FordPower-Up 1.7.1 followed by Stop Safely Now.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
How are you measuring the voltage while driving? Am I missing a built-in vehicle capability or are you attaching a device to the OBD port to measure it?
Plug in meter. I have found these to be helpful over the years. Here in AZ we have a saying......"Batteries die during the summer but we don't find out about it until the winter arrives"

These plug in meters can sometimes give me a few weeks warning before I am stranded somewhere. No guarantee....just a tool.

20211117_073702.jpg

20211117_073537.jpg

20211117_073607.jpg

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I drove a couple hundred miles today and your assumption pans out. I saw 14.4v at first start up. Then a short distance into my trip I noticed it dropped down to 13.4 and soon after 12.9 where it remained for the remainder of the travel day. I visited several different places and after each stop and re-start the voltage reading started at 14.4v for a few seconds and then dropped to the lower number. I presume the lowest settings of 12.9v is enough to keep the system maintained while driving unless the headlights are on then it jumps to 14.4. Again....all that makes sense to me.

So, at this point......since I have yet to have any other symptoms of any kind.....I think the 3 different voltage readings are normal for this car. The vehicle determines what voltage is needed for the LVB circuit and applies one of the 3 settings as appropriate.

Ambient temp does NOT appear to affect the charge level requested by the computers.

Of course I will continue to monitor though.....
By ambient, not the running current of the modules, but I do think MME LVB current does increase, just like when you turn the headlights on. For example, seat heat, steering, wheel heat, defrosters, wipers, etc. The headlights are still probably more than those extra loads, but those extra loads do increase the total 12V current, somewhat more so in winter.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
By ambient, not the running current of the modules, but I do think MME LVB current does increase, just like when you turn the headlights on. For example, seat heat, steering, wheel heat, defrosters, wipers, etc. The headlights are still probably more than those extra loads, but those extra loads do increase the total 12V current, somewhat more so in winter.
Makes sense. If I play around with the scanner enough I can probably figure out what the signal is that activates the DC-DC converter and at what level. First guess is a PWM signal since it appears there are 3 different charge levels.

A common method used in other Ford vehicles is a look up map table populated by data from several different modules and/or sensors. That plots to a value in the map table which then can be converted to a PWM signal read by the DC-DC module to activate.

Just a guess though. I haven't looked at this portion of the calibrations at all so I am very much in the dark still. Wish I had more time to investigate....

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Makes sense. If I play around with the scanner enough I can probably figure out what the signal is that activates the DC-DC converter and at what level. First guess is a PWM signal since it appears there are 3 different charge levels.

A common method used in other Ford vehicles is a look up map table populated by data from several different modules and/or sensors. That plots to a value in the map table which then can be converted to a PWM signal read by the DC-DC module to activate.
I guess the % SOC of the low-voltage battery is important (it can be read with obd2 dongle).

In most Ford ICE vehicles the charging voltage is related to 12V battery temperature (higher voltage when battery is cold), but I cannot find this parameter in Car Scanner.

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Going to pick up a meter Monday if I can find one for sure. And hopefully show what @SnBGC sent me in a message to my dealer and try to get them to update software.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Going to pick up a meter Monday if I can find one for sure. And hopefully show what @SnBGC sent me in a message to my dealer and try to get them to update software.
Let's hope they get you taken care of this time.

I looked up your VIN and have a pretty good idea what may have happened. The DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) tell a story of a struggling LVB (Low Voltage Batter-12v) system. There are several faults detected from a couple months ago. Right about the time Power Up 1.7.1 would have downloaded. I suspect your LVB never fully recovered from that OTA so when 2.1.0 hit, it dropped the voltage low enough to activate the load shedding process. That led to the multiple fault code messages you observed in the car and the dozens of DTCs stored in the car's memory.

When your car was at the dealership this week, they pulled the codes and they led them to look up

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Loss Of Power, Stop Safely Now Message In The IPC, Illuminated MIL With DTC P1A10, U0293 And/Or U1011 - Built On Or Before 20-Mar-2021

Which has them reprogram the PCM and then look for available updates for several other modules.
Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPower-Up 1.7.1 followed by Stop Safely Now. 1641701897147

It does NOT appear they did this. They looked it up but I don't see where they actually programmed anything.

They also looked up the 21P22 Calibration notice but it doesn't appear they did that either.
Maybe there is a Ford Tech that can look at this view and confirm I am reading this correctly?
Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPower-Up 1.7.1 followed by Stop Safely Now. 1641702266822

I suppose the TSB 21-2245 reprogram can be completed in 22 minutes but FSA 21P22 should take around 90 minutes according to the paperwork. In either case, there should be a Network Test and Self Test after each reprogram and I don't see it here.

The front page of the PTS still shows that 21P22 is still available for your car along with the two glass safety recalls. This vehicle is a pre-OKTB car. Nov 20 2020 build date.
Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPower-Up 1.7.1 followed by Stop Safely Now. 1641702629801

My car experienced something very similar to this and I know of at least 2 other vehicles with nearly identical stories. When you take your car in on Monday, feel free to let them know there are several of us here with these same symptoms. They need to update the PCM like the TSB says and then they need to install the 21P22 Software Calibration Update. That second one is tricky so they need to read the instructions (attached).

Let me know when you get your car back and I'll look to make sure they ran the Network Test and Self Test and it all passed.

You also might consider turning off Automatic Updates on your Sync screen. It might be easier on your LVB to download and install the updates at your convenience. I think Ford should consider running some sort of LVB system check/text prior to sending automatic OTAs.

Good luck!

Attachments

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag

I looked up your VIN and have a pretty good idea what may have happened. The DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) tell a story of a struggling LVB (Low Voltage Batter-12v) system. There are several faults detected from a couple months ago. Right about the time Power Up 1.7.1 would have downloaded. I suspect your LVB never fully recovered from that OTA so when 2.1.0 hit, it dropped the voltage low enough to activate the load shedding process. That led to the multiple fault code messages you observed in the car and the dozens of DTCs stored in the car's memory.

When your car was at the dealership this week, they pulled the codes and they led them to look up

Loss Of Power, Stop Safely Now Message In The IPC, Illuminated MIL With DTC P1A10, U0293 And/Or U1011 - Built On Or Before 20-Mar-2021

Which has them reprogram the PCM and then look for available updates for several other modules.
Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPower-Up 1.7.1 followed by Stop Safely Now. 1641702629801

It does NOT appear they did this. They looked it up but I don't see where they actually programmed anything.

They also looked up the 21P22 Calibration notice but it doesn't appear they did that either.
Maybe there is a Ford Tech that can look at this view and confirm I am reading this correctly?

I suppose the TSB 21-2245 reprogram can be completed in 22 minutes but FSA 21P22 should take around 90 minutes according to the paperwork. In either case, there should be a Network Test and Self Test after each reprogram and I don't see it here.

The front page of the PTS still shows that 21P22 is still available for your car along with the two glass safety recalls. This vehicle is a pre-OKTB car. Nov 20 2020 build date.

My car experienced something very similar to this and I know of at least 2 other vehicles with nearly identical stories. When you take your car in on Monday, feel free to let them know there are several of us here with these same symptoms. They need to update the PCM like the TSB says and then they need to install the 21P22 Software Calibration Update. That second one is tricky so they need to read the instructions (attached).

Let me know when you get your car back and I'll look to make sure they ran the Network Test and Self Test and it all passed.

You also might consider turning off Automatic Updates on your Sync screen. It might be easier on your LVB to download and install the updates at your convenience. I think Ford should consider running some sort of LVB system check/text prior to sending automatic OTAs.

Good luck!
I can't thank you enough for all this help! I can't imagine what shitcreek I would be up without you and this forum, that know so much and are so willing to help those of us who don't know all the ins and outs of the technical stuff.

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag

Good luck!
At the dealership now and the car has been in for a half hour so far. I spoke with the technician when I got here to ask why the updates weren't completed when I was here Thursday. He didn't give me an excuse and just kinda shrugged his shoulders. The service manager was there while I gave him an earful on how this second trip back could have been avoided. Service manager did not look happy... I explained everything you did to me and how you were able to see everything they did and more importantly DID NOT do but should have. They made sure I knew they would do the Calibration and any other updates they are able to do. Fingers crossed they actually do them this time.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
At the dealership now and the car has been in for a half hour so far. I spoke with the technician when I got here to ask why the updates weren't completed when I was here Thursday. He didn't give me an excuse and just kinda shrugged his shoulders. The service manager was there while I gave him an earful on how this second trip back could have been avoided. Service manager did not look happy... I explained everything you did to me and how you were able to see everything they did and more importantly DID NOT do but should have. They made sure I knew they would do the Calibration and any other updates they are able to do. Fingers crossed they actually do them this time.
Good. Let's see if things go better this time. Most importantly is to run the Network Test and module Self Test when they are done.

Your ABS module might not pass. If so, them let them know that might be a bug. There is a notice in the system that talks about the phantom ABS module fail. Everything else should be green though.....

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Good. Let's see if things go better this time. Most importantly is to run the Network Test and module Self Test when they are done.

Your ABS module might not pass. If so, them let them know that might be a bug. There is a notice in the system that talks about the phantom ABS module fail. Everything else should be green though.....
Still hanging out here but last update said they needed to look at something in the back, they were vague so not sure what they are looking at. They said all the other updates and calibration had been done though. Any chance you can confirm somehow?

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
SSM 50383 - 2021 F-150/Mustang Mach-E - Over-The-Air (OTA) Failed Message In The Center Touchscreen / SYNC Software Does Not Download From The USB

Some 2021 F-150/Mustang Mach-E vehicles may display OTA Update Not Successful messages on the vehicle’s center touchscreen. Also, when a software update is being performed on the accessory protocol interface module (APIM) using the FDRS, the center touchscreen may not indicate the APIM software is downloading when plugging a USB drive into the vehicle. This may be due to an APIM software concern.Inform customers that Ford is currently working on a solution for this condition that is to be released via the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) in February 2022. Inform the customer that they can continue to drive the vehicle and only need to schedule a follow-up appointment if they are still experiencing the OTA Update Not Successful message in March 2022 or if the APIM is not able to beupdated via the FDRS. Monitor OASIS for updates.

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
So a quick update for anyone still having any issues and haven't been to the dealership. The dealership did the 21P22 Calibration recall, on top of updating a bunch of modules and kept working it out until they all passed. The full write up is a lot to look at but it really did help to know what it needed going in this morning. Overall it took them 5 and half hours to get everything done. Outcome is I now have the better charging curve for DCFC charging which is a significant improvement! Normally at the DCFC charger in town, going from 80-100%, it would take about 2 hours, tonight it took about 45 minutes. I should also have better PaaK but had my keys with me to bring it to the dealership so haven't had a chance to see if it's better yet. I'll attach the full work up from the dealership if anyone is interested in what it says.
Ford Mustang Mach-E FordPower-Up 1.7.1 followed by Stop Safely Now. 20220110_161319

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Went out to the car to get some lunch. Dead LVB again... it's -8F outside and there is nowhere to plug in my car to keep the battery warm. I'm on my last bit of patience with this... help?!
Sponsored