tells me to exit I-76 at route 1 and get right back on. If I were to “obey” the navigation system, the travel distance would be “longer” and it would take more time. It also involves traversing a challenging cut across multiple traffic lanes from an off ramp right back to an on ramp. And other egregious examples that Ford should fix? See below:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Navigation Makes Stupid Recommendations 3E194CF8-3307-427B-901C-C1C29320E632
Yup its not just ford Nav but I have seen other vehicle based Navs do this - at least on the Mach E teh screen is big enough that you can see what it is doing. Rarely, but some times seen goodle /apple maps do this too but rare compared to vehicle maps. Dont get that logic. And yes I fell a few times for these detours as I could not see what its doing especially if I am not familiar with the area.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yup its not just ford Nav but I have seen other vehicle based Navs do this - at least on the Mach E teh screen is big enough that you can see what it is doing. Rarely, but some times seen goodle /apple maps do this too but rare compared to vehicle maps. Dont get that logic. And yes I fell a few times for these detours as I could not see what its doing especially if I am not familiar with the area.
In fairness, my old escape’s nav would also push that “shortcut” ?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I’ve had Waze and Google maps both recommend that sort of maneuver. They even comment “1 minute faster.” Probably true.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
They get their map data from Here, like 80% of other cars. I can't figure out why, their data is awful. I've been trying to clean up a few areas I run into. Maybe there is some weird road missing or a gap in the data there. I believe the routing engine comes from Garmin.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
They get their map data from Here, like 80% of other cars. I can't figure out why, their data is awful. I've been trying to clean up a few areas I run into. Maybe there is some weird road missing or a gap in the data there. I believe the routing engine comes from Garmin.
Here is really awful - FP uses it and it always shows my address as a house two streets away in FP maps. Sync Nav is just fine with my location but not sync'd with Here on FP.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Are you missing a link? Where do they get mapping data from?

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Errr
Google Maps?
It’s like 1000 times better. It’s a fully cooked and baked navigation and traffic system …give it a drive

This isn’t like that movie if you build it they will come ….you don’t have to use the crappy ass nav…

jes sayin

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I tried using Ford Nav for the first half of my road trip. It can be extremely stubborn and irritating by constantly advising to make u turns before it finally figures out that you want to take a different route! Switched over to Apple Maps for the 2nd half of the trip and haven’t gone back since!

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Errr
Google Maps?
It’s like 1000 times better. It’s a fully cooked and baked navigation and traffic system …give it a drive

This isn’t like that movie if you build it they will come ….you don’t have to use the crappy ass nav…

jes sayin
I do not need Google stalking me. If I’m really desperate, I still see Rand-McNally Road Atlases for sale ?

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
I used to think Jeeves was after me as well. And I barely ever asked him anything…….. There’s no doubt Ronald McDonald is stalking me …..that app knows when I’m at the restaurant so pretty obvious Ron…..
Jes sayin

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I used to think Jeeves was after me as well. And I barely ever asked him anything…….. There’s no doubt Ronald McDonald is stalking me …..that app knows when I’m at the restaurant so pretty obvious Ron…..
Jes sayin
But did you Ask Jeeves if he was stalking you?
And let’s not forget about the nefarious AltaVista ?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The GPS is kind of weird. There was a day that I used it to navigate home from a place with which I was unfamiliar. I usually turn the navigation system off when I get somewhere familia, but I did not this one time. When I pulled into my driveway, my current location was displayed as my back neighbor’s address. ???

When I was taking my dog (RIP) for chemo, the stupid navigation system kept telling me to get into the Express lanes. I guess the navigation system wants to make money for CalTrans. ???
Sponsored